Who remembers the plethora of Live Double Albums that came out in the mid-'70's?

gabasa

Tele-Holic
In 1977, I was in grade 1 and my mom bought me Kiss Alive II after a doctor's visit.
That may not be the greatest live album around, but as a six year old, I was mesmerized listening to it over and over again while looking at the photos.

My mind was no match for Kiss back then and Alive II ended up being my gateway into the world of rock and roll, great guitar playing, and all the other good stuff that comes along with it.
I appreciate them for that and still listen to them once in a while because it always brings me back to those good ol' days.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Would you say I have a plethora?

This tops my list.

[TELEVISION LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF]

I'd give the edge to the Live in Portland bootleg in terms of how much I enjoy it.

But on the personal significance axis, it's got to be The Blow-Up, if only because I've been listening to it for decades at this point.

In a different thread, I might mention that these Television double.live albums were not actually released during the 1970s; but since this thread already has several a) non-double albums, b) non-live albums and c) non-1970s albums...

lupowitz

Tele-Afflicted
Zappa_Roxy_%26_Elsewhere.jpg

Zappa_in_New_York.jpg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'd give the edge to the Live in Portland bootleg in terms of how much I enjoy it.

But on the personal significance axis, it's got to be The Blow-Up, if only because I've been listening to it for decades at this point.

In a different thread, I might mention that these Television double.live albums were not actually released during the 1970s; but since this thread already has several a) non-double albums, b) non-live albums and c) non-1970s albums...
I suppose that’s true. I didn’t list Blondie Sex Offender for that reason.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
The Ramones - It's Alive (recorded 1977;released 1979)

Iggy & the Stooges - Metallic 2 x KO (recorded 1973/74; released 1988)

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
None of those are live.
Umma gumma had a full album of live , including: set the controls, saucerfull secrets, astronmy domine, carefull with that axe,
recorded at Mother's club bermingham 27 april 1969 andManchester college of commerce 2 may 1969

one of my favorite albums of all time

kent1113

TDPRI Member
Of course they did, why wouldn’t they?
Yes, that's commonly done but I meant that the audience was recorded louder than usual. When that album came out there was a lot of comments about it

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/frampton-comes-alive-51-376104#sthash.5dtMvqLA.dpuf

The engineer is talking about a 5.1 remix of the original recording:

“The original album was a little over the top with the audience,” says Ainlay. “If you listen to the [original album], there is so much coloration from the audience mics being so cranked up that to make the remix sound good, we backed off a little bit.

On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because “Show Me the Way” had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material.

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, that's commonly done but I meant that the audience was recorded louder than usual. When that album came out there was a lot of comments about it

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/frampton-comes-alive-51-376104#sthash.5dtMvqLA.dpuf

The engineer is talking about a 5.1 remix of the original recording:

“The original album was a little over the top with the audience,” says Ainlay. “If you listen to the [original album], there is so much coloration from the audience mics being so cranked up that to make the remix sound good, we backed off a little bit.

On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because “Show Me the Way” had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material.

Many live albums are not as "live" as we might think. Once they started recording using multitrack there were all kinds of fixes, overdubs etc. To a varying degree of course.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry if they've been mentioned already:

Kiss: Alive II
Ozzy: Speak of the Devil (ok, ok it's from '82 but that's pretty close to the 70's and the machinery was probably still running)

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m a bit too young to remember those albums first-hand, but…

The Rolling Stones Love You Live—specifically the “third side” changed my life in 1984 (no exaggeration).

Also, I just love live albums in general; a lot of people say they hate them, but I don’t know why…maybe because I’m one of those weirdos who wants to hear different arrangements of their own songs.

Last edited:

1guy

Tele-Meister
Had Deep Purple, Made In Japan on 8-track...I hated how you couldn't easily replay a song. Space Trucking was my JAM!

My buddy got Kiss Alive. His mom usually bought him whatever he wanted, but for some reason, she made him spend his money.

He didn't have enough and somehow I had a few dollars.

I gave him a couple bucks and made a deal for half of the posters.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I seem to remember a Johnny Winter double album that was really 3/4 of a double album. One side of one LP was blank. I think he said if he fit the songs on on a single LP, the audio quality would have suffered . . . I didn't dream this, did I?

Found it. Audio quality was not the driver. <Edit> Released in 1969.

"Second Winter
is the third studio album by Texas blues guitarist Johnny Winter, released in 1969. The original plan was to edit the songs from the recording session into one album but it was later thought that all the recordings were good enough to be released. The album was released as a "three-sided" LP, with a blank fourth side on the original vinyl"

View attachment 917149

Still my favorite Johnny Winter album. For decades, I've used the blank side to adjust the anti-skate on turntables. You can drop the needle, then dial in a perfect balance in a few seconds.