Who Woulda Thunk It?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

nojazzhere, Toast and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Just “let” it happen?

Maybe an individual or company who believes in such a philosophy should purchase the properties in question.

Lake Placid Blue and Toast like this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I don't know because I suspect there are going to be a hell of a lot more desperate and broke people in the future (possibly me, I live in a fire death trap, but it's cheap rent).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Deathray likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Well, I can't predict the future, but if environmental costs skyrocket, then I suspect the demands for help could overwhelm our governments' abilities to keep up with environmental collapse. We're all just getting started. Personally, if I had investment money, I'd be researching short funds. Yeah, I'm a bear :).

Obsessed likes this.
  6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ya... and who is gonna compensate me for all my bad decisions?

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Build smarter not farther away and expect insurance rates to be high and don’t expect a government bailout from local, state, or federal

8. Bones

No one suggested that your "bad decisions" become public domain.

TheGoodTexan and Toast like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

"When after all, it was you and me..." The rest of us do every time they are flooded out.

omahaaudio and Toast like this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

The farther I could possibly get “away from a hurricane prone coast” is about 4 miles. we are approximately 27x8 miles

11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I hear you. I don't know about St. Croix, but I was reading that the highest elevation in the Bahamas is 40 feet above sea level. That fact would be enough to send me packing, but I'm sure lots of people don't have that choice. I feel for them. I don't have any answers, but it's probably time people start thinking about some.

12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Well, a lot of us thunk it, paid attention to the effects of climate change, and bought our modest properties in places where naturally occurring events (made worse with accelerating changes to climate, and thus weather) are not as high-risk as other places. Of course, some people cannot afford to move (job, whatever) and others have more money to gamble than I do. But when I bought my retirement property, you can be sure I avoided danger zones. Once, after a flood in a place fairly near where I was living at the time, I heard this conversation: "I thought I was safe. It's a 20-year flood plain." "How long ago did you buy the place?" "20, 25 years." In addition to private property, a lot of taxpayer-built infrastructure is being lost, and a lot of dollars burned up in disaster relief.

Toast likes this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Haven't you heard?

Perfect weather for a streamlined world
    There'll be spandex jackets one for everyone

What a beautiful world this will be
    What a glorious time to be free

On that train all graphite and glitter
    Undersea by rail
    Ninety minutes from New York to Paris
    (More leisure for artists everywhere)
    A just machine to make big decisions
    Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
    We'll be clean when their work is done
    We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

C'mon. why start trouble here? You think posting your opinion here will change a single thing?

jackinjax, TheGoodTexan and Toast like this.
  14. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Apologies if you're offended. I don't consider it starting trouble, but if the moderators want to shut it down, I don't have a problem with that.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

There are hundreds of thousands of things we (people in general) could do to avoid most natural disasters and catastrophes, but we don't. (WON'T) Don't expect the public to all of a sudden "get smart" this time. ;)

Toast likes this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

The Bahamas are pretty flat. I think, I my fuddled memory is correct, the highest point on Abaco was only 22-23’ASL
    Personally, my house is about 100’ASL. The base of my driveway is 80’ASL I know people here that are 5-15’ASL

Toast likes this.
  17. Bones

"we" pay for a lot of stuff that doesn't directly impact us
    These things happened long before "climate change' became a "thing". The most devastating hurricane to hit our island occurred in 1938 nothing has even come close to that since. Living on Islands and in coastal towns is a way of life and commerce for many millions of people, it's not a frivolous choice and the way of life in those areas can not be duplicated in Phoenix.

RodeoTex and Toast like this.
  18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That is how it works to some degree. If you follow where some towns have moved over time you'll notice "we" keep paying more for individual disasters but not less overall to get people away from bad places to live.

One town in my state finally moved when another disaster gave them about 1/3 the overall cost to move. They funded the rest.

We're a year and a week from flooding where I live. I ended being neck deep in the city's FEMA claims because I'm a trail steward where the floods did a lot of damage. The whole process of actually making a FEMA claim, following it, and following results from other claims left me very much more informed but also disappointed in some areas of our country. They don't all take the responsibility you would expect from intelligent or moral people.

Toast likes this.
  20. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I've never been in a hurricane, but I think if I lived on an island in a hurricane area I'd think about getting away from storm surge, but then there's the tidal wave of water falling from the sky. That might be enough to get me to buy a boat and chain it to a boulder in the backyard :).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.