Who would have been Elvis Presley's next guitarist?

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
I was going to suggest Tommy Emmanuel also, he was doing some very tasty stuff on the tele in the late 70s
Thing is, too, a call from Elvis might make you reevaluate your priorities a bit too, particularly if you were 'that' age...

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
In a parallel universe the Colonel dies on the toilet. Elvis quits the Vegas Shows and sells Graceland.

He kicks around the US as a bit of a lost soul but after John Lennon is shot he decides to retire from music and everything associated with it and goes into reclusiveness.

He becomes a close friend of some of the Californian intellectuals, quits his pharma addiction and spends the first half of the 1980s in and around the Esalen Institute near Big Sur.

Following an episode of 'enlightenment' he moves to a farm in Ceredigion in West Wales (after all Elvis is a Welsh name and Presley and Irish/Scots name) to connect with his celtic roots.

Around the mid 90s, he begins to feel the pull of music and the US all over again. However, the UK Britpop and lad culture is anathema to him, so also is the grunge scene in the US.

He decides to decamp to France and spend his time reading Albert Camus, listening to Django and occasionally dining with Johnny Halliday.

A chance meeting at a 12 step group leads a friend of a friend to introduce him to a now sober Joe Walsh around 1998 and the rest as they say is history right up until his death in 2016 two days after Prince.

old soul

Tele-Holic
nah I imagine a middle aged guy with a mullet, a suit jacket with the sleeves rolled up and a t-shirt underneath, and a strat with way too much compression.
Funny, I had an image of 80s Clapton pop in my head after reading that. Maybe phil Collins could've been the drummer, and Miami vice jackets all around!

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
First thing that popped into my head was Scotty Moore coming back.

I think somebody mentioned this, back in 2020 (before I came here).

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My thoughts immediately go to the absurd... in this case I imagined latter-day Elvis as David Lee Roth in the VH "Panama" video, flying around the stage, smashing into things.

How about Myley Cirus riding Elvis as the Wrecking Ball? They could do a tour together. Maybe get some old celebrities to stand around on stage and they could knock 'em off the stage into a net.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I was thinking that as time goes by there is less interest in Elvis music with his fans aging. Has much of his music become less well known.
That doesn’t seem to the case with the Beatles catalog but perhaps it will.
I have a decent number of Elvis tunes in my Music Library but I rarely, if ever play any of it.
That said, before the pandemic Graceland attracted 750,000 visitors a year.

Elvis rocked but had WAY too many "teddy bear" ballads that were basically the same sappy tune rehashed and aimed at adolescent girls....

Those have not held up very well IMO

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Think of it this way. Elvis has died and probably gone to hell. So, any other great country guitarist that has drank himself to death and gone to hell could be his current guitarist.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
Somewhere out there on the web there’s a great article on the total collapse of the Elvis Presley collector market .

Records, memorabilia , etc - all through the floor.

Aging, dying fans, younger generations with NO interest in their grandma and grandpa’s music.

The Beatles will take longer (they still have a gigantic marketing machine opersting*) but - it will happen.

*I laughed when I saw recently “the 55th anniversary of Rubber Soul !” :eek::lol:
George was right. All thing must pass.:cool:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Think of it this way. Elvis has died and probably gone to hell. So, any other great country guitarist that has drank himself to death and gone to hell could be his current guitarist.
You bring up a very serious problem. Since even though hell is pretty big, there are so many guitarists there that finding a gig is pretty difficult. Since no gigs, means no money, most of the guitarist sit around all day long at Guitar Center playing Stairway endlessly wishing they could find at least one gig, but alas, there are so many players, and so few venues. The players all hope that the rumors of Guitar Center going under are baseless, lest they have NO place to play.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
You bring up a very serious problem. Since even though hell is pretty big, there are so many guitarists there that finding a gig is pretty difficult. Since no gigs, means no money, most of the guitarist sit around all day long at Guitar Center playing Stairway endlessly wishing they could find at least one gig, but alas, there are so many players, and so few venues. The players all hope that the rumors of Guitar Center going under are baseless, lest they have NO place to play.

And how is this different from being alive?