Who still loves their Digitech Trio Plus?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Chunkocaster, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm late to the game but I've been looking at getting a Digitech Trio Plus and would like to know if people are still using and enjoying theirs? Is there anything better or as good for the same or lower price available now? Is there a clone or something else I should be considering before plonking down a bunch of cash on the trio plus?

They seem to have been around for a while now, since 2016? Strange that they haven't yet updated them or something else hasn't come along to replace it or maybe it has and i'm just not aware of it.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Once I got the T+, I never looked back. It took me years of drum machines and loopers seeking out a simple machine for songwriting. It is as fun as it gets, but you can't think about it as a pedal. The features are a bit complex and will take time to learn how to use the advanced features. If you have not used loopers, I would advise a used Boss RC-2 to get your feet wet first. I record a T+ song directly into my Jamman looper for additional development, but that is just my method.

Don't expect to go beyond song writing fun though. Once I get something useful, I rebuild the song with EZDrummer for actual recording onto a computer.

@Platefire is our resident T+ expert. Put him in your rolodex if you get one.;)

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Still got the T+, still use it and if Digitech made a 'stage' version, similar to their large looper, I'd buy in a heartbeat.
    Great pedal, and I don't understand why it wasn't taken much further.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I don't have the Plus but the original pedal. However, I was using mine this morning for practice and it's phenomenal for that. Just do a quick training on a groove or chord sequence and go! And if you're a songwriter, you can easily get an idea or two going just by playing around with the drum/bass styles. I may upgrade to the Plus someday (having the built-in looper is an advantage), but the original pedal (which can be found for a good price used) is just fine for my needs.

By the way, it's worth setting up the Trio with the drum/bass output going to a separate clean amp and the guitar going to your normal effects pedals and guitar amp. For the clean amp, I use a Kustom 2 x 10" powered floor monitor/wedge, and with this unit the bass/drums from the Trio sound huge! I could almost see doing some live solo performance stuff like this...

GuitLoop, Toast, bsman and 2 others like this.
  5. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

I've had one for a few years now and I love the thing. It's a great practice tool and it beats a boring metronome. I record/program songs into it that I need to play over in a band setting and it gives me practice with the changes and improves my ear. I don't think I'd ever perform with it.

GuitLoop and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Trio (non-plus) love it. Sleep with it at night.

Kebmel, rich815 and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

It's possible that Digitech is no more. Depends on which site you believe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/8idu0y/tom_kramn_and_the_entire_digitechdod_team_are/

8. Chunkocaster

I got a beatbuddy when they came out, it sounded great but I didn't use it beyond the initial run. I've got a ditto looper, the first one that i use occasionally at home. I just sold the beatbuddy and had a look for what else had come out and noticed the trio plus. It does look like a great practice tool and id like to use it to work on some songs ive had in the works for a while but got bored with. Thanks for the tips, ive also got ezdrummer so would probably stick with that for recording and just use the trio for practice, development etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Yeah when I first spotted the trio plus just the other day I wondered if they had taken it further since release seeing as it was 3 years ago. Pity they haven't but the price is still quite high for the trio plus. I thought mooer or someone like that might have released something similar by now.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. Chunkocaster

Thanks for the tip, ive got a marshall acoustic amp that would work well for running the pedal clean.

rich815 likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I was a disappointed that it can't actually hold all the parts of many songs I write i.e. intro, verse, prechorus, chorus, bridge, fade out. It can't do all these parts. Plus half of any of these sections for maybe a quick ending. Now a simple structure i.e. intro, song verse, chorus, bridge, no problem. The problem is it's not designed for say pop music or modern country. Rock, Motown, Blues or a basic country song no problem. Jamming tool, excellent, or working out basic parts of a basic song. Mine unfortunately sits gathering dust. I went back to Superior Drummer 3 and doing things in the computer.

I was hoping they would improve on the rev 2 version but they have not. All it needed was some more section storage.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Likely. Too bad. I still regularly use my older Digitech products. I still have an RP 20, a 2120, a Jam man 2 & a Johnson Millennium 150 which used the 2112 as the main effects. I still prefer these units to anything else I've tried. though admittedly, I stopped trying other effects a long time ago.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

I'm not sure how much they were when they first released but they are still very expensive here due to currency conversion etc. Retail for around $520 dollars. Way too much for me atm but I have been looking for used examples on ebay. I'm still tempted if I can knock a couple hundred off that retail price and flip it in a few months for minimal loss if I don't get on with it.

15. Chunkocaster

I just sold the only digitech product I still had, a Hendrix experience pedal in box. Got a low price on it due to lack of interested buyers. Maybe I should have hung on to it.

16. Obsessed

That is how I use it and I think you will get a lot of good ideas out of it. Having experience with the Ditto already gives you enough looper experience to use the basic functions of the T+. Be sure not to get the original Trio. It just was not complete enough IMO. There is also an additional three switch pedal that gives you more control of the features using just your feet, so it can expand as you advance. Pretty darn impressive tool, just be prepared to ramp up a learning curve when you start adding fills and building complete songs. The perfect tool for bringing song ideas to the next level on your own.

SecretSquirrel and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. Chunkocaster

It does sound like fun, I already have one of those extra pedals I got with a jamman looper years ago and never used. I kept if for a Hendrix pedal but I just sold that too. Looks like it will come in handy after all.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Yup, that is primarily why I plug my T+ into my Jamman looper. Then you can add many more layers to what the T+ developed.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

i use mine to record backing tracks on a zoom r8. works well. I can take my time to get the rythm I want, before comitting it to ones & zeros on the recorder.

I don't have the mad programming skills to ever consider using it live. I upgraded the firmware, when that came out.

I got mine used on the bay with foot pedal and power supply for around one ben franklin with shipping. it was like new in the box. I already have a few looping devices, so I wasn't really keen on gettin another looper...

could probably do the same thing with band in a box or sleazy drummer or someother software, I just want to avoid the computer and all its distractions. The blinky lights on my gear are enought distraction for me....

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Lol. That reminds me. I also have a DOD Boneshaker that my Bass Player bought me for $40-ish when they were being blown out. I dunno how much these kind of products are going to be sought after in the future. I doubt the Boneshaker will be.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.