Who plays the guitar straight through the amp only without effects?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jutter, May 27, 2019.

1. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Take no indirections- one of the basics for good tone!

9245F25F-B747-4819-A71E-2464E378DD50.jpeg

2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

As im typing!

jutter likes this.
  3. sudogeek

sudogeek TDPRI Member

Most of the time it’s my strat straight into the PR or 5E3. But I do play a lot of ‘surf’ instrumentals - covers and originals - so I do use my Fender reverb a fair bit. Does that count as a pedal?

It’s not the classic surf set-up, but I really like the tone of the reverb unit into stereo 5E3s, one a stock 57 Deluxe (well, a bit hot-rodded with the B+ voltage bumped) and the other partially Dumble-ized. So, there’s an ABY pedal there. I guess all that disqualifies me. Never mind.

jutter likes this.
  4. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Usually straight into a nice tube amp. It’s not like a religious thing for me though. I do own and use pedals sometimes too.

[​IMG]

5. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Depends on the space I’m playing in and the style of music. My practice room requires pedals as so can’t really crank my amps much, but in a bigger space I enjoy using my volume knob to control gain.

jutter likes this.
  6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Straight into amp, ii used to play throught wah wah pedal (cry baby )

jutter likes this.
  7. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Me. E780AD27-0522-4C7E-9396-29CA850DC3C2.jpeg

8. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

different types of music require different types of sounds. Pedals have a place for sure. I guess nothing I play seems to need anything. Here's some guitar/amp reverb. Sounds a little woofy in a spot or 2 maybe......

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Always..right guitar into right amp for the application..most my amps don't even have reverb..my studio guy took my board last year...one of the best things to ever happen to my playing..you learn finger technique & vol/tone knob on guitar much more

Telecastoff1, TeleTown and jutter like this.
  10. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I use an SD-1 (drive) mostly out of necessity for when I need gain. Otherwise, completely effect and pedal free (that includes reverb, just never bonded with it).

jutter and blackguts like this.
  11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I agree different types of music have different needs;
    I've deliberately not built a physical pedal board all these years because I feel limiting my choices makes me pay more attention to my playing. That's why i didn't buy a delay pedal until this year, like 2 decades into playing. Also why I've never used the phase shifter in a band. A pedal board of 1 pedal is great. The first time I saw social d, Mike Bess only ran like a ds1. LP->pedal-> his modded ab165 bassman ona Marshall cab.
    For years I tried getting the balance right to get both channels of my 75 good, so I could just run the small clone and the amp. If I had the footswitch, I could probably justify just running my supro alone for some gigs, depending on situation.

Some amps are better suited for a no pedal setup than others. Even without reverb, I could have ran straight into my bassman with my tele and gotten a wide array of sounds with the inputs and controls on the guitar.
    Hats off to folks who can gig with just the amp. Good spot to find, for sure.

jutter likes this.
  12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I usually do with my Mesa Express, but I’d do have a few pedals for a couple of things, I have the Catalinbread SFT and Formula 55 the newest versions, and three joyo pedals,the American sound, the tremolo, and the analog delay,and the TC electronics Ditto looper.
    Usually I just use the guitar straight into the Mesa, but on occasion I like to just hit a button and get the sounds of different amps.
    The Mesa will do those sounds but I’d have to twiddle knobs so the pedals are easier. Set them and forget them, plus on the Mesa I can just flip a couple switches and get about 16 different tones and 3 power levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jutter likes this.
  13. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I do quite often. But I have dozens of pedals that I pull out too. Learn how they can be a catalyst for creativity. At a minimum, you'll be able to nail a certain sound when appropriate. Or you can just be happy that playing the right notes make you feel good.

Flakey and jutter like this.
  14. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

Bad ass little amps

jutter and stefanhotrod like this.
  15. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

I'm actually going through a bit of a learning phase with all this... I feel kind of dumb mentioning things everyone else probably already knew, but oh well. Maybe it'll help someone else.

1. I've been experimenting with the idea of really cranking the amp and backing the volume down on the guitar. This was a recent thread here on TDPRI and it's made a significant difference in tone for me. Thread: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/guitar-volume-vs-amp-volume.947879/

2. I'm playing through a Fender Super Champ X2 (REALLY GASsing for an AC10 or AC4-12, but that's another story). Anyway, I used to run pedals into it, even when using the modeled amp settings. For the last month I haven't used any pedals, and juse used the amp's own reverb. The results have been great.

Pedals - I have a board full of pedals, and then I also have a Digitech RP500. I keep discovering more and more groovy things with the RP500. Neither have been plugged into the amp in the last month. I use the RP500 into a mixer into a PA at band rehearsal, and it's amazing there. I also use it for silent playing with backing tracks/headphones. My "real" pedalboard hasn't been out of the bag in weeks.

bftfender and jutter like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Does this never get tiresome?

I'm not sure which is bigger - infinity, or the number of threads on this topic.

Should we just declare those who don't use pedals superior, concede they have superior toanz, and move on already?

17. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    I still mainly play acoustic, despite recently getting a tele. Probably about 70% acoustic / 30% tele on any given day.

As for pedals, been a while since I owned any, but I'm thinking of getting a cheap multi-fx pedal just for the kicks of it.
    I can't be dealing with that whole purist vibe or the complication of wiring up multiple fx pedals.

Sometimes I'll mic up my Marshall into Logic Pro and do fx there.

jutter and Rustbucket like this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

At jams, I usually go straight guitar into a DR or Pro Jr.

jutter likes this.
  19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

no.

greenhornet and jutter like this.
  20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

y'all are playing electric guitar. embrace it. if i'm not using pedals i'm playing carter style on my acoustic, which doesn't have a pickup in it.

jutter and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.