Who would buy used lollar WRHB for $150 shipped?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fender4life, May 11, 2013.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking of trying one but i'm really worried about tossing $200+shipping down the drain if i'm not happy with it. So i want to see what my chances are of being about to cut my losses to a minimum if i do. Who would jump on a lollar wrhb for $150 shipped via paypal?

2. MyTwangyGuitar

MyTwangyGuitar TDPRI Member

There's your answer. I bought one to test and quickly unloaded it. I have several original Fender WRHBs and the Lollar sounded *nothing* like them. Nothing.

3. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Have you tried Telenator's offerings?

4. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

I have the Lollar Regal in a 72RI Custom. Great pick up. If I didn't already have one (purchased new), I'd be all over it.

5. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

Have you tried any of the others on the market? Do any of them sound anything near authentic?

Do the Lollars sound good at least?

6. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

It's hard to compare these pickups, eh? You can't tell anything from soundclips on the internet, at least I can't. I just bought and installed a used set from a local musician who demonstrated them for me side by side with my MIM 72 Tele Deluxe Reissue. I've never heard a real/vintage WRHB, so my only point of comparison is the MIM version. I was quite blown away. I really liked the MIM pickup UNTIL I heard the Lollars in action: they are very clear, articulate and full sounding. The MIM ones sounded quite drab and muffled in comparison. I won't bother the with more subjective descriptions.

If you are just buying one for a Tele Custom (?? because you are only buying one), then I might wonder if it's worth the gamble. Don't get me wrong, I love the Lollar in the neck, but for me, the action is in the bridge and middle position and they sound great there. But at $150, I think you will have some takers.

7. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

I had the MOD1 done on my Deluxe.

The difference is night and day even with just the MOD1.

Where they were muddy and didn't stand out, the mod makes them brighter and they also have lots of harmonics too. They are alive.

The price is more than reasonable for what you get in return.

8. MyTwangyGuitar

In re-reading the original post, I see the question was if 150.00 was a good deal, it was not about whether it was a close match to a Fender WRHB. If you know what you want, any way that you can save money is a good thing. I'm merely stating it does not sound like an original Fender WRHB, it may very well be a sound that you like.

To my ears, the Lollar was missing a lot of the top end that the original Fender WRHB dishes out. Again, this may be what would please you. The pickups that Fender calls a WRHB and installs in their current guitars are nothing more than a regular humbucker with the nice engraved cover. Those original pickups were what made those guitars in my opinion, you just can't get that sound with a regular humbucker.

Replacing a reissue with a Lollar would be a step in the right direction. Some folks install 500K pots in the guitar to let more highs through.

I have no experience with Telenator's version although I have browsed his site and read up on his project. Using CuNiFe threaded magnets as the original did, is going to get you closer than any other currently manufactured pickup. I'm sure they are great sounding pickups; I can't believe people think they are pricey. Considering the time, tooling and research alone, he isn't making any profit on the pickups. I think it's great that he took on the project.

Below are a couple of videos where I use original Fender WRHBs. 'Midnight Rambler' is the bridge position in my Telecaster Deluxe. The 'Carol' solo is the neck position (my favorite) in my reissue '72 Deluxe. I installed one of the several original Fender WRHBs from my stash in the '72 reissue.

I hope this info helps you in your quest...

9. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

Those videos sound phenomenal, what amps are you using?

10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

i tried one of them, but it shall remain nameless because the guy gave me customer service beyond the call. So i don't want to name him since i didn't care for it. Others may like his version regardless of what I thought, and naming the guy could hurt his rep, so i won't. But it sounded ok, just too much like a regular HB.
    The seemingly widely held belief that the fender RI sounds like a regular HB is so beyond me i nearly scratched a hole in my scalp trying to figure that out. I had a custom guard in mine for a while and tried 3 regular humbuckers and all 3 while about as different from each other as any regular HB ever gets from the next, all sounded worlds different than the RI WRHB. It may not sound like the originals, but it does to my ear exactly what is always said about the originals.....huge single coil sound and single coil like dynamics. I'd actually be very happy with them except for one HUGE flaw they have.....the wound strings EQ is WAY different than the plain. That IMO is why people find them muddy, because if you brighten your amp enough so they aren't, the plain strings will be so much brighter and harsher than is even usable and also much louder than the wounds. So you turn the amp's brightness down to the point the plain strings are as bright as you can accept and still be usable and at that point the wound strings are way past the point of being just muddy and are downright hideously muddy.

That said, i did the telenator mod myself and i tried both A2 and A5 in each pickup and even a combination. Result? MUCH better. But still the issue exists to a much smaller degree. Normally i wouldn't even bother and leave a guitar as is. But this guitar is such a special one to me that i'd really like the pickups to absolutely kill. But the one i tried sounded too much like a regular HB, and for a couple posts in this thread i'm thinking the lollar may too. So i think i will just leave well enough alone for now.

11. MyTwangyGuitar

Nothing more than a Line 6 Gearbox.

12. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

omg it IS you! Your videos are phenomenal! I've got your Chuck Berry DVD.

13. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Great Playing! Thanks!:D

14. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Who would buy used lollar WRHB for $150 shipped?

I would

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.