1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who will admit they are a fan of Joe Bonamassa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Sep 20, 2020.

1. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I only have a couple of his CD’s so I’m not a huge fan. I’ve seen him live a couple of times and he puts on a great show. I respect the hard work that he has put in to become the player that he is. He definitely has chops.

I personally like his “Black Country Communion” project the best. If there are any Glenn Hughes fans out there and aren’t aware of this project, I would highly recommend checking it out.

Lockback, aging_rocker and zippofan like this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Not I said the Little Red Rooster! I’m not a fan but I will admit to somewhat liking his cover of So Many Roads. Unfortunately, like so much of his playing, he starts out fine then goes ape$z!t crazy with rocking it out.
    No one can deny his talent, it’s just not my thing.
    I will add that approach is a problem for many young modern blues players. They play too many damn notes. Don’t substitute flash for soul. Even Clapton has been guilty of it as the years went by and why some blues purists mock him as “Eric Crapton”.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Is there some reason we're NOT supposed to like him? Outside of guitar forums that is, which are not really reflective of the real world?

I don't really listen to his music. I've seen a video on PBS and I've seen a few things on YT. He's doing what he likes to do, and he seems to be doing it very well. Whether or not anyone chooses to like him (or his music) is their own choice.

I don't dislike him or what he is doing. Does that even matter to anyone? It shouldn't.

RadioFM74 and SacDAve like this.
  4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Joe is a great guy and a good Human Being as well.
    Oh yes - Joe also plays Guitar in addition to the aforementioned and rather well at that.

Lockback, lil scotty and SacDAve like this.
  5. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I own an album or two. I can’t say that I listen to them often but I don’t mind him at all. I like his rig rundowns and follow on Instagram to see his toys. I think a lot of the hate comes from jealousy by the bedroom shredders that wish they could play like Clapton, Page, etc. Joe sacrificed having a life to pursue a dream. Most of us went out and played sports and partied before we did the whole marriage, kids, divorce loop thing and end up with a squire and a mustang amp trying to get our childhood back. I’m not faulting anybody, that’s just life. More power to him for living his how he sees fit.

Southpole, lil scotty and Doctorx33 like this.
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I would.

If I was.

Pax/
    Dean

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Some context;

I consider somebody a fan of a particular band or artist when they own their albums and have a long history of listening to them.
    When asked to list your favorite artists, they make the top ten.
    The bar is set for fandom the minute you choose to listen to their music whilst traveling in your car or truck.

Okay to the question of JB;
    I don't own any Joe Bonamassa albums or CD's or downloaded sound files.

The only exposure to JB that I can admit to is listening to him on the internet, mainly youTube videos.

That said, I like him a lot.
    He seems like a really nice guy, and he's passionate about owning, collecting, and playing guitars.
    And everything I have seen him perform has been very much to my liking.

So I guess puts me in the 'positive' and pro-JB category, if not exactly a fan.

Does that make sense?

:)

RadioFM74, Mad Kiwi, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

ha ha! that would be reason enough for me to not like him!

I know little about him; they play a version of "I'd rather go blind" with a woman singing, here on the radio. It's blues-rock alright. Good old blues-rock.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

OK, not on my radar screen, I've only seen one demonstration/workshop video couple years ago where he shows off a vintage Princeton, and how versatile it can be, just him, a guitar, a cord, and a amp. Very effective video - more on this shortly and why it matters.

Fast forward to now, and this thread. So I've noticed a lot of these threads, here, and on TGP. I'm not familiar with him or his music, so I just surveyed some material on youtube. He's got chops, good production ($$), and features vintage gear. Without all the attention, threads and controversy, I'd just say he's good performer, loves the craft and its gear, maybe a bit dated in his stylistic approach, and maybe a bit overdone with cramming too much from the past, into each cut. Like having 5 different vintage guitars in one video. And having too many textures, changes, layers in a single track?

Now the takeaway. Having seen his performance this am, I have to feel strongly he was highly restrained and humble in that demo video I saw a couple years ago. He could have showed off far more chops but didn't. He could have talked down, and a little more authoritatively, but he didn't. Given my two exposures, I'd have to say he's a humble guy, but highly motivated and driven by the sounds and artists that came before him, and he's trying to live up to, and perhaps advance what he loves about them and the legacy. He might be trying a little too hard, to make it all more than it can be, to today's listeners? It was great, and is great, but it will never be as great, even though he wants it to be, if that makes any sense?

And the bottom line, I think the criticism is misplaced. This guy's an advocate for everything gear and guitar people are about. I think the exuberance is incorrectly interpreted as arrogance.

Speaking of names and threads about folks I know not of, what about this John Mayer guy? ;)

10. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a fan per se, but I do think he's a tremendous player, and he seems a nice guy, and all the other big players seem to call him a friend. So I'll defend him if I can. And in fact, I heard a song which I thought was terrific, and then found out was Joe. So, i guess I do like at least some of his music.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

the man love guitars can play well and love tweed amps whats not to like about him

gmann and SacDAve like this.
  12. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If rocked up blues is your thing then he is a good purveyor of that style.... that’s it really, he is a one trick pony as are many other niche guitar players, it’s whatever floats yer boat ain’t it.
    I have actually seen him twice, both times tickets were a gift so not a decision ever made by myself, once at the Royal Albert Hall in London, it was o.k, never a concert to really blow me away as the most memorable thing ever........only The Cramps could do that !

graybeard65 and smartsoul72 like this.
  13. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I think he said something about pedals one time that set off some people on TGP. Then he said something about TGP that fueled the forum crowd some more. I would have to go back and research it some. Just petty stuff that got overblown.

14. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

And as always, Joe Bonamassa threads turn into "he's a great guy and he own a lot owns a lot of vintage gear." We've already had multiple mentions of both.

I mean ok, but this is part of the whole Joe Bonamassa thing: he seems like a nice guy in videos and he owns a lot of gear and he plays derivative classic rock/british blues rock well. In other words, he's what 90% of guys on guitar forums want to be. Somebody posting a picture of the six guitars in his basement "stable?" The Joe Bonamassa demographic.

There's nothing wrong with that, nothing at all, except musically it's just boring as hell. I find him unlistenable, because he overplays and he gets his blues third hand, from british guys copying black guys, and there's no sense of swing: as keith put it there's rock but no roll. Now somebody will claim I'm just jealous, or point out what a nice guy he is or that he sells out venues. I say good for him: he maybe IS a nice guy and he's making living doing what he loves: good for him.

Whoever is in charge of Joe's marketing plan is a genius. I think it's the same guy who came up with Greta Van Fleet

PS In real life I'm a great guy, humble and nice and I own some nice gear and can play pretty well. So what?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  15. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Nah.

Seems like a guy that I'd get along with, but he's just blues Cosplay.

I feel zero soul when listening to JB.

I'd put money down that JB doesn't know and hasn't lived "the blues".

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    RadioFM74 and maxvintage like this.
  16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Why wouldn’t you like him?
    Jealousy maybe?
    He’s a dude who can play, owns a ton of cool gear and makes his living doing what we all come here to talk about without bowing to corporate pressure.
    Having said that, I can’t name any of his tunes nor do I own any of his music.
    But I harbor no ill will.
    Music is art.
    Like I tell my kids,

Art is neither good nor bad,
    Either you like it or you don’t.

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a fan of all music...even the Grateful Dead.

Sometimes.

graybeard65 and djh22 like this.
  18. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

He’s a monster player and he does a lot for keeping Blues live and relevant. He does seem like a nice guy. All that doesn’t change the fact that I don’t listen to his work very much. I’m not fond of the timbre of his singing voice either. None of that is his fault, mind you- it’s all on me because I have my preferences and I’m entitled to them.

One thing I don’t understand is that some people have shown contempt for him at times on forums and such. You can’t deny that he has remarkable talent and ability and you don’t fill rooms the size he does and not be worthy of it. People pay good money to see him perform.

19. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

+1

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  20. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I like him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.