Who will buy a Fender Harvard Kit???

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Niles, May 29, 2012.

1. Niles

Niles Tele-Meister

Okay, I haven't been able to find anyone who offers a real Harvard 5F10 kit.
    I have been poking Mojo, trying to coax them into offering a complete kit. They need a lot of people (customers) who have a similar interest before a Harvard kit will be added to their product line. They have to meet a 100 piece minimum to have the chassis made. So I am just passing this along in case you guys are interested. Let them hear from you!

2. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Funny you should bring it up, I've been thinking about this amp. I can appreciate where you are coming from. A Harvard would have the proper chassis. And a kit would have the right board and components.

That said, It would be fairly simple to build a Harvard in a 5E3 chassis. And, as the Harvard has plenty of power, it would benefit from a big speaker in a larger 5E3 combo cabinet.

With a Boot Hill 5e3 Chassis (and most other 5E3 chassis) there are four inputs for two channels. The Harvard is a single channel amp with three inputs. For aesthetics, one could install four input jacks to the single channel (or put two plastic plugs).

Now the 7 pin socket for the 6AT6 will fit in the hole for the 12AX7, so that's ok.

You would have an additional hole in the front for another knob and pot. That could be a master volume, a bass control or a presence control (Harvard has a negative feedback circuit). Of course, it would likely be mislabeled.

You could make it fixed bias or cathode bias. Anybody wants a hack job kit like this (so to speak), let me know. Same price as chassis kit for 5E3 (without transformers).

I'll make up a nice blue custom turret board for it.

BTW, not long ago, somebody got a group together and got Weber to make a run of Tremolux Chassis.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Fixed bias is a must, otherwise it is just a 5E3 with NFB.

Given a 5E3 kit and if I were to convert it to a Harvard, I would use the extra hole for a three pole two position switch, use a dual 1M pot for the tone control, use the second section for the treble control in a BF TB tone stack. Adjusted the treble capacitor for the 1M pot. The second channel volume control would be used as the bass control. Added a 1M resistor on the input of the cathodyne PI for good measure.

I found I liked the change from Tweed to BF on the sort-of Harvard I made (used 12AQ5's instead of 6V6's). I think with a 6AT6 I could get mild breakup in the BF position (sucks a lot of gain) and with 6AV6 in the first position I had more than enough gain to get dirty.

The amp is still out on loan so I am going on a shaky memory. I had a number of options in mine, it was a test case to see what mods I might like. I would not bother with them other than the BF option and maybe use a BF NFB in order to use a capacitor on the second stage cathode for added gain. Might have needed it for the BF tone stack, using a 4 pole switch it could automatically be switched in with the stack. A bit of a stretch from just co-opting a 5E3 board I know, maybe just a small perf board for the BF tone capacitors and resistor.

In the BF position

[​IMG]

You know, I think I just figured what amp to make for my nephew.

4. EdMax

EdMax Tele-Meister

5. printer2

And he takes good pictures also.

6. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

I did it with a 5f2a chassis (originally a Marsh kit). I used a chassis punch to add a second octal and a hole for the 7-pin and drilled another for a third 1/4" input. I love my Harvard. It'd be great if somebody would produce a Harvard kit. Under-appreciated amp, for sure.

7. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

A Harvard chassis in a 2-10 cab would be a great gigging amp.

8. Niles

Niles Tele-Meister

Okay you Pros are talking complete homebrew and I admire that but I need simple and easy. I built a Mojo Pro last summer and that went well. So I am hoping to convince Mojo to offer a kit or at least a proper chassis. If they dont then I guess I will modify a 5E3.

9. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

10. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

Depending on the cost I might want something like that. It'd be a while down the road though, getting ready to start my 5E3 before too long.

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pardon my ignorance but what would be the benefit of a Harvard over a princeton or deluxe, besides the fact that Steve Cropper played it?

12. printer2

A Harvard is a Princeton 6G2 without the tremolo so that might be one way to go. Might even be easier than using a Deluxe 5E3 board as it already has the fixed bias. The Deluxe went from the 5E3 to the 5G3 which has a LTP phase inverter so it has a different flavor than the cathodyne amps.The 5E11 Vibrolux is another option, pretty much the same as the Princeton 6G2 other than it uses the second triode in the first stage as the tremolo while the Princeton uses the phase inverter tube.
    Whether the sound of a 7 pin tube changes the sound as compared to a 9 pin, can't say.

13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Cool little amp. If you're a "Collect 'em all!" type ya just gotta have one doncha know?

12AT6 / 12AV6 tubes are dirt cheap compared to 12AY7s.

Fixed bias and more gain (compared to a Deluxe) makes a Harvard one bad little mutha.

14. printer2

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

...except I'm a little balled up. Harvard uses a 6AT6 'cuz the 12AY7 (or AT or AX) humbucking filament thing doesn't apply. Still a dirt cheap tube. Grab a few before a commercially available Harvard chassis shows up. They won't stay cheap for long.,

16. printer2

Couldn't help myself, bought 4.

17. Niles

Niles Tele-Meister

My first amp was a Harvard and it had a sweeter tone to my ears than a 5E3 and I have owned an original 5E3 as well. They ARE different.

18. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

Actually, the tweed Harvard is closer to a Vibrolux minus the trem. On the ones that I have built, I've used the Vibrolux fiber board and omitted the trem ckts.

Attached Files:

19. printer2

Actually what I was saying. You could use either a Vibrolux or Princeton board as they are basically the same circuit but one uses V1 for the tremolo while the other uses V2.

20. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Printer, what will you do with those 12 volt tubes? Can you make the heater work on 6volts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.