Whooa! Your fave very brief moment in a song!

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Major thumbs up to @HoodieMcFoodie for The Doobie Brothers’ “Takin’ it to the Streets” album and that vocal part in “8th Avenue Shuffle.” I have so many happy memories of listening to that album on my dad’s car stereo as a kid, but my favorite from that album is “For Someone Special”:

Love me some Rhodes with tremolo on it...but my favorite parts in this one are the transitions that happen at 3:31, 3:56 and 4:02.
You're welcome friend. I remember hearing 8th Avenue Shuffle on the radio here back in the day but not knowing what or who it was. I had to ring the radio station and get the record library to go through the playlist to find out what it was.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I really used to like the part at 2:45. It sounds heroic and bold. Not many other songs made such a noble and uplifting statement as this.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So many great moments in this song - from that riff (!!!), Lennon's tortured scream at 4:28, the epic ending...

But the constant highlight is McCartney's bass track. He's everywhere on the neck, driving the song perfectly.

But the moment - just before the epic ending - is that angry, frustrated bass slide he does at 4:35. I wait for it every single time.

- D

In addition to all of the above I have a favorite moment from that song too - when Lennon hits the pickup selector on his guitar and it goes "CLICK!". Bastards at EMI edited it out of the 2009 remaster and the anniversary edition.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar solo on this. It’s not really anything special, it’s just doing the melody. But, there’s a little gap where you can hear Robbie taking a big breath in that makes it clear that this was made by humans. Kills me. And the way the horns come in at the end. Might be my favourite solo ever. Plus, Danko.

Cheers,
Geoff

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I love Bob Ezrin's production. There are lots of neat tidbits on Alice Cooper's records, but for some reason, I always love the very end of Kiss' God of Thunder (~4:06) ... sounds like a humpback whale; the intro is great too (as is Detroit Rock City's)

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

The guitar fill at 50 seconds in. Is that Mick? I pictured Keith playing it when I was a kid, but that sure sounds like Mick's LP.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I think it helps to play the song from the start, but the left of centre section at 3.20 and how it returns to the chorus is one of my favourite musical moments

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Favorite? I don’t know. But listen to the drums from about 3:00-3:04.

Killer. Throughout the whole solo. Just listened to the record on vinyl with nice phones. The drum sound, groove and minimalist fills really stood out.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Where the bongos enter:
1960s: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling," the Righteous Brothers.
1970s: The aforementioned "Sail On," the Commodores.
1980s: "Shattered Dreams, " Johnny Hates Jazz

I'm not a big fan of bongos, but they're certainly effective in those songs.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
Love the jam in Rory Gallagher's "Walk On Hot Coals" live where he uses his volume control to make a great wha sound. I've tried and I'm not even in the same time zone!

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
I really used to like the part at 2:45. It sounds heroic and bold. Not many other songs made such a noble and uplifting statement as this.

Same song.
The hard start up, softening afterwards.

Another one
Lux's Vocals, the 2 Bass hits, then Ivy's hammer on

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
There are sooo many, but this one still raises the hairs on the back of my neck 50 years on.

The whole twin-guitar solo from 3.40 to the end of the track is just beautiful, but at 4.40 to 4.55 those guitars are just...wow. Still one of my favourite 'moments'. And still just about the longest guitar 'solo' I can handle listening to.

You can play this at my farewell.
Congrats!
I've always been aware of Wishbone Ash, and it's not that I've disliked any of their stuff I've heard before. But you've actually prompted me to get off my hindquarters and give them a deeper listen.