Who makes a good attenuator for guiar amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BluezyBruce, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

No, I was teaming with some PNNL engineers on a DOD project for a couple of years and would get out there several times a year for design reviews and so forth. It is one of the all time coolest electronics shops! And Bernie has some cool stories too.

2. Morphman

Morphman TDPRI Member

I just compared a recording of my Marshall class 5 with and without my Weber Mass.

You can hear a difference. The Weber tone was not as bright and spikey. I actually preferred the sound with the Weber Mass 50. The difference would probably not even be audible to a non musician. The fact that it effects the sound slightly does not bother me. I look at an attenuator as another piece of gear that will effect the sound.

The difference between the sounds that I recorded are nonexistent compared to say the differences between speakers so it's a little strange to me when people say attenuators effect the sound too much. They don't effect the sound nearly as much as your big muff distortion box, and delay peddle and chorus and octopus and on and on does.

3. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Ive never needed to use my mini mass with my class 5, but I will try it.
    When I was still in an apartment I ran the speaker into the headphone out to cut the output to around .5 watts.

4. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

Anyone ever tried building one of the resistive types?

5. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Yes I built one a few weeks ago to use on my JCM800.
    It is easy and fun!
    I leave it on 3 and add a little PPIMV too - result is a 50w living room amp:p

I didn't build the rheostat version as I have the PPIMV.

Try it, it's like the Brake Lite but MUCH cheaper:p

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8733

6. BluezyBruce

BluezyBruce Tele-Holic

I am using a hand wired 18 watt AFD built by Brian at BFG amplification, talk about a smoking lead amp wow, but for small gigs miced its a little strong.

7. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Slight hijack maybe. Have you used the Reignmaker? If so, how do you like it at different levels of attenuation. I'm considering one for an amp build, but didn't know how good the quality is unattenuated.

8. BluezyBruce

BluezyBruce Tele-Holic

I just picked up a Dr Z Brake lite but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will get back to everyone about it.

9. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Jet city is making one now has anyone tried it yet.

10. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

My old 50 watt Mesa Boogie has never had any audio taper in the master Volume below 2. The amp is either loud or off. It is a goofy design flaw with the DC-5 (I think it is a flaw).

I am looking at Weber power attenuators. Additional options include a XLR line out. It is only $15 for the XLR line out but I don't see any purpose in it. I just want to be able to have the amp on 3 or 4 and not be running stage levels that are too hot.

Anyone see a use in a XLR output on an attenuator?

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep. If you're using the amp to record with and have cab impulses available, it is a DI into your interface that captures both the preamp and power amp of your rig.

12. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

13. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Been using the Palmer PGA-04... great unit

14. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

The Unleash is really a great tool! I've had one for a month now and it is proving to be one of the most useful pieces of gear I have. All the pluses you listed, Larry, but the one that sold me was the effects loop for running all of those effects that sound best after distortion, and in this case, after even power amp distortion which amp effects loops can't even do! Expensive, though. But it does such a good job it may just be worth it. Now the real problem is that it has opened up a whole new range of amps...that I can't afford :lol:

15. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Loss of articulation at low volume probably a speaker that won't move without enough power, try a lower wattage speaker all attenuators suck tone I personally wouldn't go that route.

16. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

THD Hotplate for me. Works brilliantly in a professional or studio context, good features and I find one main feature ideal - if I am playing in a venue where the amp sounds dull or lacks bottom end - I have a bright and a deep switch - both have a subtle but great effect.

Invaluable for my Mesa Mark IV and my Fender Concert II.

17. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

The one major feature I don't think anyone has mentioned here - this allow your amp an valves to run a lot hotter and get great power tune distortion and tone, not just preamp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.