1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who will admit they are a fan of Joe Bonamassa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Sep 20, 2020.

1. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Don't own any of his music. I do like one of his live shows that is only available on DVD, but can't remember the name of it. Would not pay what he is asking for ticket prices, but many do. I can say I do like some of his music though. For some reason, not his acoustic stuff though. Preferred his sound when he played Marshalls and used pedals.

2. stompk

stompk TDPRI Member

I'm a fan!

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I don't know why the TDPRI doesn't provide a Dislike Button for posts.
    [​IMG]

What justifies a person who uses Buckethead for an Avatar to make a derogatory comment about the Looks of a famous person they don't even know? A comment that uses a Word that requires Five Asterisks?

Lost_N_Austin

5595bassman and ricardo1912 like this.
  4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think he's very good at what he does, but it just so happens that heavily overdriven, slickly produced blues rock is pretty much my least favorite kind of music.

smartsoul72, Tony Forman and bumnote like this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

wow. ten pages of opinions on Joe Bonamassa. We care, we really care, Joe.

Probably inaccurate to assess him as a one-trick pony. I think of the fact that he has been a performing musician for over thirty years, on stages all over the globe. He's put some time into it and has worked a fluxton of time on his craft.

I was trying to sort it out in my head and one aspect is that he is simply the best tribute band, ever. Not that he completely parrots songs in the note for note category, but he can cop just about anybody's blues style. It's not just all overdriven, etc., blah, blah, blah.

Hey, here's a concrete example - a song he co-wrote, called "I don't live anywhere". If you listen to the original recorded version, on a record called "Blues Deluxe" - a tribute to Jeff Beck, there's a song called I Don't Live Anywhere. I quite liked the song when I first heard it, it has a little more than just the 1-4-5 of it all. Plus that augumented fifth at the turnaround, I'm a big sucker for that, even when it gets overused. Sue me.

What I finally heard though was the feeling of Paul Butterfield in that song, and maybe a little bit of Amos Garrett , Butterfield Resurrected and Amos ain't dead yet. I loved me some Paul Butterfield back in the day. See if you hear what I'm hearing, if you like:

a lot of the other cuts on this record were pure tribute stuff, IMO. I wish I could give tribute to my heroes with such facility.

But there's a live version of this song, too. and in that version, he gives straight up quotes from B. B. King; his mentor that he toured with as an opening act - at the early, early stage of his career.

I mean, nobody jumps on Bill Kirchen's case for the tribute playing he does - yeah, he makes people laugh, too, and there's a novelty aspect included, but:

It's entertainment, folks. Show biz. It's like some people feel that they might not be considered a serious guitar player if they just happened to be entertained.

Whatever. My opinion is just as worthless as yours. I keep waiting for the real Bonamassa to show up, and I like to think it's inevitable. Until then, he's the best blues tribute band in the business and life goes on.

6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The internet forum likability test is not a good indicator of
    As far as the Epiphones go he's sold 8000 at last check so at maybe $50.00 a guitar 400 grand.

Two things are important his guitar collection is vastly over valued on internet forums and his earning power is vastly under valued.
    He has consistent mid level fan base that keeps turning out for his multiple yearly tours. Along with his merchandise sales that adds up over time. He's not at the level of Eric Clapton or the Stones but he's way above a group like the Fabulous Thunderbirds.
    Who goes to see him I have no idea but then again I don't understand people who go see the Eagles either. I suspect it's a middle age crowd that wants to enjoy some professionally played blues rock in a safe upscale environment similar to the group that goes to see Wayne Newton in Vegas.
    Is he keeping the blues alive? I doubt it but he's sure keeping his bank account alive.

Jerry_Mountains and Fretting out like this.
  7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Interesting about the blues rock genre being the issue..

What about led Zeppelin? Clapton? I don't think it's the genre.

Being a great guitarist isn't enough. You need to write great songs. Memorable melodies. Shred fest equals yawn fest for the rest.

8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I like him, in interviews I've watched with him he seems like a regular guy who be a lot of fun to kick back and have a few beers with. He knows gear, which makes home a fascinating interview subject & he doesn't come across like an a$$hole like some other guitarists of his ability or fame sometimes do.
    That said...I HATE incessant jamming. When every song is 3/4 endless noodling & soloing I lose interest REAL quick. Honestly I think it's the biggest problem with blues music today...everything is a Allman Brothers odyssey of endurance for the casual listener. This style is hugely popular, & deservingly so, but it's not one that casts a wide net. I love the old 70's era Muddy Water live band style... tight shorter songs, everyone gets a little breathing room and when the song's over you want more. It beats feeling exhausted when the song's over because every conceivable note has been played. On one hand it helps keep blues going...on the other it's difficult for new listeners to get into, they might otherwise like blues music but hate jamming and think all blues is like that. There's just way too many blues musicians doing this IMO.

Joe's still a nice guy with a ton of great gear and knowledge about it.

Lockback likes this.
  9. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Hes very well respected in the industry, and he's huge over in Europe. Here is the US the mainstream is very challenging to break.....that said he does blues cruises and sellout shoes at venues like Red Rocks all the time. He gives to charity, tons of schools have new computers, instruments becuase of him.

His music is Mostly OK to me......but his new song, Conversation with Alice is KILLER. Really good tune. Don't get the hate. He's a guitar geek living the dream .

10. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

How old do you think Joe Bonamassa was when he quit paying interest?
    It could very well be that he never did pay interest.
    Do you think he pays "rent" anywhere?
    It appears that he has chosen to take his money and reinvest it in vintage gear that has continued to appreciate.
    Do you think that it could be possible that he owns everything, all of the equipment and the physical structure, necessary to put out a "CD"?
    Do you think he owns his own "masters", in whatever form they might be?
    His merchandising is on his webpage, and at his concerts. Do you think that he might own that?
    Is it possible or probable that he has some form of incorporation involved (Inc., LLC?)???
    How many different ways have been invented to extract a "piece" of the musician's product over the years?

He is a middle aged Italian guy that chooses to go onstage dressed in really nice, expensive clothes.

What would you have right now, if you had continually reinvested in yourself, and paid little to no interest???

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. FenderBenderNY

FenderBenderNY TDPRI Member

I’m not big on the blues, but he’s from the next town over, and his dad used to own a really cool guitar shop. When I was younger, like 15-16, I met him there a couple times and he was really nice to me. His collection is incredible and he seems like he’s still pretty cool, so I’d say I’m a fan of his despite my disinterest in the blues.

Lockback likes this.
  12. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

I can't argue with any of this. As much as I really like Joe, I do think he sometimes solos too much and his solos sometimes are just a note salad to me instead of a controlled, tasteful, melodic number of notes.

bumnote likes this.
  13. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I don't think anyone is questioning his acumen as a business person though I doubt he owns a cd pressing plant. If you want the business side here's a short article from the prestigious music magazine Forbes.

Jlwctn and Ronzo like this.
  14. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

So many people only know the " guy in a suit with shades "
    He plays constantly , with soo many people and in so many genres that it's hard to keep track.
    He plays in rather big places , to sold out crowds.
    One thing is for sure , he works for what he gets.
    Maybe some of us like his songs ? Or at least some of them.......LOL.
    I don't care about what the internet tells me to think
    I like him , and have nothing against John Mayer either.

I really dislike Keith Richards and Jimmy Page , LOL..Not many internet guitar warriors agree with me about that , but I like what I like.

15. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Thank you!

16. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

He's a good player, but he's not even in the top 20 of my favorite guitar players. Very generic, doesn't really bring anything new to the table. When I listen to blues I can think of 10 other players I'd prefer to listen to without even putting on my thinking cap.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a fan. I think his music is pretty good, some of it is great, but I love that he's preserving, so to speak, the vintage instruments that we know and love. I really love that he buys them and plays out with many of them. He gives guys like me a little access to those old iconic guitars and amps to which I would otherwise have zero access. And he seems like a pretty cool guy, even if a bit idiosyncratic or eccentric.

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Great references there!
    Listen to The James Harman Band for some seriously amazing blues

19. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think Joe has some serious backing/marketing people behind him in the management and recording business. I am in the UK a big fan of blues and blues rock all my life and had heard of Joe listened to him but wasn't really impressed. For me he belongs in my grouping of guitarists who speak a lot without really saying much if you get my drift. Later I saw that he was headlining at the Royal Albert Hall in London and I was amazed because he was pretty much unknown in the UK. I also watched a video of this on You Tube where Eric Clapton came out for a number with him at that gig and wondered if that was genuine or marketing to sell tickets and boost a slow seller?.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  20. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I think I'll be spending some time on Youtoob today...thanks for that! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.