Who would have thunk it? Line noise content.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by kingofdogs1950, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

So, my homebrew 6G3/6G11-ish amp is quiet and a very fine sounding amp. I noticed that when I turned on a CD player (on the same circuit) I get some very funny noise. The TV also causes noise. I ran an extension cord (a good one) across the room to a outlet that I knew to be on a different circuit. I go back and fire up the amp to see if I am getting noise from the new circuit. It happened that the guitar was turned up a fair bit from playing before my experiment so when I hit a chord it was LOUD, and a big surprise. The amp is now so quiet that I have to turn it waaaaay up before I hear enough background hiss to tell that it is on. (This in the middle, hum-canceling position but the hum in a single coil PU on in the bridge position is ,maybe, 50% quieter than it was. ) I am amazed.
    I've read other threads about folks having trouble with "dirty" line current but I had no idea that mine was causing problems and that a different circuit (from the kitchen as it happens...) could make such a difference. I swear that the amp sounds better too. I have to think a good line conditioner/regulator will help even more.

Mark

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for posting some real world insight gained from inexpensive trial and error.
    Dirty electricity is no amp's friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.