1T onion powder
1/2T thyme
1T oregano
1/2T cayenne

Mix well and store in an airtight container

2lbs bone in chicken thighs
1 1/2-2T Cajun Seasoning
3T EVOO
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure the Cajun seasoning gets a good rub into the chicken

Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 425 oven on a baking sheet
Cover the chicken with 1/4C (or so) your favorite BBQ sauce
Cook another 15 minutes

Let rest for 5-10 minutes and serve

Enjoy

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I put a dry rub on before cooking it, and sauce on after.

½ C Brown Sugar
¼ C Paprika
1T Black Pepper
1T Salt
1T Chili Powder
1T Garlic Powder
1T Onion Powder
1t Cayenne

Dry rub on, wrapped and left overnight in the fridge.
View attachment 992615

Loaded in the smoker.

View attachment 992616

On the plate. This was Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.

View attachment 992618

I see you making chipotles down there on that bottom rack. You know, technically we’re supposed to use red jalapeños but I’ve done a lot of green myself:)

kuch

Tele-Holic
My basic ingredient is "hawaiian" salt with a bunch of other stuff already mentioned. It's basically rock sea salt. I "push" it into the meat, good stuff. For stuff that I cook in the oven I use liquid smoke quite a bit.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
ycWMAjx.png

HomeOffisRockstar

TDPRI Member
My AP seasoning/rub is 2 parts kosher salt, 1 part course black pepper, 1 part granulated garlic. I then add paprika for color until its the right mic (usually about 1/2 part).

That stays in a large shaker bottle and i will use that by itself or as a base for a different rub depending in the cook ( ie add chili powder, brown sugar, cayenne, etc).

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I ran across a recipe for a rub that pre-dates the US Civil War. Equal parts salt, pepper, sugar, paprika. I tweaked it by adding an equal part of espresso powder. You get salty, sweet, spicy, bitter, and the caramelization of the sugar keeps the meat moist.

Lots of good packaged options these days. I like Butt Rub myself. :)

Last edited:

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
For ribs i use Mccormicks steak seasoning….then i lue BBQ sauceon top in the broiler for 5 minutes tomcarmelize the sauce….not too thick tho.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I ran across a recipe for a rub that pre-dates the US Civil War. Equal parts salt, pepper, sugar, paprika. I tweaked it by adding an equal part of espresso powder. You get salty, sweet, spicy, bitter, and the caramelization of the sugar keeps the meat moist.

Lots of good packaged options these day I like Butt Rub myself. :)

I like the idea of a recipe that pre-dates the civil war. I don’t use sugar, but I might have to try that because it’s so og.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I grew up in a basting-with-sauce-over-hickory-Fire family, and that remains my BBQ geographical center. The dry rub approach seems like an altogether different culinary planet to me.

Edit: that isn’t meant as a rip on the dry rub approach. I look forward to trying some of the suggestions here and possibly learning something. Just stating what has been my point of view up to now.

But this thread’s title: best suggestion for a dating show name ever!

Last edited:

Vegetable Man

Tele-Meister
I like this one for chicken. If you want to get real crazy, use sauce the last few minutes on the grill:

1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1 teaspoon coarse cracked black pepper (halve this if using a finer grind)

2 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon rosemary

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I am type II Diabetic. NO sauce for me. A good dry rub with little or no sugar works for baby back ribs.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I studied at the Meathead Goldwyn-Amazing Ribs school of barbecue. I highly recommend his cookbook and some of his recipes for dry rubs for pigs and birds. For blackened fish, I revert to the first cookbook Paul Prudhomme wrote back in 1987.

Sauce is another topic that brings out strong preferences based mostly on experience and geography. My favorite came from Dr. B.S. Muther's Barbecue in Garden City, Georgia. When they closed, my wife had to reverse-engineer the recipe for the sauce. She calls it Step-Muther's and it's pretty good.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
In the spirit of our hot sauce thread and seeing everyone's different opinions on that, I'm thinking it's a safe bet that many of you also have favourite dry rubs? Maybe even your own signature seasonings? Let's hear em' boils and ghouls.
I like dry rubs but usually I’m more of a marinade guy. Doing a tri-tip now with a marinade that our family has used for decades. I’ve tweaked it over the years but it’s been tried and true, so I do t really veer away from what works.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I use a dry rub based on the Marlboro Memphis Rib rub.

You finish it with a vinegar, yellow mustard and salt mop sauce.

Works great on pork and chicken. Not so much on beef.

For the beef I don't add the cumin to it and a little less chili powder. It's about the recipe of rcole's

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Four full racks of my smoker with ribs right now:
-Little mustard for a base
-paprika
-chili powder
-minced onion
-garlic salt (lightly)

When I wrap, then I'll put the brown sugar, drizzle of honey and butter in the foil. Finish it off with Sweet Baby Rays unwrapped.

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
For me, dry rub + vinegar based mopping sauce while cooking. Always use mix of salty, spicy & onion/garlicky. Sugar and herbs added depending on the dish. Sometimes dip into a spicy vinegar or mustard sauce after cooking. I’m not big on thicker styles of bbq sauce myself

Most importantly, fresh roasted and ground whole spices make a huge difference.