Who knows what this is?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bush Wiebe, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

It's not a pedal I know, but I was thinking of adding it to my pedal board and just telling people that it's the holy grail of tone and only two were ever made. And I have one. :twisted:

Anyway, it says Helpinstill Guitar Sensor on it. It has a clip on the back to wear somehow I guess. Anyone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Helpinstill makes pickups for pianos. I imagine yours is a preamp for a piezo guitar pickup of some kind.

3. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Here's how it would look on the board. I think it works. If nothing else it'll mess with some poor guitar player who can't figure out what it is :D

Attached Files:

4. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Oh, cool! Thanks. I found it in some random cupboard at a church and the sound guy gave it to me. He had no idea what it was either. Thank you!!

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Obviously it senses when a guitar is plugged into it. :D

6. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

It must have had a pickup that came with it if it's like the piano sensors. Maybe you can find it somewhere at church?

Added:Look up the prices on the piano sensors, very spendy item.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The Model 65 looks like a simpler version of those used for piano. Something like the Model 180 was like three in one. Below is a picture of the Model 185, which had stereo output.

[​IMG]

The box itself looks to be not much more than a passive outboard volume control. If you think about it, something like a piano with a 'sensor' (e.g. pickup) added will require a volume control also.

The big question is what kind of guitar was the Model 65 intended for, and what does the actual pickup look like? It's a magnetic sensor, so it shouldn't be something that would have been used for acoustic guitars.

8. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

I'll check at the church to see if there is a pickup somewhere. Any idea of what that would look like? It would be nice to have the complete piece.

Cool little item!

9. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Wow, those things are expensive! Maybe the sound guy wouldn't have given it to me if he knew :neutral:. I'll try to find the actual pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.