1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who will admit they are a fan of Joe Bonamassa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh !

And I know he writes a large portion of that gear off.

So, I respect his choice of accountants as well.

maxvintage likes this.
  2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like what I see in terms of craft, but I haven't heard anything compelling in terms of creativity. I'll try harder.

I generally don't listen to uncreative music ( in my opinion ) just to hear tasty guitar, no offense intended to anyone.

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

This.
    It's not my style of music, but I'm sure his career is mainly based on his live shows where you come to enjoy a very professional performance while having a drink.
    His passion as a gear collector and his dedication to the craft should not bring him anything but respect, but you'll always find more than many to go online trolling against him. That's the price of success I guess.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  4. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I can't say I dislike the guy, but when I hear his stuff, he reminds me of when they commission songs for fake bands to play in movies.

5. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I like listening to him play, have never seen a tour, have never bought material, not really a fan. But, damn, the guy can play....he just looks weird to me, having seen some live stuff on cable.

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I don't have any of his recordings (maybe I should) and can't say I have a good grasp on his abilities.

What I have heard of his playing is pretty standard blues/rock stuff... and that's ok.

But, I am glad he's out there playing the blues.

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

His solo stuff has never really grabbed me, but I do like Black Country Communion a lot.

aging_rocker likes this.
  8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

For me, Joe Bonamassa is an enigma.

Technically speaking, Joe is a very talented guitar player, but...

...the spotlight, literally, is always on Joe...

...the riffs have no nuance; they all sound the same, and while technically, near flawless, lack real feelings and emotions...

...the pace is almost always high tempo, which is very tiring to the listener...

...the guitar changes (really?)...

... the sunglasses...

...the ticket prices, yikes!

When you compare Joe Bonamassa's music to the music of folks like Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Derek Trucks, Robben Ford, David Gilmour, Warren Haynes... well, quite frankly, there is no comparison. :rolleyes:

9. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

He's a band leader that can play the blues, the ultimate Vegas Act, like him or not you can't argue that the bands he leads are not tight. While a lot of us on this forum would rather listen to people like Josh Smith, Kenny Vaughn, Gunthrie Trapp, or hundres of other lesser known guitar players, he is still very important. His platform is so large that he provides an awareness to guitar music that is an alternative to the Imagine Dragons, Katie Perry's, etc, crap that is out their today.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I like John Mayer, too. John has a much more nuanced approach than Joe.

Watching Joe Bonamassa play is very "tiring", on several levels.

lil scotty likes this.
  11. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Took my son to see Joe last November. It was a great show. First rate in all respects. Still don't own any Albums.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  12. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I like Joe Bonamassa. His voice isn't the strongest but he can sure play the guitar. He also has a love and respect for the guitar and those that have come before him. I think some of the vitriol directed towards him is because of how he promotes himself almost endlessly. I can't hate him for that, it's his livelihood and he works hard at it.

Still one of my favorite live performances of his.

5595bassman and rstaaf like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The only place I've ever heard of him is on guitar forums.

14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have seen him live he was great, Have some of his music on my devices thinking about getting some more had his Acoustic album it's really good (it went into cyber space somehow) I really like his 1 hour show on SiriusXM's BB King's Bluesville. Yes I'm a Fan

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You can tell when people love their Job and are living their dream. Now I want pick up my guitar and play

Ronzo, rstaaf, Jlwctn and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Joe Bonamassa is a fork in the road.

If you like songs that are excuses/vehicles for guitar solos? You go down the Joe Bonamassa rd.*

If not, you turn the other way and go down the road named “Songs/Music that just might contain guitar solos Blvd”

*Don’t mean to pick on Joe, there are a lot of very talented instrumental guitar players that will never write a memorable song in their entire life. Actually most of them.

17. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’d never heard of him until a friend told me how great he thought he is.
    Just before before I was introduced to Start Talk and TDPRI.
    I downloaded “Live From Royal Albert Hall” and, time I tried, couldn’t finish the album. My mind just wandered away from the music.
    However I recognize that he’s a good guitar player but it’s just not connecting with me. Of course, for 40 years LZ didn’t connect with me until 2 weeks ago (really) and now I can’t stop listening to them. So there’s still time.
    When I started visiting ST and TDPRI, at least I knew who he was and was perplexed by the snark directed towards him although, at times, I found it amusing. It still is perplexing but it is what it is.
    Seems like a nice guy on the You Tube videos. I prefer Uncle Larry.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I will admit that I have even paid money to see him in concert, and I follow him on Youtube :rolleyes:

He is prolific on Youtube, he has almost 600 videos on there, last one posted 3 days ago.

Sometimes his personality can be a bit quirky and off-putting, but then so is mine so who am I to judge :lol::lol::lol:

Someone else already said it, he is contributing a lot to keep Blues and Blues Rock alive...

I saw him in 2010 in a small theatre, it was a nice setting and a great concert.

026.JPG 037.JPG IMG_3238.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Lockback and Cali Dude like this.
  19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I think that he is a great talent. He however is cursed with playing a genre of music that isn't hip-hop or rap. I guess his blue/rock is about as popular as Kenny G after about the year 2000. I have nothing against either, but I haven't purchased anything that they have put out.

20. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sorry, but I've watched any number of his big PBS specials, going in thinking "hey, it's blues, this'll be cool." And about 40 minutes later, I'm tuning out because it was so forgettable.

Yes, the guy's got chops, and apparently all the cool gear left on earth... but he's one of those guitarists that only other guitarists care about, and that almost always leaves me cold. He's a sideman, who should've hooked up with a real frontman and some memorable songs.

Ehh, I'm not sorry at all. There are plenty of guitarists who do excite me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.