Who Makes a Champ with both Blackface/Tweed Inputs?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markesquire, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I'm interested in buying a single-knob Champ, but with each of the two inputs giving a different sound (tweed/blackface). Is that possible, and is anyone making anything like it?

I generally prefer blackface tones, but would like tweed as well. It sounds like the blackface Champ is identical to the tweed version, but merely inserts a blackface tone stack up front. It seems like it should be relatively easy to make on Champ that does both.

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure the BF and tweed Champ differ *only* in the tone stack, but you could ask the amazing Jim Nickerson at Lil Dawg if he could build something like that. He's done a number of one-off builds, I think, and can often modify one of his builds to include custom bits. Super easy to work with, great builds, and very fair prices.

3. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Can be done with a switch. But really....?

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Sure. Why not? Read on.

That's what I did with my Morpheus amp. However, (Read on.)

The way you suggest doing it requires an extra 12AX7. It's a lot simpler to build it with high and low inputs as per just about every Fender amp ever. The low input works better for keeping the clean tone clean. The high input works better for keeping the tweed tone hairy.

I built early versions with two switches. I don't remember all four settings. I eventually "simplified" it with one switch although the switch is pretty trick. Settings are '60s Champ, '50s Champ and boosted '50s Champ.

The "'60s Champ" is far cleaner than any '60s Champ could hope to be. Why not? the boosted tweed voice covers the other end of the spectrum, more aggressive than any tweed could hope to be.

5. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, Muchxs. But I'm probably not savvy enough to build/modify a kit on my own. Do you know if anyone makes something like that?

6. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I’m pretty sure FYD amps makes something like this , on the YouTube channel five watt world he demos it on one of his older videos.

EDIT :Yeah it’s called the Big Verb and he wrote something up about it on the five watt world website

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 2:42 PM
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Ceriatones "ultra champ" is almost exactly what you're looking for. Has a tone stack defeat switch, completely changes the character

8. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago I built a Champ with Blackface tone controls (bass, treble) and a switch that removes the bass control from the circuit and changes the treble control to a Tweed tone control. If I were to build something that had a single knob I would have the Blackface tone controls on a board with screwdriver pots for bass and treble, and a volume control with a push pull switch on it. Forget the two separate inputs, makes things harder.

Just modified a schematic to show what can easily be done.

[​IMG]

Or this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 11:19 AM
  9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

ToneKing Gremlin sounds like what you’re looking for. Black face and Tweed inputs with a volume and tone knob. 5 watts with a 12” speaker, $1295 new.

10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

That be the switch, but you need to wire a capacitor on the jumper between the two switches to block the DC.

11. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I probably ought to add that the way that's configured will result in a sizable pop if switched with the amp on. Using a 3 pole double throw switch with center off and wiring that in place of the power switch will help. Basically you'll have one tone or the other but not switchable in between rapidly.

12. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

+1. I do most gigs with this amp (mic’ed up)

NewKid likes this.
  13. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sounds like what you need is a VHT Special 6 or Special 6 Ultra.

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Isn't this what the Allen chihuahua does with its raw switch?

15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

266DC577-E4B4-44A2-8ECC-25DC3EFCF6F3.jpeg
    Brother, we have the same guitar! My Daphne Blue is an American Special with jumbo frets and Texas Special pickups.

My number two is my Road Worn 50s Tele. You have a nicer amp though. My is a Pro Junior, 15 watts and 10” speaker. I love it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Thought the boogie ta15 claimed that ?

17. printer2

Yeah, the problem with a quick copy and paste, missed it on the first schematic, added it in the second.

Just changed the schematic adding a cap in the Tweed setting.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM
  18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I've tried what the OP suggests. Net result was an amp that facilitates expedient comparison of "tweed" cleans and "BF" cleans. The tweed overdrive is above and beyond as well.

Once you go tweed you never go back.

19. printer2

Well, I went back. As muchxs said, comparing the sound of a Tweed to a Blackface is easy if you just flick a switch. And twiddle the volume knob if needed, the Tweed has much more gain. I like both sounds, one day I may like BF better, the other Tweed. And being able to go from one to the other the myth about BF amps having more headroom than Tweeds be just that. Roll back the bass and add some gain and there is not much difference between when the two starts getting dirty. I do like the little amp. I will probably add reverb one day though.

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Probably this, then -

If you don't mind the BF tone circuit being hardwired, then the VHT Special 6 provides some of the tweed vs. BF vibe. It has an adjustable tweed-like tone circuit, and you can toggle back and forth between BF/tweed settings via either a pull knob, or an included footswitch.

[​IMG]
    It also features turret/eyelet construction, so it's fairly easy to work on, if you ever do want to modify anything.

[​IMG]

...I've had one for a few years now, and I like using the tweed-like setting for old school overdriven stuff, but much prefer switching to the BF-like setting when using delay, reverb, or similar effects. I also can get pretty good sounds with a fuzz pedal on the BF-like setting, while the tweed-like setting tends to render just an overloaded and jumbled mess.

It looks like they are easy to find used for a half to 2/3 the price new. I suggest getting the head version, since that offers a lot of flexibility with what you might want to do with cabinets and speakers.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:36 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.