Who remembers 1984?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 16, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I quit TV and radio through the '80s as well, even into the '90s.
    Set up a raw Brooklyn loft space in '89 and advertised for a roommate, stating "no TV".
    People would call saying they would bring a TV, and we'd say we don't want a TV in the place.
    They often got very upset by the idea of no TV!
    Didn't go back to TV culture until right after 9/11.

As for Orwell, I read 1984 in 1984.

1955 likes this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mike Campbell also co-wrote the song.

3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm too old to remember anything past 4 days ago.

1955 likes this.
  4. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Like the song. Didn't stop me from blasting this when it came out:

DH made serious badass points years later when he jumped on stage at a Mojo Mojo show and sang along.

5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was six when the song came out, so I didn't hear it till several years later. As a hair metal-on-to-grunge kid, I remember deeply disliking the synths. However, when this cover came along in my early adulthood, it made me realize how great the song is, and I really love the original now. Especially since I found out that Mike Campbell was such a big part of it.

I always preferred the Ataris' line, "...Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac".

bromdenlong likes this.
  6. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

I don't know exactly where I was when I first heard it, but I'd probably just returned from my first WESTPAC deployment. We went to Korea, Thailand, Australia..

I was 19, and an electrician in the Navy.

I also reread 1984 that year...maybe Brave New World, too. The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, too, now that I think about it.

In Pusan, Korea, I met a Korean sailor who took me to a dance club filled with high school girls. American women sometimes walked away from me mid-song on the dance floor. In that club, I had at least a dozen girls earnestly imitating my every move: the swim, the Charleston, you name it. I felt like a rock star. :)

7. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

correction: I was 20.

8. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

I've heard it first time NOW. I remember 1984 fine and there were much better songs then... Sorry

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Around 1992 I met a couple whose names were Winston and Julia. Does that count?

10. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Mike Campbell wrote the music. He recorded a demo of it and gave it to Tom Petty. Tom eventually gave it back to him and said he couldn't figure out what to do with it. (Campbell admits that there was a wonkey chord change in the early version that he reworked before presenting it to Henley.)

Jimmy Iovine suggested to Campbell that he show it to Henley. From what I've read, Henley loved it and wrote lyrics to it almost immediately and then wanted to rush recording the tune to get a video to MTV as soon as possible and then finish recording his album.

Story has it, Campbell and Petty were in a car, listening to the radio when the tune came on, Petty listened to the song, completely silent and when it was over, immediately expressed his regret of letting the music get away and vowed to never let it happen again.

11. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

I didn’t pop out until November of that year.

12. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

It was a huge hit when it came out. They haven't stopped playing it since. Never been a Henley or Eagles fan, but this is a great song, perfect arrangement, flawless production.

I think that if it deserves any criticism, it would be that it's empty sentimentality masquerading as substance. But as a musician, I can only say that it does that about as effectively as can be done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.