1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whoa! Is this 57 Champ mains transformer original?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Parliament83, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Parliament83

Parliament83 TDPRI Member

Hi folks,

Just checking on this mains transformer from an early 57 Champ. Weird green cable has me all confused. WTF with the permanent black stripes on the wires? Thinking either rewound tranny and rewired (hence the stripes) or full tranny replacement. I've removed the chassis to see if there is a stamp code on the tranny and there is NONE. Take a look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, NO code on the tranny. Cheers

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

I am far from being an expert on 50's Fenders but I see no reason why this should not be the original. I only find the solder spot on the chassis where two wires go suspect. And maybe Fender would have cut the wires shorter, but you never know...

Anyway Fender used more than one part supplier, and some transformers do have color-coded vs color-stripe-color coded wires, eg. my 1965 Bandmaster does.

3. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

Never seen such an old amp look that pristine...

Cheers
    L-zr

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That wiring does not match the color codes of an American PT, ime. Those Green/black wires should be black. The 6.3VAC heater filament winding should be wired with green.
    These wiring colors are rather 'standardized' for Made in the USA PT's, ime. I suspect that the PT is not original or has been rewound. An original 5F1 PT is numbered 6500.

Really clean amp. What are the date codes on that potentiometer and those electrolytic caps? The black e-capcap is obviously newer. What is the stamped serial number on that chassis? Speaker codes? Curious I am.

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If there's no code on the transformer at all I doubt it would be original. Also, everything Wally said about the wiring colors. Also, those wires seem really long compared to gut shuts of original Fender chassis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.