1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who will admit they are a fan of Joe Bonamassa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Talented player, but too obsessed with excesses.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What I'm surprised about is how little impact he's having on the music scene in general.
    He has a LOT of fans who are clearly into guitar-based Rock/Blues.
    The folks I know who are playing similar stuff in clubs are not seeing an increase in attendance, nor are they hearing, "I got into Joe B, so I'm out looking for more stuff like that.
    The music business is so weird, and it's clearly driven by a public who act very differently to what I became accustomed to in the past.
    When we came across something we liked, we went out in search of MORE of it.
    If I was a Joe fan/concert attendee, I wouldn't be waiting a year for the next time he came through town, I'd be prowling the clubs for more stuff like him.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Guy works hard and does the best he can with his talents.
    Seems to have fun too!
    Nice gear.
    What's not to like?

Anybody wish we had his life?
    Naaaaaaaaa!
    Lies!
    Lies!

Lockback, teletimetx, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  4. telemnemonics

Maybe he does the opposite, since we know there are not a lot of Blues shredding rack of original Bursts toting row of Tweed Twins in the backline bar bands out there?

That or his fans are all teetotalers?

5. telemnemonics

Yeah, electric guitar players and fans just hate obsession with excesses!

6. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is perfectly stated.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I don't have any of his records or anything, so I guess I cannot say I'm a fan. I just went on YouTube though and watched a video of him and Clapton playing an old blues standard. I mean...he's certainly not any worse than the Grateful Dead or any of the other bands that were featured in the August 2020 edition of the monthly "which bands do you hate that everybody loves" thread.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I really don't get that whole JB in a suit & the shiny shoes with sunglasses on stage & the slicked back hair thing

it's actually kinda creepy & IMO detracts from JBs' positive attributes ....... it all seems contrived, inorganic & it's still creepy ............

9. charlie chitlin

I'm not a fan, per se...meaning I don't seek out his stuff; but he's a damn fine player and I think he's done his due diligence/paid his dues.
    He's probably practiced more than almost any 5 of us put together.
    I'm pretty sure he's got a good amount of control over a lot of his own stuff...recordings, concerts, merch...he seems to have a lot of artistic freedom.
    He's bringing loud electric guitars to the people and making bank in the process.
    Nobody bitches about Gary Clark Jr.
    He's got chops, a voice, and I think he even writes some good songs.
    He's got a guitar collection to die for.
    I've never heard a harsh word from someone who has met him personally.
    There are a few reasons to bash him...none of them good.

10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Well, a few of the old 'real' blues men weren't shy of changing their thatches and duds for on-stage performances. :D

[​IMG]

Mike Eskimo and telemnemonics like this.
  11. charlie chitlin

Really?
    I'm pretty sure he's walking a pretty well-trodden path.
    lightning.jpg

12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

"Who will admit..." ??? He's a respected killer player...I'm not buying his albums, but I like his playing.....

rstaaf, Fretting out and Wallaby like this.
  13. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

I'd say that much of the "blame" has to lay with his parents... after all, where did he learn to buy and sell guitars, and where did he learn to handle his money?
    As far as I can tell, his worst habits are buying and selling guitars, and playing too many notes. He is self-confessed as to being verbally excessive.
    He has admitted to having been infatuated with all things "Eric Johnson Tone", right down to the pick, in front of Eric Johnson and to Eric Johnson. I have yet to hear of Eric Johnson having a negative thing to say about Joe Bonamassa.
    Joe said that he was influenced by British blues more than American blues, and that would explain much of the inspiration for his style. He is also a "Chicken Pickin' Madman", and I don't believe that we have been shown everything that he knows, just what he chooses for us to see. I honestly would not be surprised to see "Joe Bonamassa Two Hand Tapping", or "Joe Bonamassa Slide", or "Joe Bonamassa Bebop Jazz". How many of us aspire to competency in those techniques/genres?
    Joe Bonamassa is a lot more like us than we are like him. He's just better at it.

Ronzo and spurgie79 like this.
  14. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know who Joe Banamassa is but I think Joe Bonamassa is one of the best guitar players still alive and performing. If you want an example of his ability check out this live performance of Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa - Beth & Joe - I'd Rather Go Blind.

If you don't like sad songs, Pretty women or nipples, you can click forward to 4:28 in the video for what I consider to be one of the best solo's I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I rank it up there with Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Prince, Stevie Ray or Jimi as iconic examples of what a solo should look and sound like.

Warning grab a tissue.

Lost_N_Austin

Glen W, DekeDog, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  15. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I watched through this whole video twice and not once did I catch a hint of Joe's nipples.

That being said, this song feels like it was lifted from any episode of a sitcom or Romantic Comedy where the male lead comes to the realization that he has been a shallow ass this whole time and that life be much more fulfilling if he could only catch the female lead who is boarding a train leaving town never to return...

The performance was competent, the playing proficient, and the whole experience was as emotionally resonant as a commercial about car insurance.

Has Joe got chops? Undisputed chops. Will I remember watching this video a week, or even an hour from now? Doubtful, unless I get an email regarding the renewal of my car insurance.

16. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I remember seeing stuff from when he was a kid. Didn't he get up on the stage with Gatton at least once?

Nowadays, I'd say that he is one of the very best at what he does. Some of the other people I respect (and may even prefer to listen to), have the same respect...and are sometimes trading licks onstage with him.

I'd say there's room for everyone playing good music with a guitar. Even if it's a particular genre that I may not feature at the time.

Ronzo likes this.
  17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am not sure I have ever heard him play over twenty seconds and can’t name any of his songs or music.

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I never heard of him until I came here. Since then I’ve seen some videos and TV performances and my take is this -

Joe is the guy many of us home players aspire to be. He is a solid, if not inspiring player, who gets to play his music in front of large crowds using gear most of us can only see in a museum. He’s living “The Life”. Not only do I not begrudge him his success, I would love to be in his shoes.

Joe B., however, will never be one of my guitar idols. First, he came along after many of my idols and second, his playing just doesn’t juice me in the way Clapton, Hendrix, Dave Mason, and more recently Tab Benoit and Samantha Fish have.

Remember this, though. Joe is a great rock and blues ambassador to a younger generation, who is keeping the music alive. For this, we owe him a debt.

stratoman1 and esseff like this.
  19. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

I see lots of people commenting that Joe is keeping the blues alive for a younger generation.
    Maybe so. But on the other hand he's probably turned off quite a few of the younger kids with what they see as soul-less "boomer" music.
    Just a thought

Bassman8 likes this.
  20. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Meister

not me......he sucks.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.