Who knows their own limitations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My heart was touched by your post. I'm sorry for the cards life has dealt you, and the worries you face. I hope things improve for you. I hit the like button because your post touched my heart, not because of your situation. To play at all with all that you face is an inspiration to me.

idjster likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

One problem that I grapple with is some form of attention deficit, or not being able to finish things even though I have plenty of half baked ideas. I'll get to the 90% point on something and then drop it for a year. I'm not even a perfectionist, I don't think.

Another one is the desire to collaborate with other people while simultaneously not being interested in their ideas. Maybe I'll get past that one.

I would have said "writing words" but then all of a sudden recently I got some ideas for words. I put some of them up here more or less as a goof and it's a good thing I did because a month later I had forgotten all about them.

I'm OK on rhythm guitar and bass and can play solos by ear - within the context of my own writing it's like a "walled garden". I can't really play fast but I don't care about that any more.

PS I didn't even read the thread asking if I was "GREAT".

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I consider myself a well above average player, but age, osteoarthritis, and short term memory loss are beginning to take their toll. I hate moving gear because my back always hurts afterwards, and if I practice a new song all afternoon Sunday, I'll have forgotten half of it by Tuesday's rehearsal until I've played it 100 times. That's why I need an iPad on a mic stand or I'm lost. I'm OK with my current band because we run everything direct and use IEMs, there's no real amps or drums. My ears couldn't take the volume of a real band any more, and these guys are my co-workers. My guess is, this band is my last band.

4. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I’m very aware of my limitations. Some examples: I have a physical limit that won’t allow me to shred beyond a certain speed, which applies to rock, blues or jazz, and I can only strum so fast on those BREs (Big Rock Endings). Although not clinically proven, I am dyslexic, and that has limited my ability to read music or anything, beyond a certain level my whole life. I can read chord charts pretty well but will get lost easily if the chart is too complicated.

I have always been a focused stiff on stage and don’t have the physical characteristics or personal style to allow me to fit into show-driven genres, and that seems to be just about all of them. I have been aware of this for a long time and thought that being a session guitarist was my calling... until I realized how limited my reading skills were.

Even with my personal limitations and the limited gigging opportunities where I live I’ve had a fairly good run by continually trying to increase my value by being a fairly versatile guitarist, becoming good at picking out harmonies quickly and adding a Roland synth guitar to my arsenal to add extra sound to a guitar based band (keyboardists are hard to find around here).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.