1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHO WILL RECONE A JBL E110?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by John_B, Feb 27, 2021.

1. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Weber now recones JBL's again but only the 12" & 15".

My local speaker repair tech "might" be able to assemble a repair kit from 5 different sources, maybe. I don't need this.

Is there a speaker service that will professionally recone a 10" JBL???

2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

muscmp likes this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

muscmp, Engine Swap and Bedder18 like this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Check out DSR Audio. They specialize in JBL. I've had good work from them.

Bob

5. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

***EDIT. Suggested using parts from a 2123h variant. Looked into it closer and realized the 2123h is a double rolled surround, while the E110 is a triple. 2123 is a curved cone, and e110 is straight. 2123 has more cone mass. This won’t work. Sorry

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

The Speaker Exchange www.reconingspeakers.com assisted this technically challenged, fumble-fingered old fart when I came into a pair of blown K110 JBLs. Prior to this, I had used assembled kits from Simply Speakers to rebuild both a K120 and an E120 successfully, but when I called about kits for my K110s, they said that the current unmentionable situation had killed that end of their business. Enter the Speaker Exchange- they agreed to assemble a couple of their kits into a drop in assembly for an upcharge for the labor to do it. The kits work in either the E110 or K110. Hope this helps.

Engine Swap likes this.
  7. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

THANK YOU ALL! I know this will be expensive and if I pay the price I want it done right, by people who know what they are doing.

My problem is I know nothing about speaker repair, especially old JBL's. I sense and am told this is becoming harder and harder but I open my eyes and see a lot of JBL's are still being used.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

The biggest problem with speaker repair in general, is that the glues and especially the solvents required to do the job properly are extremely toxic. Many folks who start repairing speakers ignore this, until they end up really sick and often die.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Wally likes this.
  9. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Check out Dutch at Vin-Tone he’s really good with old JBLs

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

There is a relatively local guy named John Mueller . His roots go to Clair Brothers Audio . John can rebuild almost anything that looks like a speaker . Sorry that I don't have a number , but he used to be in Richland , Pa . . He also does Professional audio . I just looked and you can find him at Mueller Speakers . There is a phone number and an eMail address . It will be difficult to find anyone more qualified .

11. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Contact emails sent out. Wish me luck and thanks again!

Just curious, who makes the closest sounding speaker to a JBL? I see love and dislike for the Weber California and saw one favorable review for the Beyma Liberty 12. Also saw on the Steel Guitar Forum a like for Celestion Greenbacks. This suprised me.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I dont think there are many equivalents to the 10" JBL out there. JBL's are weird for sure. A very "flat angle" cone (ie: not a deep cone) How big is the voice coil on a D110/E110? I haven't played through a JBL D110 in 50 years. It was a Super Reverb with the factory D110's

13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Neal’s Speakers in Colfax, CA. They have re-coned my D120f’s and re-foamed the woofers in my mid-‘70s jbl home stereo speakers.

“It was a Super Reverb with the factory D110's.” Whoa! Heavy, loud and clean?

14. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

3" per JBL specs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.