1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who remembers 1984?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 16, 2021.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

He had so many good songs. "Last Worthless Evening", "End of Innocence", and this one, "New York Minute".

McGlamRock likes this.
  2. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

upload_2021-1-17_10-35-9.png

Turned 9 and spent the year deciphering the artwork. Mini metalhead since I was 7, this was my highlight of the year. Still one of my favorites.

Don Henley was something I heard on the radio but did not appreciate yet.

Living in the sticks with no cable and 3 channels, culture was in short supply.

gregulator450 likes this.
  3. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I was a Jr/Sr in H.S. and had just started playing guitar and discovered REM, The Replacements, and Husker Du. The Cars, Police, U2 were big too.
    I probably didn't like Boys of Summer when I first heard it but it's grown on me over the years.

driver8 likes this.
  4. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

I always wanted to hear an instrumental remix of TBOS. It's a very atmospheric track and would fit well in my playlist of 80s instrumentals.

5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Do I remember 1984? What, are you kidding? Last year my birthday cake looked like a prairie fire! I walked past the cemetery the other day and two guys came running after me with shovels! I’m old, I tell ya!

6. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

Lots of really good music created during that time. Not all have aged well due to the production and sounds used, but I’ve always been a fan of Don. Great voice, some really good songs.

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Our band plays it and it goes over well. I play my Mel9 so I can't do the guitar fills.

8. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I started my senior year of high school in the fall of 84. I had gotten into Stevie Ray Vaughan, & saw him live for the first time at Will Rogers Coliseum in Ft Worth that September. I was neck deep in all things Texas Blues, was way busy discovering that whole world, and I pretty much hated all the synthy pop music of the 80s, but I always liked that song from the first time I heard it, though I probably wouldn’t have admitted it at the time.

That song always makes me think of a particular girl from those days too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    RobRiggs and Marc Morfei like this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yes.
    Yes I do.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Had to run the programs to pull up more data but I'd say I had a full blown resentment against pop culture at that time.
    Prince? Blockedout the fact that he was a happening then, but I felt he was initially a poser trying to rip off Hendrix. It was later that he became a true shredder, and initially his big thing was playing all the instruments on his record in a boring manner, plus performing dressed only in a G string.

Back to 1984. I actually read 1984 in '84, while experiencing mild culture shock actually living in a city.

Figure college kids in '84 were born '64- '66.
    Their parents who were born in the '40s came from being told "not before marriage" and maybe rebelled with YES before marriage".
    Then those kids of the '60s heard the radio messages like "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" and many more. So those were the kids I encountered moving in to a summer sublet college apartment in '84.
    Consider also, if you're much younger, that we then lived in the pre HIV era, so there was zero roadblocks.

That to attempt to inform to meaning of "Boys of Summer".
    I started playing with a keyboard player that summer, and we were talking about forming a band but hadn't yet figured out what style was happening. He took a trip to visit family, and on the day he left his GF of several years showed up and seduced me.
    I asked what about her BF and she claimed they were sort of broken up for a while. She assumed he was going to hook up with some other girl on the trip. He got back and we all talked about the mess, she cried a little and he just looked baffled that she assumed he was going to cheat on her.
    Anyhow, at the end of that summer I was at a party with a bunch of the returning students, and a guy looked at me and commented that
    virtually everyone in the room had either slept with him or was a guy whose GF he had slept with.
    I had more of those twisted sisters behind me but won't make this a gun notching event!

These were all wealthy privileged soon to be movers and shakers, likely all now very wealthy and respected in upper class communities. So figure that anyone hearing the song might have felt more of a bittersweet "cheatin' heart" vibe as opposed to the maybe "one that got away" idealistic lost romance it might also sound like.

As that era progressed what I saw was the subculture which was a reaction to the post disco spandex hair band corporate rock thing.
    Friends I played with were in Live Skull, Cheater Slicks, Codeine and other alternative or semi underground bands.
    I saw Sonic Youth as a bar band but didn't know them.
    There was also some crossover between Jazz and Rock where players were emerging like Bill Frisell and John Zorn, plus veterans like Robert Quine. Saw Frisell in bars over and over, sometimes sitting only three feet away in the little Boston venues.

So what I saw was an '80s underground music revolution, a reaction to the new boys of summer culture that seemed to value almost nothing but money coke and parties.
    HIV sure changed all that, plus of course many did not survive the '80s upper class drug culture.

Now though I hear Boys of Summer in a more casual romantic light.
    An innocent little tune from an era when culture had no innocence at all.

MarkieMark and driver8 like this.
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember liking the song until I heard the line "Saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac" and I thought it was pretty stupid and cheesy. However, the line has grown on me and now it doesn't bother me like it did back then.

I was also going through a period where I was obsessed with metal - Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Alcatrazz, MSG, etc. If it weren't metal, it sucked.

gregulator450 likes this.
  12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I was 29, teaching in a Montessori school, and living in a one room studio with a bathroom for $100 a month.

superjam144 and telemnemonics like this.
  13. telemnemonics

Actually I'd forgotten that SRV hit pop radio with Bowie right then!
    That had a bigger impact on me and many players who didn't hunt down distant local music scenes (or live in TX).
    I virtually didn't know what was happening in Texas, and it was cool to hear some almost rootsy guitar that wasn't huge racks.
    AND excess synth in pop!
    Despite some guitar heroes clinging to pop, it seemed to me like guitar was getting pushed aside by synth tech.
    We already had Gary Numan proving pop needed no guitars (a seed that took decades to germinate and is only in the last decade or two throwing enough shadow on guitar to revoke our place in the sun)
    Bowie was doing a pretty good job of making pop music that retained some soul, but damn, '80s pop culture was pretty tragic!

dannyh and MarkieMark like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

A lot of 80's music I didn't like that much. But there was some great stuff and Petty, Nicks and Henley got me through some tough relationship things.

15. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

LOL...."remember" the early/mid 80's. Not so much. That decade is somewhat of a blur. There *may* have been some *mild* substance/alcohol abuse going on. 87'-89 is when things start coming back in focus.

16. telemnemonics

I assumed he was commenting on the yuppie thing?
    Though '70s Caddy's were then driven by more than a few dirt bag counter culture types in the '80s.
    That was not what I figure he meant though?
    "On a Cadillac" seemed to refer to those who bought them brand new and smoked big cigars?
    As in Deadheads going corporate?

Not long ago I saw a deadhead sticker on one of those $120,000 Mercedes G class SUV's.
    Oh the irony!

RobRiggs and driver8 like this.
  17. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Really? I thought that was one of the better lines in the song, kind of pointing to the sellout culture and the loss of some kind of 60s values in a very tangible way. I think Henley said he actually saw it IRL, which inspired the line. Life -> art! ;-)

RobRiggs, superjam144 and scook like this.
  18. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I’m among the last of the Boomers, born in 63. When I first heard BOS I thought: “What’s even lamer than the Eagles? Henley cashing in with a synth pop song about getting old. Yuck!” My opinion has mellowed a bit. It’s a good song, well written, great production. But I find it (and Henley generally) shallow, self-righteous, and whiny. YMMV.

I was not nearly as critical of Van Halen for cashing in with a synth pop song about absolutely nothing that same year.

Cadillac_Mike and Dismalhead like this.
  19. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I notice you’re out of SF. We used to take BART and MUNI out to the Tower Records in SF in the 80’s because it was so much cooler than the ‘burbs. Good times.

Dismalhead likes this.
  20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. Grew up in Dublin (CA).

RobRiggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.