Who knows their own limitations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 7, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

P-Nutz started the How many of you are “great” guitar players? thread. I read a bunch of the replies to that thread (even commented myself), but didn’t see anyone laying claim to the appellation “great.” Makes me think there should be a “who of us here knows his/her own limitations as a guitar player” counter-thread.

Actually, quite a few replies there responded in terms of laying out their respective strengths and weaknesses, so maybe this thread isn’t necessary. I thought about just letting it lie, but decided to go ahead and create the thread, and if it’s redundant, it’s redundant and probably won’t draw that much attention.

I’ll ‘fess up myself later on, but I’ll give some other brave soul the privilege of kicking it off.

idjster and bcorig like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Strengths - I think I have excellent rhythm, in so far as I can adapt to just about any style. A lot of players I know can’t. I can sit in with anyone, anywhere. No rehearsal.

Weaknesses. Single line playing while improvising. Chord substitution (improvising).

What do I mean by single line? I heard myself recorded the other day for the first time in years. While the rhythm and backup work was ok, my lead playing sounded... hesitant, yet forced. I think I need more legato, and let the music flow and breathe more. I think I need to 'let go' and stop overthinking. I also need to use pentatonic scales better and use other notes.

I am working on this.

Ps, no one will read this, but you asked so I’m just thinking aloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

My limitations know no bounds... If I was any better I'd suck at guitar playing, but right now I'm struggling getting up to the "you suck" category! Hopefully I'll make it before years end...

Stringbanger likes this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fingerpicking. Absolutely rubbish. I’ve just never put in the hours.

And as I really can’t sing, singing and playing is also something I’ve never worked on and really can’t do.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Flat6Driver and Rob77 like this.
  5. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I know all too well I have, but choose to ignore and try anyway.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    teletail and Telecastoff1 like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don’t have many strengths. I am not as fast and clever as the notes in my head (I can say that because you can’t hear them). I have always manage to mix fairly well to a song and support vocals etc. I can occasionally write and record a good groove tune. My biggest limitations have to do with my vocal range. It’s frustrating not to be able to sing things I want to play.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My limitations are that I've simply lost interest in music. Since my son died, it's as if that part of me is dead. Save for the rarest of occasions where I have been asked to perform, I just don't play anymore. A cousin of my wife's offered me the opportunity a year or two ago to go into a nice studio that he had some time coming at from a deal he had done for them. Up until fairly recently he was a working stuntman in the movies, and came across some pretty cool deals with other people in the business. I fumbled around and let the opportunity get away. I just couldn't get up for it, I'm sorry that I let him down, he really wanted to get me in there for a session or two, I just couldn't muster up the desire. An opportunity lost, and I'm sure I embarrassed him for not doing it, and I'm sorry that I did. Now time is robbing me of almost all the things I once could do well, perhaps I feared failure. At any rate, it's too late to worry about it.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I didn’t even bother to post in the other thread. I wish was more self aware. It’s not easy to judge yourself.

getbent likes this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If I'm not intimately familiar, no worries...spouse will remind me.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody with any sense realizes one always has shortcomings and room to improve ... We are all a work in progress ... Even the best have more to learn ... That fact should drive us to have even higher goals ... Its a journey ...

Telecastoff1 and dlew919 like this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm cognizant enough of my limits to have a vague idea of where they are, but ignorant enough of them to be able to kinda sorta ignore them till it's too late.

Sometimes cool stuff happens there.

12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I can’t shred. I know my scales and chord shapes. I can play with emotion and improvise very well. I can transpose on the fly. My rhythm, timing and feel are good. But I can’t shred. I can fake it with lots of fast hammer ons and pull offs.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know this is supposed to be about your own limitations, but I thought I would mention one of my wife's limitations. She is not really able to exert enough force on the screw at the back of my neck, that increases the overall tension in my body. So, she ordered this, when it arrives, I guess we'll find out if it's the right tool for the job.

[​IMG]

telestratosonic and tubedood like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I can put on this CD to remind me just how very limited my guitar abilities are...

willie ray and Shuster like this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know mine.
    I know my strengths, too.
    Thanks, Dad.

16. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I know my limitations vocally and musically but still try and push the envelope sometimes.

telestratosonic, Rob77 and tubedood like this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Shuster likes this.
  18. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Playing in a covers band, I can do an OK job covering typical rock/pop songs - but playing it note perfect is not my strength, nor is improvising in an unfamiliar key. My own fault for not spending time learning other keys than the major/minor scales.

Also suck at fingerpicking - being a self taught guitarist I picked up alot of bad habits. A few years back I tried to get lessons to play properly - unfortunately my little finger has a mind of its own and I found it impossible to re-teach it.

19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I’m not a shredder and can’t do fancy sweep picking stuff but I’m not really interested in that anyways. Hard to say what makes a person great because everyone has different standards and goals.

I am limited in song writing. I really enjoy when someone else writes it and I can come up with cool hooks and second guitar parts but I could never write a good song with a good melody. I would rather be a side man.

Limitations can be good though and it either lets you make the most of what you can do or shows the horizon of what you could be better with more pratice

20. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I smash full-tilt into mine all the time. I think one of them moved a little last time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.