WHOAH! Just because a modeler has 5 million sounds doesn't mean I have to use them all

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Katana 100 M2, it has around 10 user slots, I have never used them.
No need, I have memorized my favorite mode settings, all written down just to have it. No deep editing.

Mode 1, my favorite setting is what I call Two Rock, clean warm full chime, based on Steve Kimock and John Mayer's Two Rock Slow Dancing tone. Close enough but it's not a 6k dollar amp.

Mode 2, is my classic blues rock, I have a tone I copped from a youtube video called Awesome Blues Tone. It is a nice Fenderish blues tone that articulately handles complex chords without any mush or out of phase crop.

Mode 3 wonderfully provides me with a variety of SRV sounding tones. This shows off how the bass mid treble and gain knobs are voiced to really dial in these sounds. Less gain and a tone knobs twist provides the best Peter Green tone I heard out of an amp without any pedals, turn down the gain and get Albatross, turn it up 1/2 way and get throaty Oh Well tone. Killer. I could go on.

Mode 4 provides me with a killer Gary Moore Still Got The Blues tone, and a small tweak away I have two very nice Santana tones, one old school Evil Ways tone, the other one new school Smooth tone.

I don't need to save these tones, they're easy enough to remember. PLUS, it's fun and cool to turn knobs on an amp when playing, unless you're lost. Call it old school, I call it cool school. My main guitar is my '96 G&L ASAT Special three bolt neck. What more do I need?
A tuner, the Kat has no tuner,

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
That's kind of what I do. I used to gig with a Marshall half-stack, so I just use one of the four Marshall models and I'm good to go.
I do something similar with my Katana, I also used to use a Marshall half-stack, so that's the 'sound' I re-create, mainly.

I did give one of the Marshall Code amps a go when I was amp shopping, but I thought it was pretty poor, the Katana just blew it out of the water.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Say hello to the mighty Fender Tonemaster.
"lol" says the Katana 100 Mk2.

Reality is, if you're in a cover band and want to sound "in the ballpark" a multi pack of sounds from a good modeler is a great way to go.

But if you're like me and will never play in a serious cover band by choice and opt to "craft" your own identifiable tone, then I see other options that would be better. This is where a great tube amp w/reverb could work great. My problem is the weight.
I had a Fender Supersonic 22 that had a real deal '65 Deluxe as the amp, and the Burn channel. I used my Deluxe along with my original Hermida Zendrive2 when I wanted to take it to Texas. But I got hurt carrying it and stepped into a 2" depressed area and compressed lower back stuff, the disc's seem OK but I get sciatica.

Today I use and am in love with my Katana 100 Mk2. Yes it's lighter but it's the tone that sells me. It has five modes I use, without deep editing, just the factory front panel. That means I only have the gain, bass, mids, treble, reverb, and presence to get my tone plus some effects like delay or trem. That's it. Absolutely no option overload. It's more like hanging out with a friend.

With my minimal needs for excellent tones I don't need the "save patch" option either, it's so simple to memorize, just like a tube amp. And being on stage and turning to your amp for a quick tweak is cool, looks cool and feels cool, like you're drawing the tone out, like it's alive. You don't get that fun if you just press the patch #27.

And tone is what the Katana is famous for. Also the Katana has a lot of solid state guts which contributes to the Kat NOT sounding like the older modelers with mosquito tones. Newer quality modelers and Kemper don't have those problems.

My Kat allows me to have a simple amp and killer tone with no deep editing.
Plug and play, just like a '65 Deluxe. Old school.

Last edited:

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
I do something similar with my Katana, I also used to use a Marshall half-stack, so that's the 'sound' I re-create, mainly.

I did give one of the Marshall Code amps a go when I was amp shopping, but I thought it was pretty poor, the Katana just blew it out of the water.
I noticed with my Code that the Marshall emulations are pretty good, but the others are crap. Especially the Vox, which sounds like it was modeled after one that had bad tubes.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
There is a sound in my head, and basically every modeler that I get, I end up making that sound happen to a greater or lesser extent. I think that my Hot Rod Deluxe just kinda stuck in my head, and the sound of that clean channel and various dirt boxes is what I go looking to create. Once I find it, I just create variations on a theme. Very clean, not as clean, crunchy and a sorta saturated mid forward single note lead-ish sound. That is really about as far as my interest goes. If I get those sounds out of a new toy, I am generally happy, anything other than that is bonus. So yes, most every modeler since the Pod X3 has met my expectations. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the road often traveled. BTW, my latest is the Blackstar Silverline Standard (with a 10"), and I am having a ball with it. I think that finally I am ready to retire my G-Dec 3 Thirty. The rubber parts turned to goo a few years ago and I haven't used the midi tracks except at a family barbeque last year, it's time to pass the old girl back to Guitar Center from whence she came.

sluglas

Tele-Meister
I use a Zoom G5 in stomp mode for effects only. Playing through an amp.
I added a separate foot switch input wired to bank up and bank down buttons so I don't have to step on 2 buttons at the same time. So now I have 3 pedal boards I use for everything.
Zoom almost made this perfect but

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've always thought of all those presets in every modeler I've ever owned as suggestions - more to show what the unit is capable of than most of them having any practical use.

What I've always done is set up presets tailored to whatever guitar I'm using, then copy them across a bank and assign them each a steadily higher amount of gain. For certain specialty shows like the Beatles shows I do a couple of times a year, I'll pick appropriate effects for certain songs where that effect is essential to a certain song.

It's easy to fall down a rabbit hole with all the available sounds. At one point I used a Pod XT Live and a Variax (and the other guitarist and bass player in that band did, too), and we could do some crazy stuff with those setups. But after a while all the programming becomes too much like work.

- D

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This is why I prefer pedals. I can just click them on and off as needed. If I need to adjust anything, it takes 2 seconds to just bend down and turn a knob.

I have a modeler at home for practice, with 50 or more saved settings. I use no more than 5.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just wish there was a better description of each permutation. For example, if there was a better description of each of the five chorus models, one could choose the best two to try rather than try all of them and learn their nuances.

Also, if it was just a matter of trying each of the four choruses and choosing one, that would be easy enough but it doesn't end there because you also have to choose one of 70 amps, twenty cabinets, 5 compressors, 10 distortions, 8 reverbs, 5 delays, and 50 other effects. Sorting through them can take a huge amount of time, like infinity. It would be much faster and easier if they were all better described.
I get stressed out just reading this, let alone having to actually do it.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I’m lagging behind quite a bit in the modeler hipness parade here (Zoom B-2 and a Behringer V-amp Pro)...but I generally settle on one sound per instrument and treat the device like an amp. Works great for my purposes; the main advantage of the modeling technology for me is the range of amp types available in the initial selection process, and having my tuner and compressor packaged in the same device.

Once I have found what I like I save it and just call that up every time, occasionally going manual for minor tweaks if I need to adjust for the room or to fit around whatever a bandmate is doing.

jageya

Tele-Holic
200+ AMPS is a selling point to get more $$$ when in reality many of those amps sound similar enough. some guys are going nutz for the line 6 catalyst now with a few tones in it that is simpler for $400

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I have a Vox AD30VT on which I use the Twin and AC30 settings And little else; I have a Boss GT-1 on which I’ve set Princeton tone and a Princeton plus a few pedals and use little else.
23 million variations of a distorted amp tone are completely wasted on me. I just want a good edge of breakup tone that cleans up when the guitar volume drops and takes a couple of pedals well.
This is exactly why I like the whole Tonemaster concept.

jageya

Tele-Holic
I have a Vox AD30VT on which I use the Twin and AC30 settings And little else; I have a Boss GT-1 on which I’ve set Princeton tone and a Princeton plus a few pedals and use little else.
23 million variations of a distorted amp tone are completely wasted on me. I just want a good edge of breakup tone that cleans up when the guitar volume drops and takes a couple of pedals well.
This is exactly why I like the whole Tonemaster concept.
i use my older cybertwin amp and older vox ad60 and 120vtx amps and love the fender/vox models on them...

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
My Eleven rack got my to give up my Carvin X-60C. The Headrush MX5 got me to give up my eleven rack. Soundwise I have no beefs with the Elevenrack. But it's a pain to drag one piece of rack gear around without a foot controller. MX5 puts everything on the floor was the biggest reason I bought it to be honest (I once kicked off the Eleven rack with my foot in church). The increased flexibility (more than one delay, etc..) is nice.

I'll eventually get around to working up my basic four tones. But right now I've pretty much got my compressor->Clean Plexi->Delay->Multivoice chorus tweaked to near perfection for fat clean with some sparkle that just barely hints at a bark when you spank it. After my next time up at church I'll start working on my JCM800 tight rhythm crunch. And I'm having trouble remembering the other two basic tones. Lesse - I don't really need a Mk III scoop any more. I don't do Fender since Johan Segeborn tipped me off to the awesomeness that is the Plexi clean tone. I would like a nice AC30, maybe a Trainwreck.

For several decades I was a 1 cable guy. And I still find most of these patches are drowning in way too much reverb. I have a plate reverb on that Plexi clean and I keep mix between 3 and 7%. Unless I'm doing a spaghetti western it's just way way too much for most settings.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I meant to add.. I really liked the Retrowreck Lance Keltner was plugging a few years ago for reasons pertinent to this thread. That was a sweet sounding amp.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Line6 has four choruses in the Helix:

View attachment 953557

If you know you're after something that sounds like a CE-1, you select that. Not knowing how a CE-1 sounds is the same position whether you're doing this on a Helix or staring at the pedal case at the guitar shop wondering which chorus to buy
Not knowing what a CE-1 sounds like virtually guarantees it's not the one you want. Man I loathe that swirling vomit comet. I hated them in the 80's too. I typically use a multivoice chorus that just barely moves.