Who plays the guitar straight through the amp only without effects?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jutter, May 27, 2019.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I buy effects, use them for a week , then thats it, they re put away for good, usually. I either go str8 in or thru a 0 - 32 db op-amp boost w 18 V of headroom so it adds nothing but signal size. Much better sound stage w-out effects. Effects don t have a high enough input or output Z so they ruin the dimensionality. My boost changes it a little too, makes the p-up sound EMGish, so a boost w a transformer out w guitar Z is a waiting project.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    jutter likes this.
  2. BlueEbenzer

BlueEbenzer TDPRI Member

I do. I own an SG and a basic three eq and volume knobbed 60W amp. I play blues rock and 60s-70s rock with the exception of a few 80s rock songs. The truth is I don't own any pedals but I'm taking this time as an advantage because imo the power of the knob and volumes on a guitar is seriously underrated and underexploited and having no boost pedals etc seem to demand more dynamics from your hand. I'd only ever ask for wah and reverb but otherwise I enjoy playing with my guitar straight into the amp.

jutter likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t consider a compressor to be an effect. I play mostly finger style and a Keeley 4 knob is my only pedal. I’m not a stomper. It sits on top of my Mesa Boogie Express. I use it to even the sounding volume between strings and as a tone shaper to give a little more fullness to my single coil guitars. I play my SG straight into the amp. Same for my Annie. I set my amp to put a little edge on my tone. Not crunch, more playing at the cusp of tube breakup . It’s something I get from my Boogie that I’ve never gotten elsewhere.

I don’t know what I’d use effects pedals for. I see a guy every year at a Scottish festival with an acoustic and a full pedal board. Echo, chorus, compressor, equalizer and more. I don’t get it. All the board does is make a beautiful Martin sound processed.

jwp2 and jutter like this.
  4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

When playing electric, I usually plug straight into my Princeton Reverb. The reverb is usually on at about 2.5 on the dial, if that counts.

jutter and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I do. I have used effects pedals, but I'm just not into it, really. I'm not anti-effects; I just don't have any use for them, and they complicate things, so I generally don't use them. It's guitar, tuner, amp 99 percent of the time. That said, I make heavy use of built-in reverb and tremolo.

The effects boxes I own are: Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter (tap tempo tremolo), treble booster (two types: BBE Bohemian and EXH Screaming Bird), Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, old MXR Phase 90, DOD OD/Pre-Amp 250, and an old Crybaby, plus my ISP Decimator G String noise reducer pedal. Got rid of my Deluxe Memory Man, my new Crybaby, my Hot Tubes, my Q-Tron, and my Wiggler. I miss the Deluxe Memory Man, but I had inherited it, I never used it live (just fooled around at home with it), it was worth a lot, and I needed the cash at the time.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    jutter likes this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

jutter likes this.
  7. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Must be nice playing a pair of classics. Can we see some pictures?

Kriticaster and jutter like this.
  8. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Yes and no. Really just depends on what I'm doing or what amp and guitar I'm using. HO P90's straight into something like a Soldano Decatone just has that something, something that shouldn't be altered.

jutter likes this.
  9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Three amps:
    Princeton Reverb
    Tweed Deluxe
    Vox AC4HW1

Two guitars:
    Tele
    ES335

All kinds of music:
    No Metal
    No Rap

No pedals.

greenhornet and jutter like this.
  10. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

growing up playing metal I never used a single pedal. and when I'm home I'm straight into the amp again after years of falling down the pedal hole. at church I have only a HX Stomp and a Blackstone drive because its a direct situation. I don't fault people for the pedal thing but I think I'm just a simpler man than that.

6String69 and jutter like this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

it made things so simple, chords 5 crunch 7ish & leads dime. Its all on the guitar volume if you set your amp for it. many seemed scared of turning their amps up these days..its where all the mojo is in a good tube amp..if you use tube power as part of the tone equation vs pre gain shape..every amp has that "spot" where it all come s out naturally & to not use it is..is not giving the amp a chance to do what it was designed to in the first place.

jutter likes this.
  12. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

People with amps better than mine

jutter likes this.
  13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

No pedals though I have a pedal board that stays at home in the corner in its case. Pedals bought cheaply overtime are more expensive to replace when immediately needed so I keep a pedal boad around. 35% of the time acoustic otherwise it's this with the Super changed out with a tele when the job requires it.:

super 400 and friend.JPG

24 track, greenhornet and jutter like this.
  14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I mostly use pedals because it works better to use a looper with the tone manipulated in front of the looper rather than behind it, so most of the time, I use a pedal-board. But my Blues Cube Hot sounds so good just on it's own that sometimes I bypass the pedal-board and just play straight through the amp and use it's reverb and gain sounds and just skip the delay and boost. Sometimes I really enjoy that but when I play electric, I spend a lot of time playing with loopers, and I can get basically the same sounds with the pedals that I can just with the amp so usually just using the pedal-board is the easiest way to get to what I want to get to... I'm mostly a man-cave player, but if I was ever gonna take my gear out to go jam with friends or something, I'd probably just take the guitar and amp and a headstock tuner and leave the rest at home... Maybe a footswitch for the amp just to be able to kick in the tone and boost controls...

-Ray

Owenmoney and jutter like this.
  15. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    I'm kinda thinking that effects are the mainstay of the recording studio for artists, that then become necessary when they gig live in order to get the sound they created in the studio!

Lets face it, so many pedals are created to *emulate* some of the cool sounds our guitar heroes produced - but they produced those sounds more often than not, by experimenting (or dicking about) in studios. They commanded such esteem, that manufactures of pedals (and guitars) would customise electronics and whatever for them. I can imagine they would probably send the top stars free stuff to try out - why the heck not?

There's also the fact that many of the effects emulate the real world - such as reverb, echo etc. - in other words, trying to get the effect of playing in a large hall, or heck, in a tiny room or a bathroom - again, messing around in the studio to achieve certain settings.

Perhaps - and I'm out on a limb here - it's an attempt, sometimes, to achieve the sound of a live session in the studio?

I'm not sure, but for myself, whilst I like to mess about with effects in logic pro, I'm generally just playing about with things.
    When it comes to the meat and potatoes, the raw sound I get with a few simple settings is all I need.

jutter likes this.
  16. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

You know you're having a good day when someone named SparkleFart likes your video......

Clifton C and jutter like this.
  17. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I go through stages. About 5 years ago I decided, after listening to a video somebody had taken on their phone, that my rig==and worse than that my sound--was completely wrong for the music I was playing. AFter some experimentation, I decided the amp and the processor had to go.

And I went on a quest.

Started with an Egnater Tweaker 40--set for either a vintage Fender or a Marshall sound depending on material. Just my Tele and the amp. Two channels let me set one relatively clean and one relatively overdriven. It was an improvement over the old sound--which I suspect would have been great in the 80s and early 90s. :)

Maybe a year later I added a T Rex Soulmate, which has a nice OD, Distortion, plus a delay, reverb, and clean boost. Add that to two amp channels, and there were lots of options.

Over time I picked up a couple smaller amps, and now often use just a Tele or a P-90 equipped LP Special into an amp. If the amp doesn't have reverb or trem I might add a pedal to get that. I sometimes bring an MXR Sugar Drive (Klon Clone) for a little extra boost.

For a set that needs a funk sound I'll add an envelope follower.

But my favorite approach, at least if the amp has trem, is straight cord into the amp--getting all the variation out of tone controls, volume controls, and pick attack.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  18. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

sometimes i love just the amp alone(altho some have reverb and tremolo or just reverb) and sometimes i use pedals. depends upon how i feel at that time.

play music!

19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just my Tele plugged directly into either a Twin or Special 130 now. It's just the way I started out playing in 1960, just guitar, cord and amp. It's all I knew. Didn't have pedals back then, or I wasn't aware of them. I have nothing against pedals or those who use them. I would sure use them if I wanted to and/or needed them. I'm still playing old Country music, and play it with what I have.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  20. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I don't own an amp any more (noise issues with family & neighbours) so I play through line 6 software and PC surround sound system, the most (only) effects I use are reverb & delay. I cant play without them. :)

beagle and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.