Who remembers 1984?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 16, 2021.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! I think my Mom bought the record at the Tower store in San Mateo

RobRiggs likes this.
  2. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1984, George Orwell.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  3. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

1984, i was 15. this and all the rest of the mtv music annoyed the hell out of me. i used to listen to the smiths, lloyd cole & the commotions, the cure, the boomtown rats, joy division, billy bragg. my brother listened to classic and hard rock. we both had an understanding that top 40 music never got played in our house. that said, boys of summer was everywhere. i mean everywhere. played by mulleted fools on their walkmans, acid washed jeans, pastel sweaters and white loafers.
    yak.

4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Sure I remember, I was 13 in '84 and that's when I started really getting into music. I still think of '84 as the most 80s year of the 80s. I would record my favorite tunes from the radio on my little boom box, lots of Prince, Madonna, Duran Duran, Van Halen, The Police, Cars, Eurythmics, Thompson Twins, Culture Club, Quiet Riot. I suppose it all seems a bit cheesy now, but at the time all that stuff seemed super cool and new.

I definitely liked "Boys of Summer" at the time but I had no idea who Don Henley was, what he was singing about or who the Eagles were.

RobRiggs and Skully like this.
  5. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

1984 was the first time I saw SRV play :)

RobRiggs likes this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I always liked that song, too. It came out when I was 12 years old. We'd moved state to state a couple years before, and it did not go well. I spent a lot of time that year in my room listening to the radio and daydreaming.

7. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Not cheesy at all, except for maybe Quiet Riot, but even they had a couple of cool tunes. It was super cool and new.

8. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I was already an Eagles fan...great song with many more to follow....but in 1984 Van Halen ruled the roost.

Don Henley and Glenn Frey,. two of the best singer songwriters ever.

9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yeah, the thread title had me wondering if I was supposed to remember the book or events of the year.

I found a job in Dallas and moved in April from Seattle. Had one of my hi-fi speakers in the back seat and a cassette/receiver in the front. Had about 6 cassettes in the front, listened mostly to Little Feat, Hoy-Hoy. I was driving a 10 year old Dodge Colt with a 1600 cc engine and towing a small sailboat. In Arizona and New Mexico, I really had to keep an eye on the temp gage. When I'd stop for gas or restroom, I'd have to leave the car running while I got out an anti-freeze bottle and put it under the radiator discharge hose to prevent spilling coolant, then I'd shut off the engine and it would boil over. I smoked at that time and used a Zippo. I was wearing fringed jean shorts driving across New Mexico, lit my cigarette, and proceeded to close the Zippo on my thigh - igniting the fringe of my shorts. I managed to extinguish the flame without slowing down.

"Boys of Summer" was not a song that I was particularly fond of.

I enjoyed my time in Dallas, but I'm happy to be back in Seattle.

bromdenlong and telemnemonics like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife was born in '75, loved the '80s culture, and calls all the '80s music cheesy.
    Sometimes a pizza is just what you want!
    Cheesy isn't always an insult!

Skully likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A friend once commented after being asked if he had any kids and saying no, that he actually couldn't be 100% certain that was true!

I doubt I'm anybody's daddy but there's gotta be a lotta boys of summer who never met the real dad, because he was only there for one hot steamy night. I didn't even do the bar scene, just seemingly everybody, single or not, was ready to go.

References to "the summer of love" are greatly exaggerated compared to the boys of summer era.

I understand today's youth is not like that?
    Not 100% certain that's true though...

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Great thread. Boys of Summer is a great song in all ways. Shoot, the video was great. The deadhead sticker on a caddilac was just something you had to experience... the implications of selling out and buying in and getting older and not totally realizing it. I finished a couple of years of traveling doing construction and was heading back to grad school in 1984. So, I am a boomer and lived all the references... good and bad.

Henley is a great talent as a singer, musician and songwriter. Too many hits, too many instances with various artists where he not only charts, he creates something new and different. His ability to collaborate with a variety of talents and make 'their music' is also notable.

I remember well hearing that song (and buying it) and wondering if this was what it was to be older... just the wistful acceptance of wishing for what you had and knowing it was never coming back and that it had been wasted. I had all those feelings in 1984... I think I was realizing that I thought people had expectations for me only to discover nobody really even notices you. Some things I thought might be the way things would go didn't turn out to fit like I thought they might. Romantically, things were pretty messed up... I'd just broken up with a hairstylist/makeup person (who had also been in penthouse) who I met during my tv time... I was adrift in my freshly fixed up 65 Apache... I took my time driving back east to spend time with friends in Texas for a month, then through the deep south to see the places I'd read about (got to meet Eudora Welty) and then spend time chasing ghosts and visit relatives I'd never met in Alabama. My second trip to Nashville...

My other memories of 1984 include seeing a guy in Williamsburg who had a really interesting piano style who had just started a new band. He was a hometown kid and everyone loved his music. I remember thinking, man, he is great. I found out he had been in the band Ambrosia, which a high school girlfriend of mine had a brother in that band, so that was kind of a coincidence. I think it was the next year that he released his hit 'The Way It Is' and LOVED that song.

During the course of 1984, my entire life changed so much... and, in many ways, the song The Boys of Summer, were kind of a theme song... longing for the past, knowing you had to let it go to grow, but still looking back and wondering if what might have been was going to be as good as it ever got.

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I had moved back to England with my first wife in Jan of 84. I was big into STYX, Foreigner, REO type stuff back then.

Henley likes this.
  14. nico

nico TDPRI Member

I was 14, and heartbroken that summer. I listened to that song, and the whole album nearly non-stop. My impression is that the song was healing.

Cadillac_Mike and Henley like this.
  15. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

That is the hope of most songwriters I think. It makes you feel something inside so you remember it forever and transcends what they wrote on paper.

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  16. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

He was probably looking at his own car at the time.

driver8 likes this.
  17. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I was 34, married to my previous wife, and the guitarist in an all-original band in Atlanta. We had gotten some air play in the Atlanta area and appeared on the tv show Star Search a couple of times - my fifteen minutes of fame. I remember when I was told we were auditioning for Star Search, I didn't even know what it was, had never seen it. Back to Don Henley, I think of that song as a great recording and great piece of songcraft. His vocal is just magnetic too. But my memory is that it wasn't as exciting to me as the more minimalist Police and Cars type stuff of that era. I really loved Joe Jackson too. And Steely Dan, always.

18. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

1984 ?????????????????????????:confused:

19. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The synth-y drum sound on this for me made yet another, otherwise possibly good or great, 80s tune diminished ... that reverbed "pohhh pohhh" thing that I didn't care for at the time, and imo hasn't really aged well. Having said that being said :D , that sound was all the rage so yeah producers are all gonna copy-cat.

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  20. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I was married in '82. We gave away the TV and tuned into Radio 4. By '84 we were not listening to any new music, though we still went to see bands we had seen before. The Police, The Blues Band, Joe Jackson, Alexis Korner, George Thorogood amongst others.

My wife's grandparents had befriended Eric Blair (George Orwell) when he was writing Down and Out in Paris and London, so we went to see the film at the Muswell Hill Odeon the weekend it opened. Just a few hundred yards away from where they had lived when they had taken him in the late 20s.

I own three copies of the novel. One hardback and two paperbacks. When I put together a band in 1994, I sat the two paperbacks either side of the handle of my old RSC amp, which allowed my Peavey Stereo Chorus to sit on top. Until we got a PA we would rehearse with a couple of mics running through the RSC.

The first time I heard The Boys of Summer would have been in 2002. Pete Lincoln performed it at a solo gig. He was playing a Parker Fly. I have seen him play over thirty gigs since then. Every one he has played the same guitar. At the time he was also fronting Sailor, where he played a Godin. Later he fronted The Sweet playing bass, and on the Rock meets the Classics tour he played a Maybach Lester. He is now part of Frontm3n, and plays either a Clark Cole acoustic or the Parker Fly. It's a very light guitar, plays nicely, and he makes it sound great.

I could not tell you who wrote The Boys.... It came out in the period when we were not listening to new music. Like Summer of 69, it will always be one of Pete's songs to us.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.