1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who remembers 1984?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 16, 2021.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

1984...a North Atlantic deployment (got above the Artic circle). I stood watch while ice formed around the ship in a Norwegian fjord. I ate some eel soup in Vlissingen that made me sick. I teamed up with three locals at a pub in Portsmouth, UK one evening to win the dart contest (they were thrilled...I made some incredibly lucky throws...a 15 seconds of fame moment). More training ops. Then, another Mediterranean deployment. The background music to all that was whatever they were playing in the pubs and discos at the time. Musically, I was still doggedly playing an acoustic...John Denver, CSNY, and whatever was in a "greatest hits" book.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As soon as I heard The War On Drugs’ “Under The Pressure” I immediately thought that it was a lot like “Boys of Summer.” The whole album has the same feel. Came out in 2014, so it’s 30 years later...

Lawdawg likes this.
  3. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was 11 and it was around that time, maybe a year later, when I started keeping a cassette tape in my cheap no-name brand boom box, waiting for songs I liked so that I could press the record button quickly enough to capture it. Those were the days. Come to think of it, I guess that was the beginning of music piracy?

While I remember the song for sure, at that time I was discovering late 60s to mid-70s music whilst my sister (2 yrs older) was heading a different direction into Cyndi Lauper.

Fast forward 35+ years, and while my sister knows I’m a bit of a Deadhead (I had no idea who they were in the 80s - and I’m nowhere near schooled in Deadheadery as many of you), she recently told me that she just found out that they aren’t a heavy metal band. I guess she assumed that was the case as I had gone through an Anthrax phase in the mid-80s.

bromdenlong and stormsedge like this.
  4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I got heavy into Mountainbike

stormsedge likes this.
  5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got married in 1984.

We'd been together for 7-years and when I'd finished University we tied the knot!

We're still together chalking up 44-years! :)

Attached Files:

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

1984 into 1985, that song was in constant rotation on MTV.

I had just returned to the US from a long tour in Germany, and settled into life on a military base with my future ex-wife and our kid.

It was a strange and heady time, I'll just say that much.
    I got into a lot of things that I should have avoided.

:oops:

[​IMG]

7. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I was born in December 1964. My vague memory of it was that Don Henley was famous for some reason but I had no idea who he was.
    I quite like it now and I even watched an Eagles concert on Sky Arts the other week ( don’t know what the US equivalent channel would be, Fox something...). It’s sort of old men’s music so it’s had to wait a few decades for me to catch up.
    I remember going to see Purple Rain at the cinema and to see Nik Kershaw in concert. They were both great.

there is an idea that 1984 is the book that people are most likely to say they have read even though they haven’t.
    I (genuinely) have although I can’t remember much more about it than people who would be bluffing.

8. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

1984. I was living off grid in the boondocks. We had a little sheep farm, and I worked at a maple sugary for cash flow. We lived there for eight years, at which point my wife conceived a longing for electricity and we moved back with the normal people. So I'm perfectly normal now, just like you!, and everybody is very happy.

stormsedge likes this.
  9. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    Went to the flicks to see John Hurt & Richard Burton in 1984, thinking these guys would feature heavily on the soundtrack. Still a decent movie though.

10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

More proud than I probably should be that I haven't read it, or seen the movie.

RoyalBaby likes this.
  11. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

I was 18, in college and saw two Dead shows that year. Bought my MIJ Squier Telecaster that year. As for the song, it was okay.

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Eh. Been a while since I heard that song, and I’d be happy to go back and give it a listen. At the time I’m sure I lumped it in with all the rest of the slick overly-commercialized MTV pop of that era (Huey Lewis! Bryan Adams!) Of course Don Henley and Mike Campbell are of a higher caliber than most of the rest. In the 80s I was listening to REM, the Replacements, Elvis Costello, etc.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    driver8 likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

It was ok. The post Eagles Frey-Henley thing was odd to me. I didn't see either of them as the force behind the Eagles (and still don't). But they both were very successful, and put out some quality stuff post Eagles. Knowing what I know now about them, the band, the players, and the industry, I think there was a plan..

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

In 1984 I had just gotten out of the Marines and was hanging out at my Grandfather's farm in an old, rundown, farmhouse. I probably heard it on the radio in my Chevette (never, ever, buy a GM product) when I was driving around. It didn't particularly catch my attention though. I didn't have a TV or cable to watch MTV then and I had left my college stereo system, records and guitars in storage at my parents house so driving was the only time I listened to music. I moved to the Atlanta area at the end of the year and started playing guitar again soon after.

Now, if there was a song from 1984 from a former Eagle that caught my attention, it was Smuggler's Blues by Glenn Frey. Probably due to the slide guitar in it.

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  15. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Me too - In July no less

16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

EFF2A3A3-C7E9-4D3C-AC60-4844EFB5EF52.jpeg We are now in 1984, fellas. Need one of these.

17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Cubs won the divison, Rick Sutcliffe won 16 straight. They went up 2-0 in the playoffs, and then lost 3 straight.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

John Hurt nailed it...

bromdenlong likes this.
  19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Im from 64 december as well. In 84 I got done as a Car Mechanic after a 3.5 year education. Met my future , and present wife. I know the song , but cant remember hearing it back then. The Eagles were never big in Europe , IIRC.
    I remember going to bars , and they had screens up with music videos....No MTV yet.
    Started playing guitar again that year....

RoyalBaby likes this.
  20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a kid, the year 1984 loomed large in my mind. It was the year I would turn 18; the year I would graduate from high school. Of course, it was also the title of a book by George Orwell about a dystopian future, and that added to its power.

I've always loved the song "The Boys of Summer" and its video. (Year ago, I interviewed the middle aged man who snaps the pencil. He was an industry exec of some sort. I can't remember his name.) For me, it's a little bit more 1985 than 1984. It came out in October of 1984, four months after I graduated from high school and nine months after I turned 18, and that period has different flavor for me.

I'm not sure what synths they used on that song. I remember Henley saying they were taking some Fairlights on tour. I saw Henley on that tour. The concert was at the Concord Pavilion, where my high school graduation ceremonies were held and Bill Graham would later embark on his fatal helicopter flight following a Huey Lewis & The News concert. The Henley show wasn't too memorable, save for a section where, IIRC, automated lights on cranes started swooping around the stage. (Perhaps it was during "Building the Perfect Beast"). Henley's vocals were great, as always, but he's never been much of a performer, and that night was no exception to the rule.

Lawdawg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.