Who wants to fight about the Eagles?

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
I find that interesting, because I lived from the late fifties onward, and never saw an Americana/Rockabilly scene. Fashions were different, but the rolled up blue jeans thing is something I never remember seeing, with the exception of parents that might have bought slightly over-length jeans for growing children. People tended to dress neatly, like Ron Howard in Happy Days.

Middle class families usually drove four door Chevies, Fords or Plymouths. I grew up in a very prosperous town, but convertibles were fairly rare, and bright colors the exception.
Yes, but that, and my example, were from before the internet.
The perception of what '50s America was like from the UK was gained from movies and television.
I dare say the rest of the World thought Brits were all like Terry Thomas, back then

mike stanger

TDPRI Member
Lot of pretty stupid comments here. I’ve seen original Eagles and the version with Frey, Henley, Schmidt, Walsh, and Stewart. They are rarely less than exemplary in their execution on stage. You may not care for their music but they do it well.
I liked the original lineup too. After Bernie Leadon left, I thought I wouldn't enjoy them as much, but Joe Walsh actually was a better replacement, as their music was changing by then. Same with Timothy Schmidt.

The Eagles to me were good and combining a bunch of different directions rock was going back then and coming up with a lot of genre-jumping songs that had wide appeal. Rock, pop, bluegrass, country, folk; while their formula didn't work all the time, when it did, they made some good music.
regards,
stanger

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
download.jpeg

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
This thread is, I suppose, about fighting........

But I don't go to see a band play precisely the same thing, in the same way, multiples of times. Precision run amok, if you ask me.

At least if there's an audience fight, there's something to talk about. If every single Eagles concert is a perfect copy of the one before and after it, what is left to talk about? All the fun has been drained out of it. I think that's why Schmit looks so joyless. When he was with Poco, he seemed to be really excited on stage. Furay was difficult but he infected the other guys on stage with joy, I felt.

One more thing: Joe and Timmy are just workers. This is not "their" music. I think they deserve none of the blame, at all.
Well I saw the original Poco with Jim Messina and with Paul Cotton. Always a great lively show. I liked them more than the Eagles but I like both bands a lot. The original Eagles were different than the more recent versions who have a more vast catalogue and seem to be wanting to produce a perfect sound for an audience willing to pay hundreds of dollars per ticket. Different approach. If Poco had audiences willing to pay that much they might also be shooting for consistent perfection or something approaching it. Both bands put out some exceptional music for which we should all be grateful.