1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who most influenced your musical preferences?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cali Dude, Apr 5, 2021.

1. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I couldn't pick one, there are many but I always liked Robin Trower.

2. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

So when I was in high school--this would have been around 1985 or so--I was flipping channels and paused at 60 Minutes or 20/20 or one of those news magazine shows. They had a segment about Bob Dylan coming up, and my dad looked up and said "You should watch this. Bob Dylan is someone you ought to know about."

Now my dad is a Republican businessman, he was a "straight" in college in the 1960s (he had been accepted to the Naval Academy but had back problems that kept him from passing the physical) so that made my ears perk up. I watched the segment, then a couple of days later asked my friend Bill to lend me one of his Dylan records. And the rest is history.

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

All I ever needed was in my Mom’s 45 collection. Everything else just got me into trouble.

TigerG and Cali Dude like this.
  4. rewind

rewind Tele-Meister

It was my dad's love for symphonies and opera that had me going. I still occasionally listen to them but not for the music content as much as the memories of my childhood sitting with him listening to the 1812 Overture with his one big speaker he built. This, on a Sunday morning to greet the neighbors.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

My dad taught me how to pick bluegrass and country acoustic guitar. 50 years later still picking bluegrass and country acoustic guitar.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

WXRT in Chicago... "Chicago's finest rock." Before that (junior year in high school, 1983), I was into top 40 whatever.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Initially my parents, my father had a love of the blues, but not much in the way of records. My mother always had the UK pirate stations on the radio in the 60s, so a lot came from there too.

But most of the big influences came from my friend Martin, or rather his family. He had a father who did have a big blues record collection, and a huge stereo that he played them on, so we worshipped at the alter of the blues there, hearing all the greats for the first time. He also played us cool stuff like James Brown, Sly Stone, Marvin Gaye, Booker T & The MGs, etc.

The same friend's older brother (he would have been 19 when we were 12) introduced us (or, more accurately, left his records laying around in the families 'music room' so we could play them) to all manner of things rock, I remember discovering Wishbone Ash, Trapeze, Humble Pie, Zeppelin, Purple, Hendrix, Johnny Winter, ZZ Top, Budgie, ...the list is endless...

Also, I forgot to mention Radio 1 djs John Peel and Alan Freeman and David (Kid) Jensen on Radio Luxembourg

From there we found our own path... :cool:

So huge thanks to my parents, and the Davidson family. Sadly, I have outlived all of them. :(

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Cali Dude likes this.
  8. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I did not grow up in a musical house at all. I've fixed that in my kid's lives

For me it was what they used to call "alternative rock" radio in Philly and then university stations--WXPN and WRTI from penn and temple.

In the early-mid 70s FM rock radio was kind of a miracle. They played all sorts of stuff--whole album sides. Classical music, John Coltrane, progressive rock, ragtime guitar pickers, Leon redbone, southern rock, beefheart and Zappa--I just remember it was amazing when I was in middle school and then by the late 70s you could hear the playlists getting tighter and tighter.

Radio and music mags and friends

TigerG and Cali Dude like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I was only allowed to hear (or play on the piano) religious and classical music when I was kid. But, while I wasn't allowed to watch many shows on TV, I was able to watch Hee Haw from time to time.

And maybe Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour

And I would listen to WWL AM radio out of New Orleans when I went to bed (quietly).

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

1. Jimmy Page
    2. SRV
    3. Clapton
    4. Billy Gibbons
    5. Slash
    My first and second selections are solid-firm. The order of the next three are undecided.

Cali Dude likes this.
  11. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I started out listening to my dad’s music— I remember a lot of Billy Joel, the Doors, and Cream, but also random stuff like Clint Black and Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. My mom only liked the Beatles and nothing else.

The most influential though are two friends from high school that got me off grunge and into other stuff. One was really into the Stones, classic rock radio, and oldies. The other was big into Delta blues, country blues, and ragtime.

I actually got into Bob Dylan via the Wallflowers and that opened up an entire musical universe as well!

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Neighborhood friends were Aerosmith and Foghat, one brother doing Hendrix and smack after ‘Nam, the other giving me disco and funk. Late ‘70s McLaughlin from my high-school-state-jazz-guitarist friend and Talking Heads from my first college roommate. I play in a ‘70s funk-cover band and a ‘90s grunge-cover band ... what was the question again?

Cali Dude likes this.
  13. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

When I was young, my parents got us kids a record player. They arranged it with my aunt, who was in university at the time and not a lot of money to spare. My aunt gave us her old 45s. Beatles, Beach Boys, Yardbirds, Rolling Stones and some early 70s pop, novelty and one hit wonders.
    I'm not sure how she felt giving us a stack of old 45s but it might have been the best gift you could give a kid and one of the best gifts I ever received.
    That and my mother's collection of LPs of Johnny Cash, Elvis and various "country's greatest hits"-type records.
    Later was my sister's albums when she brought back from college, Supertramp, Rush 2112, some Ktel stuff and some Dr Hook that I knew shouldn't be played when mom and dad were in the house (although the lyrics went somehow over her head and she grew to like them).

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

The guitar playing camp counselors from the summer camp I went to as a kid made me want to play guitar. The guitar players that inspired me to "Go For It" were Randy Bachman (Let It Ride), Ritchie Blackmore (Smoke On The Water - Made In Japan) and Tony Iommi period. While my guitar gods have expanded since (Richie Kotzen is my latest!), Randy, Ritchie, and Tony will always be at the top. Cheers!

Cali Dude likes this.
  15. horsespatoot

horsespatoot Tele-Holic

In the early 1950’s my father was an audiophile before there was such a thing. It was early in his career as an engineer for Stromberg Carlson. Built his own home stereo system when monophonic was still the rage and Stereo was in its infancy. Used two separate Stromberg Amps and Stromberg speakers in dual home made cabinets. He played his records loud and often. I got both the music and electronics bug from him.
    I think back now on some of those Stromberg tube amps and wish I had a couple today.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.