Who remembers the plethora of Live Double Albums that came out in the mid-'70's?

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Many live albums are not as "live" as we might think. Once they started recording using multitrack there were all kinds of fixes, overdubs etc. To a varying degree of course.
I love SRV…and I actually like most of the “Live Alive” recordings…but I have heard rumors that it’s not as “live” as the moniker would indicate.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I love SRV…and I actually like most of the “Live Alive” recordings…but I have heard rumors that it’s not as “live” as the moniker would indicate.
I've mentioned this before.....and NOT a live album or from the seventies.....but the acclaimed Fleetwood Mac video performance The Dance, is said to be substantially different from the actual performance. A few critical listeners who were actually there have said there was so much post-production "sweetening" that they didn't even recognize the video. I wasn't there, and I like The Dance video, but I can't honestly pass judgement.

elihu

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m a bit too young to remember those albums first-hand, but…

The Rolling Stones Love You Live—specifically the “third side” changed my life in 1984 (no exaggeration)

The El Mocambo side! The performance of Crackin' Up with the interplay between Keith and Ronnie still gives me chills.

TeleBluesMan

Tele-Holic
Not double and missed mid-70s by a few years, but great none-the-less:

upload_2021-11-9_17-20-22.jpeg

upload_2021-11-9_17-20-44.jpeg

oregomike

Tele-Holic
It was nuts. Everybody was doing it. Here's some I remember though I probably missed a number of them...

• Kiss - Alive
  • Kinks - One for the Road
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From the Road
  • Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet or on Your Knees
  • Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same
  • Rolling Stones -Love You Live
  • Rush - All the World's a Stage
  • Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
  • UFO - Strangers In the Night
  • Aerosmith - Live Bootleg
  • Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
  • The Band - The Last Waltz
  • Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
  • Wings - Wings Over America (triple)
  • Bob Seger - Live Bullet

Kiss Alive II: my Mom bought me that for my 7th birthday (no joke), and was my first album. I started playing drums at 8 because of Peter Criss.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I seem to remember a Johnny Winter double album that was really 3/4 of a double album. One side of one LP was blank. I think he said if he fit the songs on on a single LP, the audio quality would have suffered . . . I didn't dream this, did I?

Monty Python had a single album which had three sides - two sets of adjacent grooves on one side, which one you got depended upon where the needle landed.

Of course they did, why wouldn’t they?

Waiting for Columbus by little feat. What an album…

Little Feat and the producer both hated that record - Massenburg was sure they were going to get dropped after they turned it in to the label.

Yes, that's commonly done but I meant that the audience was recorded louder than usual. When that album came out there was a lot of comments about it

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/frampton-comes-alive-51-376104#sthash.5dtMvqLA.dpuf

The engineer is talking about a 5.1 remix of the original recording:

“The original album was a little over the top with the audience,” says Ainlay. “If you listen to the [original album], there is so much coloration from the audience mics being so cranked up that to make the remix sound good, we backed off a little bit.

On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because “Show Me the Way” had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material.

I remember a Rolling Stone article where they were interviewing Frampton in the studio, mixing Comes Alive, and they were dubbing in applause at key moments.

Frampton was far from a household name at that point - his date in Rochester was cancelled due to low sales. That was the tour that Comes Alive was recorded on.

I also remember being in a bar after work in about 1997 or so, and someone came in offering everyone free tickets to see him that night, in a venue less than 5 minutes from the bar. No one took any.

Wheel of life. <G>

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
I remember a Rolling Stone article where they were interviewing Frampton in the studio, mixing Comes Alive, and they were dubbing in applause at key moments.

Frampton was far from a household name at that point - his date in Rochester was cancelled due to low sales. That was the tour that Comes Alive was recorded on.<G>

Making the list I kept thinking 'what triggered the wave of double live albums coming out'? Was it the success of 'Frampton Comes Alive'? I'm probably wrong but that is the one that stands out to me. Live albums had always been around, but more often single and just here and there. The flood we saw in the second half of the 70's was a great time to be in high school!

EDIT: Kiss Alive came out in 1975, while Frampton was '76, so maybe it was 'Alive' that kicked it off.

Most of the other ones I looked up were 1976(a lot) and then some through 1980.

Kiss Alive it is.

Last edited:

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Making the list I kept thinking 'what triggered the wave of double live albums coming out'? Was it the success of 'Frampton Comes Alive'? I'm probably wrong but that is the one that stands out to me. Live albums had always been around, but more often single and just here and there. The flood we saw in the second half of the 70's was a great time to be in high school!

I think it was.

It was also a good way for an act that was unhappy with their label to fulfill their "multi-record contract" - counted as two, and it was cheap to produce.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
This one meets the criteria

I believe this is the first time I ever asked my dad to borrow an album so I could make a cassette copy.
Willie_and_Family_Live.jpg

I believe this album was also a double. I really can't say with any certainty because I had the 8 track
MelanieCarnegie.jpg

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
This one meets the criteria

I believe this is the first time I ever asked my dad to borrow an album so I could make a cassette copy.
View attachment 917895

Haha, nice! I'll bet Dad was pleased. Ah, those days of making cassettes of albums and kick-ass personal compilations!

After my Dad retired he went nuts in the later 90's with buying old music on CD's, converting to mp3's, and sharing them with everyone, burning tons of cd's. Stuff he loved. From the 'Weavers' to 'Homer and Jethro' and even 'Dr. Hook'.

He made for all of us a burn of Tom Paxton's 'Ain't That News' album we all listened to growing up.

Also, note my Avatar.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
I liked Peter Frampton and Frampton Comes Alive when I was younger, now I don't like him like I used to.
He is a good guitarist though.

I recently bought Kansas 2 For The Show live concert album at a thrift shop lately on July 17, the same day that Robby Steinhardt died, so that was really unfortunate. That was one person I really wanted to write to. Great album, experimental violin from the late Robby Steinhardt, and skilled vocals and keyboards from Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren. I especially love the live version of Magnum Opus from that album.
Steve Walsh is a really kind man, he actually lives in DeKalb County, GA, which is also where I live.

Kansas_-_Two_for_the_Show.jpg