1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who modded my Boss Super Overdrive Pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mistermullens, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

So here's the story. I was in need of an OD pedal, even though it won't get used that much. I was having a little trouble selling my EHX Pulsar, and so a guy offered me a "like new" SD-1. Even though it was a bit of mismatch value-wise, I thought I'd give it a shot. Quick swap, and I am now the owner of an SD-1.

Once I plugged it in, and kicked it on, I was blinded by an bright blue LED. I knew right away that this pedal had been modded and was not stock as I was told. I emailed the guy I got it from, and he said he wasn't aware of any mods. I asked him about where he got it, but he wouldn't say and/or didn't know anything else about the pedal. So, I went back to the pedal.

There were no obvious signs of mods, like a sticker of the company that modded the pedal, however the Boss sticker was off the bottom of the pedal. It was included in the box along with the manual and standard Boss advertisements. I did discover, on the outside of the box, a price tag from IRC Music in Indianapolis. The price was $97.50. Another clue that this pedal was modded since they sell for $50 new. I called IRC, and they said they don't sell modded Boss pedals unless they get them used. They also don't use a computer for their inventory, so there's no way to look it up.

So, I'm back to square one. I know it's not a Keeley mod as there are no additional switches on the pedal. It also looks perfectly stock except for the LED.

Here's a pic of the guts. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Files:

2. ovaltinejenkins

ovaltinejenkins TDPRI Member

It wasn't me!

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The PCB looks bone stock. Not even C6 was snipped.

I see no metal film resistors (usually blue, and very common with mods). I see no carbon comp resistors (also somewhat common with some mods). The trio of clipping diodes are stock.

All of the silver'ish stock Boss film capacitors haven't been swapped out - there are no Panasonic "gumdrop" or "premium box film" caps. The black canister-type electrolytic caps are also stock - typically mods will have those replaced with film types (either box or Panasonic'ish film caps) of the same value.

I see no evidence of a "2X gain mod," or a "808 brown mod."

Not even the stock 3.9K current-limiting resistor for the LED was changed to keep the replacement LED from being so blinding.

There's no chip socket, so the chip should be factory stock, too. I think I see the "DD" on it that makes it a little quieter than a "single D" 4558, and I see what looks like the chip was marked with something - I tend to see that on ALL factory stock chips in the SD-1s.

The "gorilla snot" looks to mostly be in place, too. That stuff has to be really dug out to get some of the caps and resistors out.

So it looks like the only mod was to put that blinding LED in, if you want to consider that to be a mod... :lol:

As to the price on the pedal, I've seen stuff grossly overpriced at some stores. Or maybe it was a stupid joke - some employee said they'd put a blinding blue LED in it like the Keeley-modded SD-1s have, and do nothing else except for hike up the price. Maybe they wanted to see if someone would think it sounded better because the LED had been replaced? Sounds far-fetched, but who knows?

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

So how's it sound?

5. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds good. Haven't really dug in with it yet. I'm hoping to use it with my acoustic guitar, but we'll see. I felt like I should have an OD pedal if I come across a situation where I'm not playing my normal amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.