Who makes money making music on the forum ?

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
In 20 something years, i have never made any money. Maybe 2 or 3 times i got 50 euros, but usually the money gets back into making records or the gas tank. I am not a SACEM member or anything, though a few tunes i wrote were played on local radio.

And not long ago, i noticed bands, or at least bands i play with got paid less. I remember 15 years ago we would get paid 300 euros, and then it vanished. If i help sell beer, i would like to get paid. But nowadays, it is 150 euros on a good day.
I used to until the Pandemic hit.
I still have my Jam Band Gig one night a Month.
It pays but, not very much.
Hoping things pick up.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
If you want to make money and you can suffer it,the wedding/corporate scene is what pays here. I'm out of it a few years now,but it was essentially money for old rope. The unsociable hours don't work well with a day job as you get older and I just got tired of it eventually.

I make a minuscule amount of money from recorded music using the usual infamously parsimonious outlets,but I don't do it for the money anyway.
Great vocabulary. Infamously parsimonious

Skub

Poster Extraordinaire
I make a, uh, less than extravagant living playing guitar and bass with local dance bands.
It’s been my pleasure/addiction since I was a teenager.
I still love it, and intend to do it as long as I can.
The phone still rings, and the fingers still work.
Wish me luck!
I do most certainly wish you luck William. :cool:

On Saturday past I had occasion to talk with a chap who grew up on the local scene around the same time as myself. I had booked his band to play at a memorial do for my late brother in law. He sings and plays better than he ever did,but in his own words,"My voice may have lasted,but the rest of me is falling apart". Diabetes and the usual musician bad lifestyle choices have joined forces to make him a wreck.
I asked him if he planned to keep going until he drops,and he replied,"I have to".

It kinda made me both happy and sad for him.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Since I'm sitting at the dining room table doing our taxes, I did some quick math...

I made $274.76 off Bandcamp sales last year. That's my only music income. Don't play live anymore.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I do most certainly wish you luck William. :cool:

On Saturday past I had occasion to talk with a chap who grew up on the local scene around the same time as myself. I had booked his band to play at a memorial do for my late brother in law. He sings and plays better than he ever did,but in his own words,"My voice may have lasted,but the rest of me is falling apart". Diabetes and the usual musician bad lifestyle choices have joined forces to make him a wreck.
I asked him if he planned to keep going until he drops,and he replied,"I have to".

It kinda made me both happy and sad for him.
I’ll “have to” play till I drop, too, BUT, for better or worse, I am defined by what I do
For me, time stands still when I play, in a good way.
I don’t think about “the bad stuff”.
I’m not a tired old man when I’m playing music.
I only think about playing my best.
I’m simple, perhaps simplistic.
Because playing is what I do best (IMO), as long as I’m doing it, I feel like I’m being my best self.
I may be delusional, but it’s still fun, and somewhat mentally challenging.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My sunday morning gig pays two benjis.
I assume you play in church.
I came across a guy who gigs all over his state, but he ALWAYS gets home by Sunday morning because his church gig is his bread and butter.
Times have changed.
The big churches pay legit coin.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
More miles than money, honestly. But when the money comes it is appreciated. It takes a lot of hard work, and the amount of money is not often reciprocated. Some of it is playing music, teaching music, or selling services and instruments or equipment. Can’t underscore how important professionalism and networking are in a business that is largely by referral. “Hey I know a guy who can do that gig with/for us…” etc. Good luck! It’s hard out there.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
The money is a token, of the amount of work involved, in creating and running a musical ensemble.
Token, is the operative word. The investment, in equipment, travel, rehearsal and overall commitment, is seldom compensated accurately. £50 per person, for three hours' work, in a distant town, isn't padding anyone's retirement pot......

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I came across a guy who gigs all over his state, but he ALWAYS gets home by Sunday morning because his church gig is his bread and butter.
Times have changed.
I haven't got paid to play since the 90s but I often spend money to play music after reading stuff on this forum! Like "oh yea, I need one of those".:)

Doctor of Teleocity
F4FF4491-C65F-43FF-8B10-3F729E7F5305.jpeg

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
Times have changed.

Indeed. It's a familiar set up for a lot of the church players I know. However, this is my only music related gig as my main source of income is another field entirely.

Funny thing is when the wife & I first started attending, I volunteered my talents not expecting anything in return. They insisted since all the players in the worship team are working professionals and they want to respect their livelihoods. Doing so brings a level of quality to the experience & helps make a bigger impact on those new or looking to return to a church. That said, I'm most definitely the weakest link LOL

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, enough to break even on expenses, nowhere near a living, for our classic rock cover band. In the cities around here at breweries and nicer bars we tend to get about $100 or a bit more per member plus tips, often free beer. It's good to be paid, I think, to feel some responsibility on both sides, and shows that it's worth something. But, this is for about 5 or more hours of work for each of us per gig, including load in & out (our PA etc.), and playing for 2.5 or 3 hours. It can make for pretty late and tiring nights. (We joke it's our bands health plan.) Playing venues with a house PA and sound person is rare for us, but is so much better.

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Man! I’m rolling in dough from my music. So far this year I’ve already earned $15.00 on Bandcamp, and I’ve almost earned my first penny on Spotify. This music business is awesome. Easy money, baby!