Who makes a good mid-level short scale bass???

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by E5RSY, Jul 5, 2017.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Short $$, killer sound (sidewinder humbucker- takes grit well, surprisingly) look at the Epiphone E-B0. 30" scale and around 200$us or less. Yay [emoji4]
    I have 34" EB-3 Epi. Love it!!

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Telecaster88 and TequilaCaster like this.
  3. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

There are 32" scale basses as well. Look at Ebay / Aria Pro 2 basses. for nice cheap basses.

elihu likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife the bass player, loves her Gretsch Junior Jet as her all time favorite. Hers is the one with one pup that is not made any longer, but I think she wished she had the two pup G2220. Quality wise, the next jump up from the Bronco IMO. I traded an amp to her for her Epi Allen Woody, which was too heavy for her, but I love the sound and I'm a big Gov't Mule fan. It is a Custon Shop only bass and is a huge upgrade in quality over basses I've played in the under $500 category. Not as versatile because of the pup locations though. Personally, from what you have described, you may want to look at the EB-0. If I ever got another bass that would be the one for me.

5. Obsessed

Oh, the Viola basses ... suck in every way imaginable IMHO.

soulman969 and E5RSY like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I picked up a Washburn XB-100 for $40 and converted it from a P to JPJ with a Strat 5-way; the neck J is up by the neck for really low lows. Later I got another for $35 that I cleaned up and gave to a friend for his son. The Rogues are good, older Yamaha is great.

7. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got the Squire Jaguar bass, highly, highly recommend it. I have some flatwounds to put on but haven't done so yet.

howardlo likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I kinda like the Epiphone Allen Woody signature basses.
    I like the look, and the light weight.
    I've only played a couple, and I haven't gigged with one.
    I see them on CL and around the shops (used) for $300-ish.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I hear you. I'm kinda going back-and-forth on that one. Looks cool, but the pickup arrangement just doesn't make much sense to me. I haven't played one yet so I need to reserve final judgement.

Scott

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You could get one, and put another mini humbucker (or something) closer to the bridge, maybe add a three way toggle switch, or (just) another volume pot.

11. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Reverend makes a short scale bass. I believe it is the Mike Watt model, not sure though.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Squier Jaguar SS. It's a fixer upper though - crappy pickups and not-so-road-worthy hardware. The neck is fantastic though. I did play a SS MIM Mustang Bronco a while back at my local GC. Very nice, ready to gig, maple neck too. I think it listed for $599. Gave me serious GAS.

13. Obsessed

Yeah, it would be nice to have a little more flexibility with the Allen Woody. Definitely has that thump or more thump. It is more of a retro sound like the violin basses except deeper and fuller.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's just a force of habit for me brother. I've been playing Fender basses almost since day one of my career so they just fit me. Since I traditionally do a lot of vocals if I'm playing a P or J Bass I never have to think about what I'm playing or look at the neck. I'm on autopilot as far as playing goes and both my current basses are less than 10lbs.

For a 5 string I really want a 35" scale bass and I had a gorgeous Modulus M92 that I wish I'd never sold. But it did mess me up a bit when I had a lot of vocals to do so I ended up playing my Jazz Bass far more often and in a moment of weakness sold it. Now I wish I had it back.

I think if I ever do a sit down unplugged gig I may use and acoustic or short scale bass but that would be about it. Otherwise I'd just keeping playing my Fender basses as I do my Teles. It's what my hands and my brain are accustomed to and I prefer not to change if I don't have to.

15. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Resurrecting this thread -- my arthritis has made big stretches tough and painful, so over the past little while I've acquired a couple of short scale instruments.

The first, that I've had a year or so now, is an Ibanez semi-acoustic short-scale 5-string, which is marvelous. I've had nothing but compliments on its sound, and like it a lot. Fit and finish were fine, sound is good, fretting is good.

I also bought an Ibanez Mikro 5-string a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not quite sure about it yet (mostly for psychological reasons...). The purchase (by way of eBay) was WAY tougher than it ought to have been, thanks to poor choice of shipper by the seller, and dumb policies by the seller on shipping, plus I lost my job on the day the bass was delivered :( so I haven't given it a real fair shake. It's okay, but it's definitely a budget instrument; a quick round of replacing the pots and jack will, I think, make it better.

16. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"Reverend makes a short scale bass. I believe it is the Mike Watt model, not sure though."

They make that one and another one, called the Dub King (on the right in my avatar, next to an MIJ Fender Mustang), but both cost more new than he says he wants to spend. I have seen Dub Kings in the $600-$700 range used, though.

If you're willing to up the ante a bit, I'd check out the Guild Newark Street Starfire re-issues (semi-hollow). I'm really in love with mine. The Bi-Sonic pickups kick ass and have pole pieces that adjust individually for height. The necks are narrow and very comfortable, IMO. They require medium-scale strings because the distance between the bridge saddles and string anchor points is greater than many other SS basses. Same is true for Mustangs (except the PJ) because of the string-through bridge.

elihu likes this.
  17. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Tagging onto this thread way after the fact.

EBMM short scale stingray,
    The Sterling one is $550 new. I'd love to try one, looks awesome.

18. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Fender/Squier Mustang of jaguar basses
    Epiphone SG bass

19. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

For short scale it's tough to beat a Mustang.

howardlo likes this.
  20. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Where'd you find one for that price? They're more like $1000 or so - at least the one's I've seen.

32" is medium scale FWIW. Long scale = 34" and longer. Medium scale ~ 32-33". Short scales are generally 30.5" and shorter . . .

It's like $1500!!! BTW.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.