Who Likes The Fender Mustang?

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
I got one a few years back.

Sonic Blue, white tuning pegs, white-perloid pickguard -- the exact guitar that I've been lusting after since I was 16!

And I hate it :lol: I'm not gonna sell it as I love how it looks and it was a gift off a GF at the time, but I honestly can't believe how disappointed I am with the feel, sound and playability of it!

What's everyone's opinion on it here?

schoolie

Tele-Afflicted
What's wrong with Mustangs? Great guitars. I like the trem, the pickups have some bite, and I found them light and comfortable to play. Feels great with 0.012" gauge strings. WHat issues do you have with it?

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
What's wrong with Mustangs? Great guitars. I like the trem, the pickups have some bite, and I found them light and comfortable to play. Feels great with 0.012" gauge strings. WHat issues do you have with it?
The PUP switches annoy me - going out of phase halves the volume and isn't usable without readjusting the amp.

The scale length is tiny but the PF fretboard is really sticky and cumbersome to play. I've never had a board negatively affect my playing to that extent - even after multiple oilings.

I also find the trem really awkward. It resonates really inconsistently across the pitch range of the instrument as is easy to accidentally move. I also find it pretty unmusical when trying to use it on songs.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Dakota red '65 years ago, traded it away for an acoustic, don't miss it. I had a '60 slab board Duo Sonic that I let go that I miss alot, so it seems to be a case by case deal. My wife has a newer Mexican Duo Sonic and it's great.
Maybe its the Duo Sonic just don't have all the crap they put on the Stang that appeals to me.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I bought a '97 JV neck for a good price, found a repainted body online, put a mx neck pu and a rails bridge in it...rewired the switching...

much better sounding than two similar pickups....

the only thing that bugged me is the narrow nut width, but you get used to it..:)

Mustang HS rails small.jpg
mustang hot rails-single wiring big.jpg
Mustang headstock.JPG
mustang neck width at nut.JPG
Mustang neck date sm.jpg

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
I agree. I love the look and I like the short scale but I agree that most of the ones I've played have not sounded that great. Kind of lifeless. The bridge and vibrato seems to be part of it. Jags and JMs are that way too but they have way more treble on tap to compensate.

The only ones I've liked have had the pickups replaced. Bridge humbucker, in particular, seems to work out...neck pickup can be fine stock. If I was to build or buy one I'd go that way for sure.

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
Throw either one out the back door. Never liked either one. JMHO
The amp: maybe. The guitar: definitely too expensive for that approach!
I had a Dakota red '65 years ago, traded it away for an acoustic, don't miss it. I had a '60 slab board Duo Sonic that I let go that I miss alot, so it seems to be a case by case deal. My wife has a newer Mexican Duo Sonic and it's great.
Maybe its the Duo Sonic just don't have all the crap they put on the Stang that appeals to me.
I'd agree insofar as-all Mustang-type Fenders I've played have varied significantly compared to other models.
I have a sixties mustang. Best neck playing.
The neck on mine is GREAT, but the fretboard is BAD. I never gave credence to the Maple vs. Rosewood debate previously, but this (to me) is proof that board material matters to a great extent.
I bought a '97 JV neck for a good price, found a repainted body online, put a mx neck pu and a rails bridge in it...rewired the switching...

much better sounding than two similar pickups....

the only thing that bugged me is the narrow nut width, but you get used to it..:)

View attachment 1030386 View attachment 1030387 View attachment 1030388 View attachment 1030389 View attachment 1030391
I'm hoping mine will perk up after a few mods! Nice work.
I agree. I love the look and I like the short scale but I agree that most of the ones I've played have not sounded that great. Kind of lifeless. The bridge and vibrato seems to be part of it. Jags and JMs are that way too but they have way more treble on tap to compensate.

The only ones I've liked have had the pickups replaced. Bridge humbucker, in particular, seems to work out...neck pickup can be fine stock. If I was to build or buy one I'd go that way for sure.
My words exactly, and my next move.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Don’t like the short scale, the pickups (at least on the vintage ones I’ve played) or the pickup switches. The trem is fine, the rocking bridge works well enough.

The mustang bass is great though.

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
They were the guitar the store would loan you (or more likely, your parents) when you started lessons. I don't think they were ever intended to be more than that, hence the cheapest hardware and electronics, and small size, and generally low cost materials.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
I just picked up my Fender American Performer Mustang that I haven't played in a while. Sounds terrible.

It was a gift as well and I'm also keeping it.

The nut slots are way too shallow. It's going way sharp. It is not a pleasure to play at all. I'm going to have to give this one a good set up and nut filing.

Has yours had a good set up?

PXL_20221001_000427339.jpg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just picked up my Fender American Performer Mustang that I haven't played in a while. Sounds terrible.

The nut slots are way too shallow. It's going way sharp. It is not a pleasure to play at all. I'm going to have to give this one a good set up and nut filing.

View attachment 1035267
Cool finish!

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
Don’t like the short scale, the pickups (at least on the vintage ones I’ve played) or the pickup switches. The trem is fine, the rocking bridge works well enough.

The mustang bass is great though.
I have an '09 MiJ Mustang Bass and a '20 PJ PF FSR Mustang Bass and they're both amazing - 10/10 basses.

View attachment 1035267
Never had mine set up... but the issues don't feel like "set up problems", they feel endemic to the composition of the instrument.