Who will admit they are a fan of Joe Bonamassa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I have no problem with Joe and respect what he does

Recently I was watching a video that Gibson put out with him about his collection, in the video it said something like he’s had 20 number one albums in a row and his constant touring

So.... I put two and two together, somewhere out there someone has to be buying his records and attending these shows

According to the internet/forums he has very few fans

Any of you guys fans?

I’m not trying to troll just genuinely curious

I’m guessing it’s just not “cool” to admit it

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Number one on the blues charts, perhaps...a very small niche of the music market. Or in foreign countries, perhaps. No way he's had a single overall #1 overall album in the U.S., let alone 20, let alone 20 in a row.

Hell, they even let ME come to the Blues Awards one time! It couldn't be THAT selective!

3. Aldus Bunbury

Aldus Bunbury TDPRI Member

Well, he plays better than I ever will (not that it’s a competition), and he seems to have purchased every vintage tweed amp on the planet. I mean really. . . And he has the sheer audacity to seem like a genuinely decent guy in interviews. Then there’s that fantastic performance of Angel of Mercy, and. . . I mean other than that, what’s not to like about the guy?

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

To be fair it didn’t say what it was number one at or where

BuckSatan likes this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

...and there you have it. Deliberately deceptive–er, I mean "selective" wording.

6. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

He seems friendly and decent enough, if a little high-strung. But, to be honest, I don’t really remember what little I’ve heard of his music.

Is there anything other than the playing that’s special about it?

7. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

To be completely honest if it wasn't for people talking about him on guitar forums I would have no idea who he was.

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Dude can play ...

And he has some nice geetars...

9. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce Tele-Holic

I'm a big fan. He is keeping the blues rock idiom alive.

10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I'll admit it, why not. He comes across as a nice guy and I like his playing as much as I like anyone who plays blues rock.
    I like John Mayer too.

Greggorios, Driver3, EdgarHF and 11 others like this.
  11. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

To be fair, there have been a number of folks/groups that I have learned about here. Some of them pretty good.

I bought a Joe Bonamassa album on a lark years ago, before I ever heard anyone else talking about him. I thought he was good, and bought some more. It was later I found out more about him and his collections.

The main Wikipedia article about him is here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bonamassa

And his discography article is here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bonamassa_discography

I never cared about where he was on the charts; I liked listening to him. But he has had some success. I’d go see him, given the chance. Well, except if he was booked in the Hockey Arena here (they were able to make Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood sound bad).

Speaking of Winwood, Bonamassa seems to have about the level of success as Winwood. Roughly. One could quibble and pick a favorite, but two artists that I enjoy that never had multiple #1 hits.

Ronzo likes this.
  12. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Bananassa is important for guitar and blues. Saw him in concert, it was pretty good in many respects

Don't think I would buy any of his recordings becsuse he is not pushing any musical boundries.

But hats off. He seems to be a nice guy and he has earned his succes.

Same goes for Mayer and Emmanuel.

Q:Who would be the David Bowie of today who could give him a boost by inviting him as a guest player - like SRV?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Buell, Ronzo, Jim622 and 2 others like this.
  13. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

There seems to be a sort of cutoff date on internet forums concerning successful and especially popular guitarists it's acceptable for 'real' musicians to respect. I'm not sure, but it might be the date of SRV's helicopter crash. Famous and popular guitarists before then are god-like.....anyone afterwards is just an undeserving copycat.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

A "fan" may be a bit much – I don't listen to his stuff all that often. But he's a great guitar player – one of the best around in his idiom – I like what I see of his personality in interviews and little videos, and I like his passion for the cause. I am irked by his aggressive merchandising, but now that I have managed to unsubscribe from all his mailing lists I am delivered.

Not ashamed at all to say I like him. I think that "Different Shades of Blue" has a many great songs and solos in it, as also to an extent "Redemption".

And like @esseff has done before me, I won't hesitate to come out of the closet and say that I like John Mayer EVEN MORE. So there!

15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I am pretty indifferent to solo-heavy electric blues / rock as a genre and nothing I have ever heard from Bonamassa has ever moved me in the slightest. In that regard he is no different from all the other artists I don't choose to listen to, from Katy Perry to Bruno Mars to The Monkees to 6ix9.

I think it's weird how guys get so fixated on just a few artists in this exaggerated love / hate relationship though. Are there so few artists with a guitar-centric sound that we're forced to constantly debate them? Is it jealousy / envy / disgust about his gear hoarding specifically? I can't figure it out.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Who?

Bassman8, brookdalebill and EsquireOK like this.
  17. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

18. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I have to think Joe Bonamassa employs lots of social media trolls, because there are always threads about him and they always require a kind of simplistic tribalism. Over on the gear page criticizing Bonamassa gets you stern warning or a "vacation." So as a result there are a lot of "joe is great" threads or threads describing his impressive collection of vintage gear. It's pretty clear there's a promotional relationship.

Personally, I've never been able to get through more than about 30 seconds of any of his videos: it's just not to my taste. I'm impressed with the way he's managed to turn nostalgia and gear-love into a lucrative career: it seems to me he's very similar to the guys who make a living demo-ing gear on YouTube channels. It's less about his music, which is to my ears entirely uninteresting, than it is about being a guy making a living playing british blues and owning lots of vintage gear. It's a lifestyle thing, not a music thing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  19. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Love his playing. Can’t listen to the albums.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

images (1) (55).jpeg
    He's actually growing on me, but I always laughed at this

Dan R, Mike M, charlieBravo and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.