Who Still Plays, Collects or Buys Vinyl ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-martini, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Holic

10-4 on the Zerostat. Mine will still put a heart-stopping jolt through you if you . . . . well, never mind. ;)

2. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

Yeah, don't check that it works by zapping your tongue. Or so I've been told!! :lol:

3. chet

chet Banned

I used to use the Discwasher brush. Do they still have the little red bottle of fluid that you were supposed to use with it?

4. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Holic

5. div

div Tele-Meister

Based on suggestions I got here & from other people I recently got a rega P1 turntable to replace my old Akai that broke. Its awesome- much better sounding than the old one by a long shot (its not even close). They're not too expensive at $350. Only thing is there's no features- if you want to change to 45 rpm you have to move the belt yourself & there's no automatic return when you get to the end of the record so you have to remember to take the needle off manually.

I got it from the needle doctor who I recommend. I had a problem w/ the 1st one they sent me & they said send it back, no quarrel, e-mailed me a paid shipping label & sent me a new one immediately.

6. superchicken_VI

Needle Doctor is first-rate. They're a great outfit.

You're right, there are no features on these tables, which is one of the reasons they sound so good--none of the crap to get in the way of them working well. Regas are great, you'll have that thing forever.

7. amp boy

amp boy Tele-Meister

i came home tonight with that Hendrix box set...so much for 2 weeks wait...it took 4 days....awesome.
    I also ended up spotting these...so i grabbed'em
    [​IMG]
    and....
    [​IMG]
    now i'm just waiting for Unknown Pleasures, they didn't have that in stock.
    it's a small shop, but nice people, and that's cool.
    I can't wait for.....
    [​IMG]
    Comes out mid to late March... 180gm 4 lp set.
    Wish i could have the Classic Records LP's, but they are going for insane prices everywhere.....so i'm giving up on that.
    it's a damn shame.

I would think there would be a nice Ziggy Stardust LP collection, anyone know ??

8. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

But my solid state amp emulates tubes!

9. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Can they or the playback equipment eliminate the surface noise without damaging the music?

10. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Well, one of the myths people embrace about hearing is that "hearing is analog." While hearing isn't digital, it's not exactly analog as we think of it either. Neurons either fire or they don't, so in that sense they are kind of digital...but not.

At any rate, I maintain that your graphic equalizer can improve or degrade your music (whatever the source, digital or analog) more than whether the source is digital or analog. Do you disagree with that?

11. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Holic

The laser stylus, from what I've read, is every bit as sensitive to particles on the vinyl surface as any needle, maybe more so. But wear is said to be eliminated.

12. chet

chet Banned

Aw...go play with your cd's or I-pod and leave us alone. :D

13. superchicken_VI

I don't use a graphic eq for that reason. As a matter of fact, my preamp doesn't even have tone controls.

(Now for the can of worms...)

Instead, I use cables as tone controls. :twisted:

14. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    The Laser turntable has been an unsuccessful product for lots of reasons and noise is the number one reason. High cost was number two. Lousy sound was number three.

The Smithsonian Musium has come up with a very novel approach though. They've taken old records too fragile to play and scanned them in a commercial photo scanner at super high resolution and then created a software program that can play back the scans. This way they can transcribe historical LPs that they couldn't risk playing in the past.

15. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Tubes and solid state -- that's an argument that seems is already settled around here. But my integrated amp has a tube front end with a solid state power amp. And, no, it doesn't have tone controls, balance controls or anything but a super high quality volume control and a manual input control.

And my speakers are planars!

But cables... I don't drink that koolaide.

16. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I'm going LP shopping in Austin on Saturday. I haven't been in a while. I buy about 70% old vinyl and 30% new vinyl. I guess the last new vinyl LP I bought was Snowpatrol's newest.

I've lucked into some great condition hard to find LPs at Garage Sales over the years. Usually for $.25 each.

I'm not anti-digital at all. I do wish they hadn't set the bar so low when CDs were developed. 16 bit/44.1 sample rate is just the lowest possible acceptable specs. DSD or even 24/198 PCM is clearly better and should have been the standard from the beginning.

Now, with crippled bit-rate MP3s trumping everything that train has left the station and "better sound" is not the criteria at this point.

I hear there is a new downloadable music format being developed that fixes this but is a full 4 years away at this point.

I don't buy any MP3s. None. Zero. I buy the CD and rip it to my Mac in full-resolution. If only I could buy the full-rez lossless files online and download them I would be a very happy camper.

Or, if they'd put out an LP of new material with a full-rez lossless file download included in the package. That would be the perfect scenario for me.

17. cminor7b5

cminor7b5 Tele-Meister

18. cminor7b5

cminor7b5 Tele-Meister

A lot of my impressions of audio reproduction could be biased.

There is a ritual to playing vinyl that I enjoy (most of the time). The fact that it takes a little longer seems to slow my metabolism down a bit so I think I'm a little more receptive to listening. The break at the end of a side allows me time to refresh my drink, let the dog in, etc... This sets me up for the next side/
    Don't get me wrong, the convenience of digital can't be beat. But I don't consider it "listening" to music when I'm beating yellow lights or giving the finger to fellow drivers. I also don't consider it listening when I'm jogging or trying to show fellow commuters on public transit that I don't want them to say hello to me.

Digital is great for learning songs. With modern software you can play sections over and over, etc.

But for late night, 3 hour listening sessions, I feel vinyl can't be beat. I have many vinyl and cd duplicates and the vinyl kills the cds every time. There's a certain "something" in digital that quickly makes me want to do something else.

I have a similar experience with the new compact flurescent light bulbs. I certainly can't read under these things. With traditional tungsten or incandescent bulbs I can sleep till I fall asleep. YMMV of course.

Back to the original post. I think you might want to look for a Thorens on ebay. They still go for reasonable prices and with minor tweeks, like lining the underside with automotive tar-based sound insulation, you can tighten up the sound tremedously.

This is another aspect of vinyl that I like. Your ability to retrieve the info is only limited by your player. It always seems that there's yet more info in those grooves.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/chassis_damping.htm

http://www.theanalogdept.com

19. superchicken_VI

I'm all solid state on my hifi, but with plenty of slam. I run an Aragon 4004mkii which is 440wpc into my 4ohm loudspeakers, which are either my Thiel CS1.2s or my Magnepan MMGs (depending on music type and mood). Planars do amazing things with piano and strings that dynamics simply can't do with such a small radiating surface. Dynamics are better with organ and voice, as well as electric-based music like rock and roll.

Cables ain't Koolaid. They are something you need to try with your system in your room with material you know very well, and it works best with someone to blind demo them for you. I used to be able to correctly ID cables in A/B/X testing all the time. I was doing a blind test for a listener one time who swore I either changed amplifiers or speakers, when all I did was change interconnects from the CD player to the preamp. I do not like silver cables on analog gear, or copper for digital connections. I would be amazed if they don't make a difference for you. I'm not talking about getting really high-end, but any of the mid-level cables are noticeably better than cheapies. I wouldn't spend $1k on speaker cables, but mine were $550 new--and worth every penny.

I don't believe in power cords making any difference, and I can't tell any difference in hospital-grade outlets, either. I think those things are a waste of time and money. I also don't think that connector type makes any difference for speaker cables (bananas vs. spades--heck, I can only use bananas with the Maggies), nor do I think locking RCAs do anything except damage gear. I once had a Monster turbine-cut RCA rip a jack out of a $10k Krell preamp!! I've heard horror stories about locking RCAs and other gear.

20. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Wow, small world. My planars are MMGs as well. I tried quite a few different speakers and thought I liked my Totem Hawks better than anything until I heard the Magnaplanars. I bought some MMGs thinking I could always send them back but instead they send me.

My amp isn't very powerful, but I do like it. I know Maggies want more power but most of my listening these days -- all of it -- is at low volumes. My integrated is the Unison Research Unico from Italy. Rounding out my system is a Cary 308T CD player that hasn't even been turned on since moving to the Mac for music and my phono stage is an Ear 834p. My VPI Turntable has a modified Rega RB300 tonearm (rewired and drop weight) and I mostly use a Denon DL103D Low Output MC cartridge.

I have Nordost Blue Horizon Interconnects for everything but use 12 ga Electrical extension wire for speaker wires. I bought a 12 ga Extension Cord at Home Depot and cut it in half and put banana plugs on all the ends. Stereophile tested this combo along with half a dozen $1,000 speaker wires and the Home Depot's were ranked second. Even made their "B" rated equipment ratings for 2003 and 2004.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.