Who would you like to see playing guitar for the Grateful Dead?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Feb 12, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

They would have jammed and played each others songs,,,

Such a tragedy, 27, damn.

beyer160 likes this.
  2. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Valid point about Sco. Love Herring but I hate to admit I get tired of his endless single-note lines.

Did you ever hear Bill Frisell play with Phil and Friends a few years back? It was pretty interesting stuff. It's just hard to imagine him in the lead spot since he doesn't tend to wail and bend high notes like anyone in that role normally would. But he's one of the best and most original guitarists ever IMO, and I love his looping textures.

The crowds are my least favorite part about the Dead's resurgence. I'm not a Mayer fan and share your views on his borrowed style, and the whole thing feels like Disney Dead to me. No worries, I saw Further many times and those shows were unreal.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

This is a great example of Kimock's skill as a guitarist,,, and the master of the long jam. Steve's technical, intellectual and emotive deliverance in this clip is beautiful, that's what you walk away with, and you're mind boggled with guitar delight.

Matt Sarad, Chip and Marc Muller like this.
  4. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Lucky to have gotten to play with him AND a bunch of gigs with his son John on drums. John is a genius, one of the best grooves out there.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Austin Jenkins (with 335) in his White Denim days could have killed it. I'm sure he still could.

A good use of 14 minutes (it's only seven, but you'll watch it twice. :D):

One more from the same show:

6. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Steve Kimock.

7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

No Pigpen, no Grateful Dead.

stevemc and Paul in Colorado like this.
  8. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Wow, that's a hard stance. No doubt, he had soul and he could really get the crowd going...but out of the Dead's 30 year career he was only around for a small fraction. Musically, he didn't add much - actually he was holding them back. And really, even when he was around, he still only sang a small portion of the songs. His loss sucked, I enjoy some of his contributions, but the band was more than fine after he passed...better even.

9. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Lots of great suggestions in this thread, and a fun topic! I have to say though, I've seen many different guys fill the role in various projects and their current guy (Mayer) is my favorite. Based on my experiences, here's my list in order of preference:

1. John Mayer
    2. John Kadlecik
    3. Trey Anastasio
    4. Mark Karan
    5. Steve Kimock
    6. Warren Haynes
    I'd like to see Neal Casal get a shot at it and see where it may lead...but I really like what Mayer's doing and want to see that continue for a while.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  10. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Maybe worthy of a poll: Would you want guitar player to be a Jerry clone, tone and style, or someone of the background, yet totally their own player to take the Dead to another place?

11. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Just for the record, he's one of my favorite Dead sets, from January of 1968. Even though it's the same musicians, this is a very different sounding band than the one that would make Workingman's Dead and American Beauty a couple years later. Circa 1968, the Dead were much more of a psychedelic rock band, emphasis on the rock. Most people don't even nkow this part of their career even exists. See also: Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa, both of which I think are highly underrated records, which demonstrate that the "The studio records aren't very good" legend isn't really accurate (and yes, I know Anthem Of The Sun is drawn largely from live tapes, but it's still assembled in the studio in a fashion that was kinda groundbreaking at the time). Anyway, here's the Dead in Eureka, California, 1/20/68:

Oh, and I wouldn't want a Jerry clone in any band that's paying homage to the Grateful Dead. That would be against the spirit of the Grateful Dead.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  12. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

As for "no Pigpen, no Grateful Dead", I've heard people say stuff like that in the past, but I disagree. I think the Dead actually got more interesting as Pigpen's presence waned. Though they kinda abandoned the psychedelic arrangements of the late 60's records, the Dead still went "all the way out" onstage. There's some super improvisations in the shows on the Europe '72 tour (no, I don't have the boxset of the entire tour, but I do have some of the individual shows) that more akin to something like Sun Ra or the Art Ensemble Of Chicago, rather than anything even remotely resembling blues, country, bluegrass or any of the other genres most people associate the Dead with.

The circa '72-'74 era improvs, with Jerry's wah wah pedal freak outs, I think were among the best stuff they ever did.

Chip and Marc Muller like this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

What's the beef between Billy and John?

I really like John. I've hung out with him back stage a few times as my drummer is friends with his former bass player. He made sure I had food for the drive home from Boulder and packed me some left over snacks that were in the green room.

I saw Kimock and John Meyer together at Jerry's birthday bash at Red Rocks a year or so ago with Bobby. That was fun!

I saw my first Dead show at the Family Dog on the Great Highway in San Francisco in 1969. I enjoy Dead & Company, but Jerry was a unique personality and player. There is no replacement.

stevemc likes this.
  14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Jerry. Only Jerry.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

No Jerry, no Grateful Dead. The voice can't be cloned or replaced. But let the music carry on however it may. If people don't like it, they won't go and it'll fade away.

Ben-Zion, Greggorios and Chip like this.
  16. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Jimmy herring

17. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Regarding Kreutzmann opining about Further:
    “I haven’t really got much interest in them. They sound just like the other bands out there doing it. What do you call those bands that copy other bands—” Kreutzmann said. “Anyways, I don’t feel they’re doing anything really new with their music.

“We play Grateful Dead tunes in 7 Walkers but with our own take on everything. We don’t play them slow, we play it loud and up tempo. The saddest thing is that they (Furthur) hired a guitar player that’s not Warren Haynes. It’s too bad. They should have hired a great solo guitar player.”[Press-Republican]

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1
    Nita Strauss
    Phil X

19. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

indeed

20. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

First off, I have to put it out there.....I like the country covers with Bobby, always have.

Now that that's out there, Barry Sless and Neal Casal are good suggestions. I want to add Luther Dickinson. He might not play that way all the time, but I think he could pull it off if it came down to it and do a good job.

Chip likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.