Who likes/hates Fades (guitar finishes)?

Who likes/hates or doesn't care about the Fade guitar finish?

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • hates

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters

Speedfish

Tele-Afflicted
I know that I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to Burst finishes, but I love the way that the traditional burst outlines and accents the shape of the guitar.

I've got GAS for the Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul Modern, but don't like how the Fade loses the shape of the Lower bout. I would prefer either no burst or a traditional burst.

Who's with me on this?

Here's an example: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epipho...ric-Guitar-Magma-Orange-Fade-1500000326750.gc

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought OP meant faded like thin non-shiny finishes.

Fade paint scheme? Not really a fan. But not a deal breaker, either. The colors are traditional on that, so ok to me. To be honest, I’m even less a fan of figured tops. A figured top with some translucent non-traditional color is a no go.

But lower the price enough, and I will consider an ugly but otherwise desirable guitar. I’m cheap like that.

trevorus

Tele-Meister
The cheap Epiphone cherry burst with the teardrop is the absolute ugliest IMO. Sorry if you have one and like it, I just couldn't ever stand it.

YEPIPHONE89211.jpg

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t like them on a guitar like that or with trans finishes. They just look goofy.

To be honest I don’t even like bursts outside of tobacco burst/2tsb. If the finish is going to be trans I just prefer it to be natural/amber, cherry/wine, or walnut. blonde/tv yellow is obviously cool too on some things (like a tele or a Mary Kay strat, or a junior).

But I’m okay with those solid paint gradients on modern looking stuff like the player plus series or super strats. Not my personal choice, but it works aesthetically.

Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
When I read the OP headline, I thought it meant a musical variety of Fade Guitar Finish, of which in the example below I'm strongly in favour.

I agree with you on Sunburst vs Fades, it weakens the shape of the lower bout IMHO.
Tobacco burst is my favourite of all the burst finishes but is a narrow second to Gretsch's Cadillac Green.

I've just realised that neither of my favourite finishes feature on any of my current guitars and typing this has just triggered my PT(GAS)D.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I never would have sought one out but my Ibanez Artcore plays and sounds so good, I’m now a fade owner. The finish has definitely grown on me (cause I like playing it so much) and I do think it looks better (more subtle) in person than in picture.

E8C42886-93B0-46C6-AB7A-88DCB4CEEEDB.jpeg

pi

Tele-Meister
I don't prefer it but hate is a strong word.
It looks like somebody forgot to finish the burst.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
yeah, this is much better than those Epis; they look like the guy just got bored and quit
No, they look like a classic 'burst Les Paul where the red in the paint Gibson was using in the 1950s has faded due to exposure to light. Les Pauls in the late '50s used to come with a warning to dealers that the paint could fade via exposure to direct sunlight, as Robb Lawrence mentioned in his 2008 book, The Early Years of the Les Paul Legacy: 1915-1963.

les_paul_fade_warning_to_dealers_1-20-22-1.jpg

Since my flash blew out the caption here's a close-up:

les_paul_fade_warning_to_dealers_1-20-22-2.jpg

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Half a sunburst. Original intent as to look like a vintage guitar faded from sitting in a stand in a store window. The bottom of the guitar would get more direct sunlight in a stand that angled back. Dumb.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Fades. Fad. Kinda cool, but it will look dated in a few years.

I was sick of all my guitars being a burst. So what did I do? I bought an AP-II in Dark Night, a reverse burst.

I really showed me! :lol::lol::lol: