Who's a Mike Campbell fan?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Toronto Tele, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Toronto Tele

Toronto Tele Tele-Meister

I hope so too. I have to believe that Tom and the Heartbreakers must have so many more songs in the vault that future albums will come our way. The Live Anthology album is one of my favorites and I would love to see a "Live Anthology 2". Listening to Tom Petty radio on Sirius XM I've heard so much more great live stuff that would make a great album. We can only hope. ;)

2. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Huge fan of Mike Campbell!
    That fact was further established when my wife got me The Blue Stingrays CD. One of the best surf albums ever, though some think it sounds too perfect/polished for surf music.
    Check this Goldfinger cover!

Toronto Tele likes this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Wouldn’t call myself a fan, per se. But I have definitely enjoyed all his work that I have heard...and that’s a good bit. Also like his taste in guitars.

4. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

Tom Petty band never really grabbed me.pleasant but a little too middle of the rock road to me, like Refugee just sort of hobbles along (sorry, fans!) trying to be heavy like Neil Young/Crazy Horse, a little bit like Patti Smith band. I do like their more acousticy stuff, jingle jangle.i don't see them as a rock band and i kinda cringe when MC tries to be Jimmy Page.There are 100+ players who could play rings around him in that style.
    Anyway, like others, iv.e watched the MC 'guitars' vid and despite the dreaded dreads (fashion faux pas f white guys in my book) i was thrilled.He seems exactly a player like me.He is not a guitar hero like Hendrix, Clapton et al but like George Harrison can do a lot of things extremely well so hats off to him.
    I must say i've seen a few later live videos that sounded pretty good to me and the live anthology.maybe some of you might point out some album songs that kick some ass because i must admit i stopped listening after the first 3 albums.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

Saw it on Youtube the day it came out, many times :) so grateful to the person who uploaded it. thanks for sharing it here for everyone.

I think they used two camera mics (no mics on the amps, not sure if the deluxe amp is on?) and there’s a lot of swirly stuff going on if you watch with headphones. Gotta see it again and get those licks down, it’s like a long awaited Mike Campbell masterclass... Love MC!

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

When Tom Petty became popular in the UK, I liked his music (what I heard of it on radio) but my taste was usually for heavier / rockier music. So, although I liked it, I never went to any of his gigs or bought albums. Bad move on my part.

In the last 5 years or so, my tastes have broadened and Tom Petty became of greater interest - partially due to a work colleague being a major fan of his.

Mike Campbell was a name I knew but as I got more into TP's music, I really started to appreciate what a considered and versatile guitarist Mike is. I was hoping to catch a TP gig but his untimely death has scuppered that ambition.

However, I've been acquiring TP, TP&H, Mudcrutch and Blue Stingray albums. I wish they'd re-release the Blue Stingrays album on vinyl as copies are rarer than Unicorn droppings and hugely expensive. I have a downloaded copy but I'm old-school and like to check out album art and sleeve notes.

Here's hoping Mike and whichever band he resurrects / creates visits the UK. If he does, I'll be there....

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  7. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Great band and Mike Campbell is one of my favorite guitarist.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Me.

9. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Who isn’t? He’s amazing.

10. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I stumbled across this on youtube.. incredible! Love Mike!

Recorded in 2012 before Tom died... but ya, Mike is a wonderful guitarist and human being. I hope he keeps the Mojo going for a long time.

11. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Being like Neil Young/Crazy Horse would be a massive drop in quality for TPATH.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.