Who on earth would ship a guitar like this. Soon to be returned NGD :(

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I had a Firebird and it neck dived and was as big as a bass guitar on stage-- very unwieldy. Try it on for size
before you return it. Maybe your GAS for a Firebird will dissipate once you see how dang big it is.

I've had 3 of them, sold 'em all. Very cool guitar, but I can't put one on without knocking something over.

- D

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I'd send it back too. Also, I see no reason why they can't just do an exchange and send you another one.

Apparently there is a 10-12 week delay everywhere. This was the only store with one in stock sadly. Had another look around this evening and it seems I'm in for a long wait.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Firebird and it neck dived and was as big as a bass guitar on stage-- very unwieldy. Try it on for size
before you return it. Maybe your GAS for a Firebird will dissipate once you see how dang big it is.

I had a quick try - it seemed ok. I am used to playing a 335 as my main guitar, so apart from the headstock, I didn't find it too unwieldy I think. I did like the sound of the pickups too, although this example was set up appalingly, borderline unplayable due to a terrible action/string height and nut. It's almost put me off trying another.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I was just looking at your picture of the finish crack again. Take a step back and look at the area surrounding that crack. There is like a 2-3 square inch area that is discolored and with a different grain pattern. To me, it almost looks like there is a knot directly under that crack. I am beginning to think it had nothing to do with shipping, but rather a bad neck blank. Epiphone can add it to their "Wall of Shame" of instruments that should never have shipped.

2022-11-30_18h03_56.jpg

Last edited:

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This is why I always buy my guitars from a shop and retrieve them in person. That's THE way to make sure they'll arrive intact.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
I have seen a lot of really bad packing jobs this season. Far greater than any year prior for some reason. Amazon, for example, doesn't seem to like taping flaps with anything more than a single narrow strip of tape. Never holds up and I end up re-taping it myself before delivery.

Then there was this guy.....good grief.

Attachments

• serena plus 006.jpg
    serena plus 006.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 49

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
No way would I keep it, for any discount.

You were probably sent that guitar after it had already been opened and then returned.
This is exactly what I thought. Eventually they will ship it to someone who will accept their discount offer. Not me, no way in hell. I'd be cussing them out on the phone while standing at the shipping counter waiting to ship it back. Make sure they understand how pissed you are and how stupid they were to bother sending it out in the first place.

However...... @marc2211 why do you have to return the case? If you are intent on buying a Firebird one way or another, wouldn't the case you bought separately fit any Epiphone Firebird you end up buying?

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
Return it! 10 days waiting for a replacement is well worth the alternative of countless days of grief that you would most likely experience accepting a discount.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Well, it’s packed up ready to go. I am pretty sure I’d like a good one, so will keep the case. Thanks for the support everyone!

Sadly the wait for another one is 10-12 weeks, not days at the moment, so it’ll be a delayed NGD for next spring!

Still pretty sore about this one.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
So, as an early Xmas present, I bought a new Epiphone Firebird last week from a well known online retailer (Not Thomann as they were out of stock). The guitar turned up today...

View attachment 1056438

You may see something wrong here... to add further detail, there were no packing materials within, only the Epiphone box which wasn't sealed shut before shipping, and 2 small peices of crumpled up paper...

View attachment 1056439

Result? On opening the outer box, the Epiphone box inside hadn't been sealed, and the guitar was just floating around... On inspection, no surprises, a nice lacquer crack in the back of the neck. My guess is that it took a hit or flexed enough to bend and crack/crease the lacquer. If you run your finger across it, it's really noticeble:

View attachment 1056436

I am going away and can't send it back before next Tuesday. Would you keep it if given a discount? I opted for no.

As you can imagine, chez marc2211 is subject to a good selection of choice expletives at the moment. The Firebirds are out of stock for 10-12 weeks everywhere, so I have asked for a refund. I already bought a decent case for the now to be returned Firebird elsewhere, so that'll have to go back too! :(

Apparently refunding can take 10+ days too. Not fun, especially for the time of year.

/sigh
You're still aiming for a Firebird as soon as they're in stock, right?
If so, then keep the case! If the case is ok, then why dump it?
It'll just have to wait for its inhabitant for a while longer.

EDIT: ... aaand I just saw that you decided to do just that. 🙃

P.S.
Get yourself a rebound guitar from Thomann in the meantime. Just to tide you over, like.

Something like this thing for instance.

Last edited: