1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who remembers 1984?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 16, 2021.

1. JRicoC

JRicoC Tele-Meister

Funny that you should ask about that song. For me, it was one of the few that the very first time I heard it I knew it was the best new song I would hear in that year. I was a college sophomore. I can remember lots of stuff that I loved coming out at that time. That was during the "Purple Rain" days for Prince, "1984" (shocker), for Van Halen, breakthrough New-Wave stuff from INXS, The Alarm, and U2. But most of my contemporary listening during that period was focused on The Police.

But for me, when I thnk of 1984 i ALWAYS think of My Song of the Year: The Boys of Summer.

If you'd started a thread about 1985 and Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", I would have waxed about my junior/senior year faves. Which still had a lot of Police ... and then, Sting ...

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Was '84 the year Jerry spent in a coma?
    When I moved to Boston I met lots of college girls, and many were deadheads.
    They kept commenting that Jerry needed to go on a diet.
    Either way, their message implied that the Dead were moving into the past?

Consider also that all of us who were adults then, had recently survived Disco.
    So we might have had music PTSD.

Trying to think of pop radio, wasn't that the summer of Springsteen's Dancin' in the Dark?
    Over and over and over?
    Pretty dismal to me at least.

3. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

I remember I had better options.

[​IMG]

4. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

"You can't start a fire!" Oh, sorry lol...

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Lucius Paisley

6. Cadillac_Mike

Being from Aussie did you know of Roxus? This is such a cheesy Bon Jovi ripoff but I can't help but like it lol...

7. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

We were too obsessed with REM and the Replacements to listen to "mainstream" radio in '84, but Henley's was one of the better songs of the time, and one I really liked. A nice synth counterpoint to the absolutely awful "Jump" that was played non-stop, and the Bruce & Prince stuff that I likewise just couldn't stand. I still don't get Prince to this day, lol.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  8. Cadillac_Mike

Prince is a bit of an acquired taste I'd say. I'm from Minnesota and Prince is basically The King of the state lol. My dad's Jeff Beck Strat was actually setup by Prince's guitar tech, no kidding.

driver8 likes this.
  9. Lucius Paisley

Unfortunately, yes. Fortunately, they didn't go very far.

I don't know how this came about, but their ex vocalist, Juno Roxas, provided vocal voiceover for this song parody.

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  10. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

This rings some bells. I don't think the 'Mats really ever caught on in the UK, but somebody lent me a tape with "Reckoning" on it, and hey. presto, REM were my new favourite band (let's say, they made the short list). I don't connect "Boys of Summer" particularly with '84 - I remember it being one of the better songs that daytime radio was playing, but I probably prefer it now, as a piece of nostalgia that I did then. Until reading this thread today, I never considered the dead head sticker to be anything than a skull and crossbones :D

I was 16, going on 17 in the summer of '84. I'd finished school and had a summer job gardening for the local hospital to make some cash before going to VIth Form. I had money in my pocket and an appetite for beer and music. That summer was mostly sunshine, and the work was mostly fun. We did garden work for the student nursing accommodation - there was eye candy. Music wise, the highlights (apart from REM) were The Smiths, Nick Cave, The Fall, Echo & the Bunnymen, New Order, The Sisters of Mercy, Billy Bragg, The Pogues, The Cure..... An amazing time in music (but all times have their outstanding elements). The other side of that REM tape was All About Eve's debut album which was pretty great too.

driver8 and Cadillac_Mike like this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was down in the city building an 80' steel/Ali cruiser about 100 yards off the riverbank, I was riding my Guzzi mk1 Le Mans to work, my gf at the time had her own nail business with her sister on the central mall in the city. We went clubbing a lot...

I was rocking my Devo new traditionalists Tshirt I got at the merch stand at their concert ...

devo shirt.jpg

12. Cadillac_Mike

Hahahaha. That Roxus video is so wonderfully cheesy I think it works. Cracks me up how they're copying 1987 Bon Jovi and Europe in like 1991 lol right before grunge killed it completely.

Who were the popular artists in Aussie in the 80's other than AC/DC?

13. Lucius Paisley

I guess this belongs here now.

14. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

1984.jpg

M2roadwarrior and Cadillac_Mike like this.
  15. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

The 'Mats are Minnesota boys! ;-). Maybe that's one reason we couldn't stand Prince (aside from that godawful voice), we couldn't understand how he got all the recognition when there were masterpieces happening from "real" bands going unnoticed

Marc Morfei likes this.
  16. Lucius Paisley

If you mean just Australian bands, I couldn't really say. Same as what was popular with the rest of the world at the time, I guess.

I mean, the mark of an Australian band "making it" in the early 80's was if they made it "big" in the US. In the late 80's, it was if they made "big" in the UK.

Which in both instances was INXS.

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  17. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

Now I sees you lives out in the west coast there 'by...dat there is treason and you should be expelled to a certain moon via USA Space Force which yoo will be down h'omer. Are yoo proudz of yourz-selfz...I needz to kick your arse inz...Cape Bretonerz????!!!:confused:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I was 32. Heavy into Country & Reggae music wise. Offshore sailing and round the bouys racing took up most of my spare time.
    I listened to very little pop music. Boys of Summer wasn’t bad but it was played so much, overandoveraneoveragain, that I developed a distaste for it. Years later I actually “listened” to it and discovered it’s not a bad song. Some of the lyrics are funny but just as plastic as the 80s in general

19. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

I listened to blues, bluegrass and folk in 1984 - don't remember hearing this.

D.H.

20. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Born in 84 - a boy of summer.

DLReed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.