Who plays the guitar straight through the amp only without effects?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jutter, May 27, 2019.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

For around ten or fifteen years, I focused more on my playing and less on my sound while I learned more traditional jazz. I was mainly looking for good cleans with maybe a touch of reverb, so I used my Roland 80XL Cube most of the time, plus that amp was easy to transport when playing out. It also had some very usable effects and models when needed. My playing has evolved to more fusion and jazz oriented blues. For that, I am using a combination of pedals through an original Boogie Express 5:50. I love the sound through those pedals.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Harry Styron likes this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Me. But I don't play guitar out in public much nowadays. I never did use more than one pedal at a time, though, if at all. I play more bass with others nowadays, but it's the same. I only use a dirt pedal for a tiny bit of dirt, but mainly for compression.

EDIT: oh yeah. Rock/rawk, alt-country, punkabilly, classic rock, grunge, blooz.

3. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

I do that a lot. Especially since I bought my Super Champ.

Bill and DekeDog like this.
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

you're not playing shoegaze without pedals. or most postpunk.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Never used a pedal on stage, and only one time in the studio for one lead on one song.

Greg_L likes this.
  6. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I have been going to these jam sessions on the weekends. A lot of fun but they're only 2 hours long usually. Some guys show up with WAYYY too much gear for the event. They're bringing full pedal boards and all other kinds of nonsense.

It's a 2 hour mess-around session. I bring a guitar, an amp, and a cable. I leave the pedalboards at home.

7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Thanks for the correction, I guess I should go amend my original post. :D

Nah.

8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

For a long time I would crank my tube amps into overdrive and it was fun but it would wear out tubes faster and speakers would blow.So now I just use a tubescreamer to get my overdrive sound at a lower volume and it sounds great and much easier to handle.I just leave it on all night to get that cranked amp sound at a more manageable volume.

9. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I used to play straight into the amp exclusively up until 2 years ago. Now I have a small number of pedals, but I use them sparingly when gigging (barely at home) : compressor, wah, OD (mostly used as a boost, when needed), a tremolo and a delay.

DekeDog likes this.
  10. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I have a jazzbox hollowbody from Ibanez, an AFJ95, that doesn't need pedals. It does like the multiple gain stages on my Supersonic 22W though.

All the solidbodies and the semihollows get pedals....

11. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I usually do but then I'll use a compressor with a Tele most often.

Gary

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't rely on pedals, but if they're not making your sound better, you're probably not using them correctly or in the right context.

Context, context, context. Don't use stuff, just because you can, but also don't avoid tasteful use of effects in the proper context because some old dude on the interwebs believes some magic about "Plugging straight in". It can literally make or break a track/performance, even just a bit of a simple effect like reverb or delay. There's a pretty big line between relying on pedals as 'talent boosters' and tasteful sound enhancement ;)

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. PHutch

PHutch TDPRI Member

I've been plugging straight in to my Fender amps for twenty years, and am still thoroughly amused with reverb and tremolo. I generally see effects as a crutch, great players let their hands and talent make the music great.

14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

these days, on sunday mornings, i'm using a strat straight into a vox ac4, no effects, no reverb, just the volume knob and careful palm muting. that little amp works just fine!

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

before I start any recording or playing I always go straight into an amp just to hear the guitar tone , I may add something later but always dry , because if it doesnt sound good dry it will only sound like crap later.

that does not mean I dont experiment later , its just how i start, I also have a go to single coil guitars to hear amp noise and pickup noise , then i test a dead silent HB .and single coils to see where my noise floor is.

16. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I have not performed in decades. I have a few pedals and I really almost never use them.

My EC Strat or Tele with Charlie Christian neck pickup straight into my Roland Blues Cube are nice but when they go into my Princeton Reverb 65 RI they sound exquisite with just a touch of that fender Reverb dialed in.

I do love a clean sound....

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If I just want to play clean the good ol' Princeton sounds nice.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just use an old KMD analog delay I bought new many moons ago, an EHX Hum Debugger, and a MicroMASS, so I've got all the effects I need with just one effects pedal, and the Exy's onboard tremolo.

Exy Weber Tele Pedals.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  19. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

I usually play with no pedals or sometimes with just a looper. I have pedals that i use from time to time especially delay and tremolo but somehow the amp just sounds better with no pedals . Even true bypass pedals don't seem completely transparent in the off position.I like that fender clean sound so life is easy,just plug and play.
    If I play out it's acoustic so once again no pedals other than an amp simulator that allows me to plug into the PA

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have done it, but to get in the tone zone I cant do it at real gigs. Too loud and a limited range of volume to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.