1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who plays music with their daughters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TelZilla, Aug 1, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

So I have two daughters, 13 and 17, who are both good singers with a relatively broad musical taste (partly due to their music nerd dad). I'm not terrible meself.

I would love to play some music with them. Anybody have good suggestions for good stuff with interesting stuff for three voices and a single guitar? Have you tried this with success with your children?

Or should I just get the drummer son and go straight for golden age Led Zep? Man they could sing the hell out of this:

2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Mainly because I was just listening to them this morning, but the Staves are awesome. Three female vocal trio, one plays guitar and mandolin very well. Wonderful harmonies and songwriting.

RiverDog likes this.
  3. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Hmm. Never heard of them. I will check them out.

4. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Maybe when they grow up

5. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Just posted this in Jerry Garcia birthday thread. She and I

TelZilla likes this.
  6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Delightful. That young lady has a pure voice fer sure. Get her doing some Linda Ronstadt.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

They are awesome. Their first album is more (though certainly not entirely) traditionally folk. Second is much more contemporary. They recorded that one with Justin Vernon and he sings backing on at least a track or two, so there’s even a male voice.

I also like Moonrise Nation. More pop/rock and roll. My daughters are 2 and 4. We do the guitar plus... “percussion” thing pretty well. And dancing. The 2 year old plays a mean harmonica and the oldest dances and strums the daylights out of a uke in open C. Good fun.

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I am actually playing with my oldest at rehearsal today. She will be our stand in on drums since our drummer had a conflict and I will play bass. It should be fun!

9. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

What's on the setlist?

10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

It is our church set rehearsal
    Glorious Day by Kristian Standfill
    For the Cross by Bethel
    Resurecting by Aaron Shust
    Build My Life by Amanda Cook
    To Honor You by Oaks Worship

But I might be able to convince her to play a little funk or CCR during our down time... :)

11. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

We had a family Gospel bluegrass band when my daughter's lived at home. It was awesome. Then they married and moved away. Miss those days.

12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Interesting question, I'm 65 and have never played music with my daughters. I mean I play music with my son. In fact I do nothing with my daughters because I don't have daughters

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

My former stepdaughter was very musical and could play just about any instrument. Self taught on recorder, AWESOME on trumpet, keyboard, mariachi bass (I don't know how to spell guijulla) and guitar. She found my old Kay mandolin and took it to her bedroom for a few weeks.
    We had big plans of unveiling our deut at a local jam night with this song but divorce kinda poisoned everything.
    Musicbox Dancer. For those who might not remember I'll post the video except you gotta imagine a 12 string (me) and the mandolin (her).
    I was the weak link on this one.
    I still think it would be a great combination so if any of y'all do it please send me a copy.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Quebe Sisters

I wish...

My daughter is a Suzuki violist and violinist who dabbles in guitar and sings.

15. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

My oldest daughter and I were an instrumental duo called Paper Moon for a couple of years when she was in her teens. We gigged @ cafes, bars, community festivals. I played guitars and she played tin/penny whistles, flute, Irish flute, various wooden recorders, fiddle, the Highland Pipes (strictly solo on the big pipes). Lots of Scottish and Irish folks songs, swing era standards, some classical pieces. Then she went off to college.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    ndcaster and RodeoTex like this.
  16. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Not necessarily 3 voices but my youngest daughter and I were working out a couple songs by The Civil Wars for a while. They had some amazing harmonies.

Like a couple of other dads above, she moved out about 8 months ago and will be married next year. I sure do miss singing with her. Mostly I miss hearing her playing her acoustic and singing down the hall in her bedroom. She has the voice of an angel.

Bellacaster and RodeoTex like this.
  17. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

You really took us on a journey there.

ndcaster likes this.
  18. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

My little sisters did Suzuki in thye mid 70's "Ichi, nee, san, chi"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.