Who knows their own limitations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I was going to camp tonight, but after riding my motorcycle in the rain all day, I knew I couldn't take setting up camp again, in the dark, in the rain. Writing from a motel.

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I can fingerpick well, good at slide, can navigate multiple open tunings on guitar and lap steel as well. I have good feel and timing, recall of a few hundred songs. My solos are generally concise and are worked out note by note in advance. (endless noodling irritates me) I sing and play bass too.

My limitations are Jazz, Bluegrass and speed metal. Maybe I'm better than I thought...maybe.

3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

My style is shaped by my limitations. Should I try to improve on my weaknesses or explore my strengths.

4. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I’m so sorry for your loss. How old was your son?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

I tend to think of my self as a songwriter/composer before i think of myself as a guitarist. Guitar is important for the songs, but for me its about the whole record. Timing is my main weakness.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've hit my limitations on guitar so hard, I once gave up for about 7 years.
    Lost a lot of ground.
    I still cringe when I hear myself play.
    The only thing that keeps me going is songwriting.
    I actually REALLY LIKE the songs I write and, probably delusionally, think they're on par with some people who are getting serious recognition for their songs.
    My guitar playing really bums me out, though.

7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Flat6Driver, 24 track and Shuster like this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

After many years i have learned that we all have strengths and weaknesses, depending on circumstance both can be limiting. Don't be defined by either.

9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I know them, but I Really Love them:):):)
    thRCGADPTT.jpg thV416DWJA.jpg ;;.jpg

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

in the words of jackson browne "Don't confront me with my failures
    I had not forgotten them" I'm always painfully aware of my short comings... and failures and limitations... even in moments of triumph.. they 'echo loud and clear'

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

He was 52. I am fortunate to still have a son and daughter that I love very much, but he was my eldest.

24 track likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I’m well aware of what I can—and can’t—do...

I’m a better harp player than guitarist, better at slide guitar than “normal” technique, and write songs that are above my playing abilities often, so they either sit until I figure out how to play it or hum/sing it to another guitarist/pianist/whatever and let them play it.

I’m better at blues than any other style (guitar and harp), but sing country better than any other style.

I know what I can and can’t do, but I’m adventurous enough to try things above my “punching weight”...but only during rehearsal or private jam sessions, not during a performance...

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'm probably better than I think I am. I'd almost have to be, I think I'm awful.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes:D

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I am proficient enough as a bass player , I can hold my own in any situation , I have worked with some of the best in the industry as far as guitar players ,I could never hold their running shoes when comes to style and technique and while I dont profess to emulate them or take tricks and style from them , I can hear intervals and run with that along with key changes , I get more joy out of writing my own tunes now ( I have no interest in being a bar band ) I have enough technical know how to go above and beyond the norm , but I could never compare to the technicleese of alot of players, let alone know the songs

my limitations are I need 2 hrs of uninterupted practice before a performance to warm up to get past the point of making mistakes, after my spine surgery I had lost all sensations in my chording hand it came back slowly but my speed and dexterity have diminished some what, but I was able to relearn new approaches to playing.

that and I never want to play Cocaine ever again!

16. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m not a good guitar player.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

WOW! :eek: I seriously wondered if this thread idea would be too redundant to even draw attention! I posted then my wife called me to supper, then we watched some TV together, then I put her to bed. And now I find that instead this thread has just blown up! I guess I should make good on my promise to 'fess up...

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

It must be extremely difficult to outlive your own son. I can’t imagine what that must be like. God bless, I hope it gets easier with time.

stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

My greatest limitation as a guitar player is that I don't play guitar very well. Incredibly limiting, it turns out.

Fortunately, I am not as limited when it comes to the ability to have fun, and work my way into musical situations where I can do the stuff I can do and it fits in well enough that I get to keep doing it.

JL_LI likes this.
  20. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've said this before in another thread: I am good enough to get on stage and perform, and people do not throw things at me. If I am spotted in the audience by another musician I know, I am sometimes invited up to stand in for a song. Once a buddy of mine asked me to stand in for him on a song because he wanted to work the sound board for awhile. I still can't make a living at it, or even put together enough gigs to earn my beer money, but that's just the way it is. I still love to play and will continue to do so until I die, and someone else inherits my gear. I hope they will enjoy it.
    My son-in-law, without my knowledge, did a short video of me on his cell phone to show his friends. He says he still gets requests to see "that old guy shredding".

stevemc and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.