1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who will admit they are a fan of Joe Bonamassa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Sep 20, 2020.

1. JeffBro

JeffBro TDPRI Member

Is Bonamassa friends with people at guitar magazines and they let him do articles and feature him whenever they can?

seem like some guitarists always get super good press from these magazines and probably have some friends that are publishers and get very good promotion... I think a lot of these guys are great guitar players but don't have a catalog of good music. You can think Joe Walsh guitar playing is simple, but he has major hits.

reminds me of guitar teachers with their local band that has tremendous knowledge, but can't write original music.

2. JeffBro

JeffBro TDPRI Member

LOL what? Someone been drinking that Bad dog Cafe...

3. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

What do you mean?

4. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

This comparaison is impossible to make.
    If Windwood or all the other "stars" of his era were suddenly appearing with the stuff they are known for in the present era, they would be as marginal as Joe is now. The actual commercial music style is simply not in line with what have been done in the late '60s and the '70s.

During this period no way you would have, let say, a Glen Miller like piece of music become a hit unless it was a remake done in the taste of the day. Only the few people still attached to Glen Miller music would have appreciate.

Same for JB, he is not in line with today's music but simply a very good star among those still attached to Blues/Rock like the 72 yo me.

5. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No doubt he is an accomplished guitarist, but his playing seems a bit boring and has never captured my interest.

I'll admit... that I really don't pay much attention to, nor listen to him much at all.

Bassman8 likes this.
  6. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Well, with 30 studio and live album releases, countless sell-out gigs and 20 million bucks in the bank, ultimately it's what the paying public thinks of him that counts. I'd say he's done OK for himself.
    An excerpt from March 2015's Classic Rock: A Buyer's Guide to Joe Bonamassa:

While the hipster media fell for the spidery cool of Jack White and his lo-fi clatter, Bonamassa set out his stall: an ego-free blues scholar from upstate New York, whose idea of a supermodel was a ’59 Les Paul. Though technically impeccable, this scruffy, bulky, 12-bar merchant was a hard sell. “I honestly didn’t think anyone with the surname Bonamassa was ever gonna be famous,” producer Kevin Shirley recalls of his first impressions. “I remember sending him an email saying: ‘Joe, you look like a f***ing slob.’”
    It was the start of a beautiful relationship. When Shirley came aboard for 2006’s You & Me he drew a line in the sand, encouraging the guitarist to fire his band, shine his shoes and, critically, ditch the dead-eyed showboating to find his voice as a songwriter. “I thought if he wanted to be something different he’d have to bend the rules.”

Jlwctn likes this.
  7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have no problem admitting it. Been a fan since I first of him which was on his second album I think

8. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I've tried to get it. I really have, but the man bores me to tears. Generic blues rock blandness.

DHart, Ignatius and Bassman8 like this.
  9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Joe is Miracle Whip.

10. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I've been a fan of his since Bloodline. I saw him a couple years ago and it was a great concert. I do prefer is older stuff whe n he played a strat though and havent purchased any of his new music in years.
    Here is an example of him at his best IMHO.

11. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

There's not much to do with Blues that haven't been done before, there nothing new under the sun in that particular genre. And that is not wrong its a more traditional genre you cannot deviate much anyway, the only thing that can get you stand out is the more fundamental: the songs! and Bonamassa has none, I can't name a single song from him.

Black Country Communion and the thing he did with Beth Hart was great, maybe being in a band and having another songwriter and singer added some cool factor or legitimacy as a guitar player only.

But, he seems like a great guy but he is famous for his guitar collection not for his songs.

12. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

As I’ve admitted in other posts... Judy’s cute, but I have had a thang for Jane!
    AE603A7A-0A2A-454D-AFDF-90745A01F7A5.jpeg

“Judy’s mom has got it goin’ on!” :)

Jlwctn and John Backlund like this.
  13. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Ahhhhh....yes!....Jane Jetson...
    Screenshot_20200523-214933~2.png

P Thought and Ronzo like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh yes, she'll do!

Banannamesa? Nope!

15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The OP stated that Joe was on the same level as Stevie Winwood. Joe has never achieved the commercial success of Stevie Winwood. Winwood's peak years were the eighties with multiple million selling records and number 1 hits (number one on the US and UK charts not the niche blues chart.). He is an actual bonafide rock star Joe is not. As skilled a performer as Bonamassa may be, he has not to date written any songs that compare with the output of Winwood.

Joe's business model is copied from John Prine. In the 80's John couldn't make any money selling albums for a major or even minor label. However he realized he had a large enough fan base that would purchase records by mail from his own record company and make a decent living. That was the basis for Oh Boy records.
    Joe does the same thing he issues countless records sells them to a fan base of maybe 50 to 100 thousand worldwide and makes a substantial living. This is a real achievement and I credit it for him. He's a reliable performer who won't let you down if you spend the $100 or so for a ticket.

P Thought likes this.
  16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

It was the second BCC album that made me notice how good of a drummer Jason Bonham can be

tah1962 likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We like him fine at our house. We've seen him twice in concert, I have the t-shirts. He gets up and goes hard for a couple hours, covers and originals, no chatter. His band is great, too--I forget, 9-piece, 10?

He comes around again, we'll buy tickets

18. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

If you were a fan, why would you not admit it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.