Who wants a good laugh at my expense?

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Maybe not my most embarrassing moment, but definitely in the running,

My next door neighbor, and good friend.. Is a 20+ year Law Enforcement Detective.

Most day's he drives a plain unmarked County car.... But there has been several times over the years, that he'll pull up in a marked cruiser... he typically works with 1 of 2 different partners when he's in a marked patrol vehicle.. I know them both well.

All of us collectively, are basically immature idiots around each other... So whenever I see them pull up in a marked cruiser... I mess with them in one way or another.

Well... today a newer SUV marked cruiser pulls up with really dark windows, and no one exits immediately, So i jump straight to my typical shenanigans...
I start by opening my front window... and flipping them off several different ways... Generally, that will get their window down, and some choice words yelled back at me..... hmmm.. Nothing.

I figure they must be on a speaker call, and can't respond quickly... So I drop my drawers, and stick my arse up against the window.... Still nothing... hmm, weird.

Then I start getting nervous.... Crap, what if he's working with a new female detective or something... Eh, probably not, he would called or text and told me to back down.

I try calling him... goes straight to voicemail... Ruh-Roh

So I stop my BS... and sit at my window nervously for the next 5 minutes or so... I can't take it anymore.. I walk outside to the cruiser... Tap on the window, it rolls down, and reveals 2 dudes I've never seen in my life... Aww CRAP.....

First thing out of my mouth... Ummm.. Did you guys see me that whole time? "Yep"

I was freaking mortified, it was his Lieutenant and another officer, waiting outside his house, while he printed some documents they needed him to sign.

Luckily both of them had a sense of humor. :lol:

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Your buddy set you up. :twisted:

Been there. The unmarked car is parked out front now.

Searching through my costumes.
Or maybe I just streak across the street naked carrying a sword.
Or something.

Wait, here's a realistic deer head.
I could run across the street wearing nothing but a deer head and carrying my 30-06.

Yeah, that will work.

Wait...
Papers being served?

Imminent domain?

My bad...

Last edited:

DugT

Tele-Afflicted
Great story!

It reminds of a reverse situation that happened to my boss. He looks very much like a retired chief of police in a nearby big city. Two cops pulled up behind him, pulled out their guns and yelled for my boss to get out of his car. They just wanted to prank the retired chief but when my boss got out of his car shaking and not looking enough like the retired chief, the cops freaked out were as apologetic as humans can be. The cops explained everything and my boss let it slide but I bet those cops were on pins and needles for the following year in fear of a law suite. My boss was new to the area and wasn't aware of the retired chief and that they looked very similar.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've got one mildly similar.

In the mid 1990s I bought a 1977 Chevy Caprice from a State Auction. It was originally owned by some arm of law enforcement, and was used as an unmarked car. Puke beige, and they removed the spotlight, hidden lights and CB radio after I bought it, but it still had a cop motor, a 350 cubic inch plant, cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. All that.

So what did silly and irreverent 21-year old me do? I went down to the local hardware store and got a couple of mailbox reflectors like these:

1661649060774.png

I zip-tied a blue one and a red one to the radiator behind the grille. Then I got some vinyl alphabet stickers and put a random official-looking number on the front and rear. Bought some antennae from a wrecking yard and made the car look like it was lit up with Motorolla. On my days off, I would dress up like an FBI spook replete with second-hand store suit, slacks, dress shoes, trench coat and hat. I would just cruise around, driving normally, and be entertained at everyone getting nervous. At night headlights would light up the reflectors just like they did the hidden lights in undercover cop cars. During the day. I'd sometimes cruise through the park and watch all the ne'er-do-well types scatter when they sighted me.

It was great fun for about a year, until a Sheriff from the State Police and three deputies all cornered me on a rural road outside of town for a shakedown. While I didn't ever claim to be a police officer, FBI agent or detective of any sort, they pointed out that I was dangerously close to "Officer Impersonation" and gave me 10 minutes to peel the stickers and reflectors of my car.

Looking back, they probably were just messing with me in a "scared straight" fashion for their own entertainment. They'd probably heard some story of "some punk kid in an old cruiser that is probably up to no good" but realized I hadn't done anything serious.

I wish I could talk to those guys now and see if they remembered that.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted

My next door neighbor, and good friend.. Is a 20+ year Law Enforcement Detective.

Most day's he drives a plain unmarked County car.... But there has been several times over the years, that he'll pull up in a marked cruiser... he typically works with 1 of 2 different partners when he's in a marked patrol vehicle.. I know them both well.

All of us collectively, are basically immature idiots around each other... So whenever I see them pull up in a marked cruiser... I mess with them in one way or another.

Well... today a newer SUV marked cruiser pulls up with really dark windows, and no one exits immediately, So i jump straight to my typical shenanigans...
I start by opening my front window... and flipping them off several different ways... Generally, that will get their window down, and some choice words yelled back at me..... hmmm.. Nothing.

I figure they must be on a speaker call, and can't respond quickly... So I drop my drawers, and stick my arse up against the window.... Still nothing... hmm, weird.

Then I start getting nervous.... Crap, what if he's working with a new female detective or something... Eh, probably not, he would called or text and told me to back down.

So I stop my BS... and sit at my window nervously for the next 5 minutes or so... I can't take it anymore.. I walk outside to the cruiser... Tap on the window, it rolls down, and reveals 2 dudes I've never seen in my life... Aww CRAP.....

First thing out of my mouth... Ummm.. Did you guys see me that whole time? "Yep"

I was freaking mortified, it was his Lieutenant and another officer, waiting outside his house, while he printed some documents they needed him to sign.

That’s awesome

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
Great story!

It reminds of a reverse situation that happened to my boss. He looks very much like a retired chief of police in a nearby big city. Two cops pulled up behind him, pulled out their guns and yelled for my boss to get out of his car.
What the actual F...

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity

Lucky you have an arresting personality.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, for about a year I was driving a remarkably suspicious looking Suburban with an FBI logo hat on the dash...

I would pull up to a location I would only describe as "the metro stop that wasn't" next to one of those big mail drop boxes....
You never saw a dozen people vaporize into thin air so fast as I dropped off an outgoing parcel...

No, seriously. Where did those people just go...

jays0n

Friend of Leo's

That is brilliant!! Glad it did not get ugly though. Thanks for sharing.