Who makes a solid brass vintage tele bridge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Boogie, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

Not a steel bridge with brass saddles, I want a direct-replacement 3-saddle bridge with an actual solid brass plate. I don't care if it's chrome or nickel plated, but gold plated steel will not do. I want to hear the tonal difference for myself. I would like to buy the Killer Guitar Components bridge, but they're out of stock and it doesn't look like they're going to produce another run of them until after they redesign it. I'd also prefer not to buy the Chinese one from ebay.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Alibaba AFAIK.
    Or vintage.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Fender used to make these......;)

brass 6 saddle tele Bridge.jpg

Crobbins and That Cal Webway like this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

www.armadilloguitar.com

Solid brass and vintage style.

Probably the best I've seen. You're gonna pay for it though.

5. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Glad to help.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone who lived through the 80s craze for brass nuts, knobs, trem plates, Strat bridges and Schechter mix'n'match would loudly scream 'nooooooo......'

There's a reason like electronic drums we consigned it to oblivion. Every time I hear Dancing In The Dark I almost hate Brooce just for that electric snare....

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Is it just for aesthetics?
    I have one on a tele that my father put on In the 80s and it’s only staying because of sentimental reasons

But yea vintage is one way to go there are certainly a lot out there
    Not knocking it if you want one you want one the spice of life

9. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here you go.
    F4E86FB9-4837-4A65-8D67-C415D484EC26.jpeg

No experience, but I too really like solid brass hardware.
    I have an armadillo bridge that is top notch. You definitely get what you pay for there. It may be hard to swallow $100 for a bridge, but a year from now it won’t matter and you will have what you want the first time.

Crobbins and SPUDCASTER like this.
  10. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe TDPRI Member

Muddy Waters' tele had a brass bridge, it's visible also in some videos of his concerts, like here (1978). @Boogie, I'm very curious to hear from you after you swap the bridge!

Boogie likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I guess you're going to have to hear one with the brass plate, to establish a base line for what it could or should sound like. The brass plate really does emphasize the mid range and tones down the punchy lows and keening highs of the skinny steel plate.

You know, those American Series plates are brass. Or yellow pot metal. Crummy brass. The one thing all these brass plates have in common is they're thick. And they weigh a lot. That Gotoh GTC-202 weighs a full 8 ounces.

For the sound of a brass plate but not the weight, you might check this out:

upload_2019-12-17_12-27-8.jpeg Titanium sounds eerily similar IMO to brass, but is shockingly lighter in weight.

SPUDCASTER and Crobbins like this.
  12. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

gotoh make brass plates chrome plated though

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This is a bridge I bought from Mighty Mite years ago.

[​IMG]

jimmyjoe, NicDo, lineboat and 3 others like this.
  14. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Gotoh bridge plates are brass. The "titanium" referred to in the spiel for In-Tune bridges is the option of titanium saddles.

For a brass plate that is made the way normal vintage plates are and not milled from brass billet look for a Mighty Mite MM1135 bridge. They were available in gold, black, chrome and raw brass finishes. Mighty Mite stopped making hardware a while ago but you might be able to find a used one.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thank you for this most helpful post. This of course, means this Gotoh product weighs something around seven ounces and that's almost always too much for me. I don't know what happened to these manufacturer websites. They used to contain better information.

16. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

So I bought the Armadillo brass plate https://www.armadilloguitar.com/product/vintage-style-bridge-plate/

It's like the one pictured but with the rails untrimmed like a standard vintage bridge. Only the plate was included; I used the saddles I had installed on the original Fender plate, they are Killer Guitar Components compensated brass saddles.

Getting the intonation right has been more of a fight with this bridge, more so than the same set of saddles on the stock bridge, and even with the original, uncompensated saddles on the stock bridge.

It does seem to have a bit more midrange punch and a bit more sustain on the low E, A, D and G strings, but any difference is so subtle that it's not really significant. It could be part placebo and also because I've fitted new strings.

One thing I'm pretty certain about is a loss of sustain on the high E and B strings. Also I don't think the saddle screw holes line up with the string holes properly on any of the strings and there's a visibly noticeable angle from where the string exits the string hole on its way to the saddle. I was able to slide the saddles to where the strings appear lined up, but they work their way back when I play.

I think I'm going back to the stock bridge for now. I'd like to try the Killer Guitar Components brass bridge, but still can't order the newly redesigned model; their site says "new run of Tele bridges coming in Fall 2019" as of today, they've officially missed that date. Being that this isn't my main gigging axe, I think I'll wait until I can order the KGC bridge and if I don't like that one, maybe I'll give up or try one of the 6-saddle bridges.

jimmyjoe, NicDo and boris bubbanov like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.