Who plays the guitar straight through the amp only without effects?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jutter, May 27, 2019.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm a 'straight in to the amp' kinda guy, but there's usually a delay in the loop.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I traded my Supro Statesman for a Black Magick and a Supro Delay. Once I got that amp I sold off all of my pedals except my Keely Dark Side and a tuner. Even then, I plug straight in 90% of the time.

3. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I don't like many effects but the ones I like I use all the time. I just love the boss bd2, dd3 and my Morley wah. If I had to play a gig with one pedal it would be the wah as long as I can get everything else I need from the amp and guitar.

4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play blues, classic rock, pop and some country. No pedals, mostly Blues Jr IV all clean.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 TDPRI Member

In olden days when I played in bands I just ran my Am Std Tele into my Pro 185 with no pedals, though I did use the gain channel and built in reverb on the amp.

Now that I'm old I'm playing through a tiny Vox Mini3 and I enjoy the built in effects... Usually have the compression and spring reverb on, but I also like the tremolo setting.

I've recently picked up a few pedals: a boss looper and digitech whammy, and a friend recently gave me an sd-1 as a gift.

6. TLR_

TLR_ TDPRI Member

For the most part I play with no effects. Regardless of the amp I'm using at the time (even my reliable Peavey Special 130) I like the old style Tele neck pickup with only occasionally a touch of reverb. An aside; wasn't it Danny Gatton, who when asked about one of his amps that lacked effects joked in replying something along the lines of 'Turn it up loud enough and it doesn't need reverb!' In any case, it's just what suits me.

7. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

I'm going to experiment with a no-pedal approach for my June gigs. The amp (Quilter Aviator 8) has 2 channels + reverb, though.

I like how much tonal variation I get just working the volume & tone knobs already, and I'll add a 4 way switch to the Tele this week. Sure seems like 2 channels, 2 pickups and the series/parallel option ought to be enough to keep me happy.

8. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Tele straight into whatever amp I feel like playing.

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

I plug straight in the amp quite often.

But I do add a lil delay or reverb most times .

My only pedals are overdrive's , but they are just for warmth & bite .

10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Traditionally, I’ve been a one pedal kind of guy. Some kind of od/distortion pedal.

Earlier this year,I bought my first pedal board. it’s still pretty bare bones by some standards. As often as not, I only have my EQ and reverb engaged. Sometimes with a very sudden slapback delay.

I have two dirt pedals, but my rhythm player tends to play very crunchy. If I go that route too, it just sounds mushy.

So I’m a newly converted pedal board guy who uses his effects very sparingly, if at all. As a result, I’ve gotten more positive feedback about my tone over the past few months than I ever have before.

I listen to the tones of other guys playing live when I’m out and about. And, as far as non-name players, very rare is the guy who I think “he sounds better than I do.” The sound of a good player through a quality tube amp can’t be rivaled by effects. That’s just so much cheese.

11. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Just a Tele and a Twin.

Rock

jwp2 likes this.
  12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My "tone" is an electrical current highly manipulated by the electronics of my electric guitar and much more so by my amplifier. Effects pedals are only more manipulation. I use the effects pedals that please me.

cyclopean likes this.
  13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Well, this thread seems to have gone from "Who goes straight in" to "the effects pedals that I use".

14. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

man, I don't blame you at all with that rig. ive only heard one magnatone like that in my life and I think about it every day. lol. the best sounding amp ive ever heard. it stopped every person in the store dead in their tracks.

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have enough toys to make any guitars to sound like an orchestra or a sitar if I want , I can trigger my synths with my guitars , but I always start with a guitar into an amp straight up , to familiarize my self with the guitar , if I am reherasing , practicing, or having fun, each guitar has a different sound and that I love the most.

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Probably over 90% of the time at home. As for gigs, the percentage is even higher. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gigged with my BOSS ME-70 multi-effects pedal that I bought 9 years ago.

That's the only pedal I own. Like the OP, not even a tuner pedal. I bought the ME-70 thinking it might be a "gateway" pedal to others. Didn't happen. And while I am familiar with the "never say never" dictum, I can safely say that I have no plans whatsoever of buying any more pedals.

As for what type of music I play, I'm an old guy...I play old stuff. Classic Country, Classic Rock, jazz/pop standards, a bit of blues. I play mostly clean, occasionally with just a bit of grit, which I get from tweaking the Gain and Volume knobs.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  17. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

With this rig = no pedals

[​IMG]

I use some dirt pedals at home though....

Flakey and mimmo like this.
  18. jutter

jutter Tele-Meister

Those are my thoughts too, regrettable....:(

Greg_L likes this.
  19. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

Playing straight in from guitar to amp with no effects at home is fun and easy, if a style requires effects in the studio or live onstage then effects are warranted and make a big difference. I love the option of effects as needed, so I put my favorites together with good wiring onto a pedal board that I have never pulled the pedals off of since I put it together because I don’t want to break cables or loosen connections. It has the right amount of true bypass and some buffering up front for the cable length so it’s pretty hard to tell the difference with eyes closed between when my pedals are all turned off and plugging straight in, the pedals are all silent when turned off. Using individual wall warts and longer cables between pedals with a power strip can get noisy, I use an isolated power supply connected to the bottom of the board, it quiets the hum and static a lot.

20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Besides a tuner, I play guitar direct into amp 99% of the time. I use the right guitars and amps for the music I play and I SOOOO much prefer the raw simplicity of sounding great, and appropriate, without wanting or needing any crutches or fluff. I play original material high energy rock and roll.

jutter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.