Whooa! Your fave very brief moment in a song!

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
The coughing at the beginning of Sweet Leaf by Black Sabbath is one of my favorite sound effects ever.

If I remember correctly it was Tony Iommi who supplied the coughing effects at the beginning of that song.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Got a couple from Walt Mink, a band I listened to a lot in college. This guy, John Kimbrough, was a beast at holding back screaming amps with cranked, overdrive-y mids, and then turning them loose in super crunchy awesomeness.

Volume knob roll-up at 0:29:

And the hammer on/pull off riff at 3:23 in this one, which is kind of a little mini-ornamentation-climax after a series of little licks like these preceding it:

Friend of Leo's
1m42s to 1m52s

Edit ... elihu ... you got the same video? Can't see it this side of the Atlantic ... keeps happening with the new website re: videos!

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
From Pet Sounds the song "Here Today"

At 1:45 just before the cool instrumental break, Brian can be heard directing The Wrecking Crew: "Stop!"
He can be heard about 2:10 or so yelling "Stop" again.

Last edited:

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The moment comes in at the 1:02 mark, but you need to listen to the lyric line leading up to it for context:

The harmonica bit that comes in around the 3:46 mark. Again, set up by a line in the lyrics earlier in the song:

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
The break at the end of Won't Get Fooled Again, when Daltrey brings it home -7:45. I mean, come on. It's one of the most iconic moments in the history of rock music.

If you crank the volume up right at 6:38 as the song goes into the keyboard break you can hear a few acoustic guitar strums in the left channel.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
So many great moments in this song - from that riff (!!!), Lennon's tortured scream at 4:28, the epic ending...

But the constant highlight is McCartney's bass track. He's everywhere on the neck, driving the song perfectly.

But the moment - just before the epic ending - is that angry, frustrated bass slide he does at 4:35. I wait for it every single time.

- D

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
There are sooo many, but this one still raises the hairs on the back of my neck 50 years on.

The whole twin-guitar solo from 3.40 to the end of the track is just beautiful, but at 4.40 to 4.55 those guitars are just...wow. Still one of my favourite 'moments'. And still just about the longest guitar 'solo' I can handle listening to.

You can play this at my farewell.

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Rare Rolling Stones song called Sex drive . Great little 2 second blues chord slide back and forth ,after the first or second chorus .by mr Richards . Knocks me out

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I'm talking a sliver of a lick, something super brief... drum etc etc could even be vocal...

Mine is just one guitar note at the beginning of, "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by the Clash.

At 7 sec, one single gtr note grabs me amidst the raucous loud guitars!

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about! I knew exactly what you were describing without even listening to the clip! I listened to that album 24/7 when I “discovered” it about 3 years after it was initially released (I wasn’t quite old enough yet when it was initially released to be hip with it).

The album also kicks off with the perfect intro: “This is a public service announcement BRAP! (Sound of awesome guitar chord stab), with guitarrrrrrrrrrrrrr…

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
There’s a super simple guitar riff, just a single chord that creates a wall of sound about 1:03 in. Kinda dated but still it’s a really impactful moment.