1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who Plays in a Non-Traditional Music Ensemble?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm reading a book called "Electric Eden" mostly about the English Folk-Rock scene of the late '60's early '70's. It got me wondering a if anyone still played unusual music. I think it's safe to say that most of us play rock/blues/country/folk/Americana/R&B/funk or something close. But who plays jazz-raga-folk, or Middle Eastern/African/Gamalan fusion, or ?

Tell us about your band, a little history and anything else that's important. Post a link to your band and a video if you got one.

I used to play in an original World Fusion band called "Tuatha." We incorporated music from all over the planet into original lyrics and soundscapes. We recorded two CD's (I was only on the first). No videos that I know of unfortunately. The old website is still up, www.tuatha.net.

Edit: I found some video:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    gpasq likes this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

sure, why not

check out this groove, stay with it for a minute until everyone comes in

ever hear of Steve Tibbetts? love this album, "Yr," though someone appears to have deleted "Sphexes," one of the best cuts

3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I do classic rock in one of my groups but with non-traditional instrumentation.

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I play in a psychedelic / folk lounge band called "Bric-a-Brac."

We're based in Chicago. If you Google us though, apparently there is a UK folk band of the same name.

Our style is very much like the exotica records, big group, a nine-piece with keys, vibes, drums, 4 singers two guitars, percussionist. We do pretty cool material, very epic sounding....Henry Mancini etc.

Here's a sample:

5. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the Ukulele Orchestra of Washington. And a tenor guitar ensemble.

From a tenor rehearsal:

6. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

I play non-traditional music in my basement. I am a HUGE ECM label fan, and the kinds of music on that label has a range second to no other in the history of record labels, and with a majority of music that defies easy categorization. The ensembles and instrumentation featured also have range second to no other label.

I'm still looking for people who want to play jazz without the default swing, new age with more complex harmonies and textures, the contemporary classical minus the baroque instrumentation and traditional harmonies, the chamber music with drums, percussion and electric instruments, the folk music that sits as well in the concert hall as it does on the back porch.

I have yet to find any local ensemble of any genre that I would consider as "non-traditional". Local musicians always seem to be looking to join or start a gigging (but more importantly, PAYING) group or explicitly commercial venture, and aren't focused as much on the artistic aspects. The "who's paying, and which places are paying?" is the tail that wags the dog here. :/

My latest find on the ECM label is: Christian Wallumrod Ensemble: The Zoo Is Far.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Zither, glockenspiel and acoustics with an occasional theremin.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Our group recently broke up that contained recorders, a baritone recorder, hammer dulcimer and an occasional mountain dulcimer along with a brodhran for rhythm. Playing assorted irish folk/folk stuff. I good challenge for me to learn odd tunings and timings. Really not my thing, but sure as heck sharpened my skill set.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Did Gamelan for a semester back in school, twas badass.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Tell Marcy I said "howdy!" I knew her back when I lived in Charlottesville and keep in touch on FB.

I also played in a Celtic band called "Lalla Rookh." We did three CD's and played a lot of festivals.

11. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

Paul, I will pass that along. Marcy seems to know everybody!

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Where do you draw the line for 'Non-traditional'?

IF it means Music that isn't being bought because somebody knows they can't sell it for a profit, that would be me, for my entire 'career'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.