Who plays the guitar straight through the amp only without effects?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jutter, May 27, 2019.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

For around ten or fifteen years, I focused more on my playing and less on my sound while I learned more traditional jazz. I was mainly looking for good cleans with maybe a touch of reverb, so I used my Roland 80XL Cube most of the time, plus that amp was easy to transport when playing out. It also had some very usable effects and models when needed. My playing has evolved to more fusion and jazz oriented blues. For that, I am using a combination of pedals through an original Boogie Express 5:50. I love the sound through those pedals.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Me. But I don't play guitar out in public much nowadays. I never did use more than one pedal at a time, though, if at all. I play more bass with others nowadays, but it's the same. I only use a dirt pedal for a tiny bit of dirt, but mainly for compression.

EDIT: oh yeah. Rock/rawk, alt-country, punkabilly, classic rock, grunge, blooz.

3. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

I do that a lot. Especially since I bought my Super Champ.

DekeDog likes this.
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

you're not playing shoegaze without pedals. or most postpunk.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Never used a pedal on stage, and only one time in the studio for one lead on one song.

Greg_L likes this.
  6. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I have been going to these jam sessions on the weekends. A lot of fun but they're only 2 hours long usually. Some guys show up with WAYYY too much gear for the event. They're bringing full pedal boards and all other kinds of nonsense.

It's a 2 hour mess-around session. I bring a guitar, an amp, and a cable. I leave the pedalboards at home.

7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Thanks for the correction, I guess I should go amend my original post. :D

Nah.

8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

For a long time I would crank my tube amps into overdrive and it was fun but it would wear out tubes faster and speakers would blow.So now I just use a tubescreamer to get my overdrive sound at a lower volume and it sounds great and much easier to handle.I just leave it on all night to get that cranked amp sound at a more manageable volume.

9. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I used to play straight into the amp exclusively up until 2 years ago. Now I have a small number of pedals, but I use them sparingly when gigging (barely at home) : compressor, wah, OD (mostly used as a boost, when needed), a tremolo and a delay.

DekeDog likes this.
  10. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I have a jazzbox hollowbody from Ibanez, an AFJ95, that doesn't need pedals. It does like the multiple gain stages on my Supersonic 22W though.

All the solidbodies and the semihollows get pedals....

11. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I usually do but then I'll use a compressor with a Tele most often.

Gary

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't rely on pedals, but if they're not making your sound better, you're probably not using them correctly or in the right context.

Context, context, context. Don't use stuff, just because you can, but also don't avoid tasteful use of effects in the proper context because some old dude on the interwebs believes some magic about "Plugging straight in". It can literally make or break a track/performance, even just a bit of a simple effect like reverb or delay. There's a pretty big line between relying on pedals as 'talent boosters' and tasteful sound enhancement ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.